• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (KILLED) SPORT COMPACT CAR Magazine

Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees

Posted Nov 21st 2008 4:01PM by Damon Lavrinc

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/s...aying-off-115/

Wow!!!

I've been an avid reader of SCC for about 7 years now... The import tuning magazine scene won't be the same without them!!! Sure: there are other solid mags out there that give good advice, & have interesting articles, but not many stood up to the caliber of SCC. Most auto mags fill their pages with women with almost nothing on & 12 page interviews with them... dont get me wrong: I love women with almost nothing on... & nothing on is even better But if I'm looking for suspension advice, or cheap ways to increase HP, or if i want to know how the new STI handles, I don't want to read about what kind of guys Jeri Lee was into in high school...am i wrong??
    I like my car magazines to have CARS in it... If i want a magazine with naked women I'll pick up a Playboy or something...

I guess I'm gunna miss SCC

Comment

Originally posted by INFO View Post
      Source Interlink kills Sport Compact Car, laying off 115 employees

Posted Nov 21st 2008 4:01PM by Damon Lavrinc

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/21/s...aying-off-115/
      Oh, that's just wrong! Kill Stupor Street instead, not SCC. That's like killing off Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
        Oh, that's just wrong! Kill Stupor Street instead, not SCC. That's like killing off Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!
        Agreed. Super Street hasn't really added anything in terms of technical write ups, and diversity(i'm sick of seeing civics and evo's every other page)

Comment

Wow... This sucks.

Comment

heard about this Tuesday, didnt want to be the first to post it up

Comment

Modified Luxeries and Exotics, Kit Car, and a few other titles also got killed off.

this sucks

Comment

SCC was my favorite magazine in the 90's but I have not purchased an issue for some time.

Print mags have a lot working against them now

1-Event Coverage; No live updates, no videos and the space for photos is limited. The internet is better for this

2-Editor Features; Some forums/blogs do a good job of filling us in on what is happening in this industry.

3-Tech Features; There is a limit to what can be covered in a print magazine. The cost of printing a long detailed feature that only benefits a fraction of their readers really puts a cap on what they can do. Some good features get shot down because of this.

4-Internet Enabled phones; before a magazine was needed when you were not by a computer and you needed to kill time at an airport or while you waited at the dentist. I just use my sidekick now.

I still like magazines because some have the budget and resources to do features that are out of the reach of most websites.
                Last edited by alex; 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Many of you many not know but one of my first internships while in college was with SCC and european car magazine (at that time it was McMullen Argus Publishing). It was Greg Gill (at that time the VP of Sales for McMullen now the publisher of TPR) that hired me on. Then after graduating UCLA, Greg brought me on full-time to sell ads for both those magazines. And thus began my career. I had many great memories from the years I was there and so hearing of this news is sad to me. SCC had gone through lots of ups and downs and battled through many obstacles to produce a great magazine but when the economy turns, bean-counters have to do their thing... RIP SCC.

Comment

Is Import Tuner still alive? That would be ironic....what does that leave us in the tuner segment?

Super Street & Import Tuner?

RIP magazine industry, hello internet.

Comment

Originally posted by craiglieberman View Post
                      Is Import Tuner still alive? That would be ironic....what does that leave us in the tuner segment?

Super Street & Import Tuner?

RIP magazine industry, hello internet.
                      Yes.

Import Tuner, Super Street, Modified, Honda Tuning, and Euro Tuner are all still alive at Primeda.

DSport is still kicking, along with Performance Auto and Sound, and S3 magazine (sometimes).

Comment

Working...
                      X