X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (DRIVERS LIST) D1 GRAND PRIX 2009 Update

WORLDS TOP DRIVERS EXPRESS COMMITMENT TO D1GP USA SERIES

-- Excitement Builds as D1GP USA Announces First Drivers List --

LOS ANGELES (January 22, 2009) – D1GP USA (www.d1gp.com), the auto industry’s premier drifting series, continues its momentum forward by releasing the first list of drivers committed to participating in the 2009 D1GP USA series. Coming on the heels of their 2009 Rulebook and Championship Points Series announcement, the new management team at D1GP USA is releasing its list of committed drivers. At the top is the 2008 D1GP Champion Daigo Saito, followed by Yoichi Imamura, D1GP’s #2 ranked driver. As D1GP continues to confirm driver participation, we will be posting updates to the D1GP web site.

“With a new Championship Points Series outlet in the United States , these drivers have chosen to participate in D1GP USA in 2009. The drivers will ship their cars here and those cars will remain on the D1GP USA transporters for the entire season taking part in D1GP USA exclusive events as well as promotional stops. What is going to make the D1GP USA Series so exciting is the participation of the world’s elite drift teams. We are setting the stage for fierce competition where drivers are working hard for the Championship,” said Rich Goodwin, president, D1GP USA.

Spotlighting the Drivers
    Daigo Saito (#1 Ranked Driver - 2008 D1 Champion) – Saito started competing in the D1 Grand Prix in the third round of the 2004 season in his red Toyota Mark II JZX90. Since then he has improved steadily placing 32nd overall in 2005; 14th in 2006; 7th in 2007 and winning the D1GP Championship in 2008.

Yoichi Imamura (#2 Ranked Driver) – Imamura is one of the most highly regarded drift drivers in the D1GP. He was the winner of the 2003 D1GP Championship and winner of 2008 D1 Tokyo Drift. He ranked #2 in 2008. He is also the record holder for the most D1GP wins.

Ken Nomura (#4 ranked D1 driver) – Nomura is one of the longest reigning participants in the D1GP making his debut in the D1 Grand Prix in the 3rd round in 2001, driving the Blitz D1 Spec ER34 Skyline, which he still drives today. He began in 1992 as the runner up in the All Japan Ikaten Finals. In the D1 events, he is known for his imitation of a monkey and as the pioneer of the smoke technique. In 2006, he won the D1GP All Star event. In 2007 he placed 2nd in the D1GP series and in 2008 he placed 4th overall.

Takahiro Ueno (#8 ranked D1 driver) – Ueno began competing in the D1 Grand Prix in his Toyota Soarer JZZ30 in the first round in 2001. He went on to win round #4 of the season and finishing 3rd in the overall D1GP Championship. He has gone on to score points in every year since, last year placing 8th in the D1GP Championship

Toshiki Yoshioka (#9 ranked D1 driver) – He first competed in the D1 Grand Prix in the first round of 2002 and has always scored points in every season placing 12th in 2002; 6th in 2003; 13th in 2004; 8th in 2005; 5th in 2006; 8th in 2007 & 10th in 2008. For 2008, Yoshioka has switched from his trusty AE86 to a Lexus SC430 prepared by renowned tuning garage Tom's.

D1GP USA has invited all top 10 drivers from Japan to compete. The expectation is that the remaining drivers will confirm over the course of the next month. In addition, D1GP USA is now extending invitations to the remaining field of Professional D1 drivers of which many have expressed interest in competing. In addition to the Japanese drivers, the D1GP USA office has been flooded with calls from Professional American drivers looking for an alternative outlet to compete. The expectation is that now that the rulebook, prize money and judging system have been outlined, many drivers will begin to register once registration opens on February 1st.

Driven Events, Inc. (D1GP USA Management)
    D1GP USA is operated by Southern California based, Driven Events. The company licensed the rights to D1 Grand Prix in the United States in late 2008 and they share a long term vision with D1GP Japan. Driven Events is made up of auto industry insiders. Led by Rich Goodwin and Michael Munar, the D1GP is under complete new management. Both Goodwin and Munar were the founders of the original Hot Import Nights (HIN) started in the late 90’s. They sold HIN in 2004 and Goodwin and Munar went separate ways and have now reunited specifically for this project. They are partnered with Ed and Emil Arguellas, the founders of Extreme Autofest. The group has also employed many of the original HIN & Autofest team who are now working to build one of the best new drifting events in the U.S.

For more information on the D1GP USA, please visit http://www.d1gp.com/. For media inquiries please contact Terry Miller, terry@drivenmc.com.

Sooooo, I'm assuming the top 10 FD drivers don't get an automatic invite?

Comment

boring.....

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
        Sooooo, I'm assuming the top 10 FD drivers don't get an automatic invite?
        D1 doesn't recognize an FD license. IF you're an FD driver, and you haven't driven at a D1 driver search, you have to drive at a D1 driver search. If you have a D1 license, and don't drive for 2 or 3 years, your license is no longer valid.

Since there wasn't a D1 event last year, the number of US-licensed D1 drivers is pretty small right now.

Comment

not true if you read the rulebook. drivers from any professional organization are allowed to enter and do not need to enter a "drivers search". So if an FD, DMCC or any other licensed driver from another organization wants to compete, they fill out the petition for a license, send it in and then are issued a D1 provisional license. On the first event, all Pro drivers must compete in Pro-Qualifying (all drivers) to determine the top 30 for Pro Competition. The top 16 from the 1st event will be seeded going int othe 2nd event and will not have to enter qualifying rounds.

Comment

the D1 is the worst with their lets only let 4 american drivers into the top 16 so we can beat them and make us look better, crap.

America does reconize D1 as drifting.

FD is real drif racing.

Comment

yup drif racing

Comment

Originally posted by LV240s14 View Post
                the D1 is the worst with their lets only let 4 american drivers into the top 16 so we can beat them and make us look better, crap.

America does reconize D1 as drifting.

FD is real drif racing.
                Its all about who qualifies man. JR has beat d1 twice. The first time he beat D1 champions yoichi and kazama. If D1 is so against americans, why would the let an american, in a mustang, beat them 2wice at their own game! come on, lets get serious about this.

Some of you guys need to stop nut riding FD already and just enjoy D1 drifting for what it is.

Comment

What happened to Kazama? I haven't heard that guys name in years. Does he even drift anymore or does he just focus on his shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
                    Its all about who qualifies man. JR has beat d1 twice. The first time he beat D1 champions yoichi and kazama. If D1 is so against americans, why would the let an american, in a mustang, beat them 2wice at their own game! come on, lets get serious about this.

Uhhh dude, didn't i point this out during the last argument you tried to have in the "events" section?

Yea...

Why because it sells DVDs...

The first time was a accident... second time was just a staged JR rape party.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      Yea...

More than you'll ever know!

Comment

Yea...

Yes, it's true. D1 is all about selling DVD's. Everyone knows this. And Terry, we all know your past with D1. You don't need to take a swing at them in every D1 thread. We know you don't agree with their organization.

Uhhh dude, didn't i point this out during the last argument you tried to have in the "events" section

The first time was a accident... second time was just a staged JR rape party.
                        But, I am sick and tired of all the conspiracy theorists saying JR's wins were staged or a "rape party". As an integral part of JR's program during both wins, I can tell you JR had to earn both victories fair and square and he and his team did just that with great poise. Even if D1 said, "We want JR to win." he still had to qualify, run top 16, and even endure numerous one more times that he could have fumbled. If his driving wasn't on point he couldn't have won either event. These victories were hardly handed to JR and his team. Get over it.

Oh yea, and drifting's dead in the US and we need the grass roots org's to "make drifting fun again". I'm so over the negativity and fake hype. If you don't like "pro" drifting stick to the Am/demo events and quit complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
                          2wice
                          LOLWUT? Unless you're talking about the sequel to a (bad) movie or the second CD released by a (bad) band, no one should ever spell 'twice' that way. Seriously.

Comment

From reading this thread, I see so many bitterness toward D1.
                            Like Rodney King would say, "Can 't we all just get along?"

FD events are a little boring because there are only a handful of really good drivers. That's probably why you see the same 4-5 people on the podium year after year because only a handful of FD drivers can really live up to the hype.

With the current economic crisis, I'll skip FD events this year and attend D1. Though it is not their fault, I'm tired of watching the same drivers in FD winning because the rest of the drivers haven't really improved or challenged them.

Comment

Originally posted by SSmith View Post
                              FD events are a little boring because there are only a handful of really good drivers. That's probably why you see the same 4-5 people on the podium year after year because only a handful of FD drivers can really live up to the hype.

With the current economic crisis, I'll skip FD events this year and attend D1. Though it is not their fault, I'm tired of watching the same drivers in FD winning because the rest of the drivers haven't really improved or challenged them.
                              SSmith you are killing me bro! You say FD events are boring, man, I understand what you are trying to say, but step back and think about it.

D1 this year, they are going to bring their golden boys from Japan, the guys with the best records to show America the D1 drifting force. Which is really awesome and hope that our team will have an opportunity to compete against them. If the top American drivers do not come out to D1, then you will have 5 Japanese pros and the rest of the Pro-Am guys in each state taking a crack at them and hoping to get lucky.

I know you feel that there are the same guys winning FD, which is true in some aspects, but untrue in many others. Honestly, in what judged sport would a number 10 guy be able to beat the number 1 guy twice in one season. Robbie N was able to beat Tanner in Vegas and Seattle, and believe it or not, underdogs do have a chance in FD. I think with Rhys, Tanner, Sam, JR, Tyler, and Dai all building new cars, this is going to be a really exciting 2009 season.

Until the American drivers confirm for D1, you will see such a huge difference in talent with the Pro Japanese and the guys hoping to get lucky.

In regards to JR and Falken, I have no reason to back that team up, but JR deserved and earned those victories over the D1 drivers. JR is good, but he is exceptional at Irwindale, he is a madman there! I have heard Tsuchiya comment about JRs driving and he loves his style. Many of the drivers are strategist when it goes into tandem. I think JRs style is 110%, instead of playing strategy, i think that might be greatest asset and weakness. The Japanese judges can feel that energy and style and they love him for it and that's is why he wins their hearts. Thats just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X