Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW D1GP JUDGE - Adam Andretti

text from D1GP USA

In the world of Motorsports, there are a few great names that come to mind and there are even fewer names that come to mind when you think in terms of a motorsports family name. The names Foyt, Earnhart and Unser stand out as great families of motorsports, but there is one name that stands above all others and considered motorsports royalty and that name is Andretti. We are very proud to welcome a member of that royal family, Adam Andretti to D1GP USA.

Adam Andretti is the younger brother of veteran NASCAR driver John Andretti, nephew of Indianapolis 500 winner Mario Andretti, first cousin to IndyCar champion Michael & Jeff Andretti, second cousin to IndyCar driver Marco Andretti and son of Aldo Andretti.

Andretti's racing career started in 1994 at the age of 15 with the help of his brother John, who helped Adam obtain a ride in the new half-scale Mini Cup Stock Car series, driving at the Velodrome in Indianapolis. He showed promise by winning four races in 1995 and finishing fourth in the series championship. After his stint in the Mini Stocks, Andretti raced 125cc shifter karts for the next two years in the SKUSA series. In 1998, he finished second at the Formula C World Karting Championship held in Charlotte, North Carolina. In 2000, Andretti drove the #12 car in the United States Formula 3 Championship where he finished third in the series points championship. In 2001 and 2002, he drove in NASCAR's Featherlite Southwest Series. In 2003, Andretti drove at Sebring Raceway in the SPEED World Challenge Series and drove in the 2004 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona.

From 2004 - 2007, he has served as a racing instructor for Road & Track magazine and driving schools, including the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Andretti made his Indy Pro Series debut at Chicagoland Speedway on September 9, 2007. On December 17th he signed a deal with the new FuZion Autosport team. Adam will serve as one of three judges for the D1GP USA Championship Points Series in 2009. Could an Andretti be behind the wheel in a D1GP USA event in the near future? We sure hope so. Welcome to the team Adam!

what the FCUK does he know about drifting? How can he be an effective judge?

That is like having Lance Armstrong be a judge in a freestyle BMX contest.
    Or having Valentino Rossi judge the X-games FMX.
    it's like the Chewbacca theory.
    Chewbacca is a wookie from the planet Kyshaak.... OJ is not guilty!

Comment

Wow... D1 just made a step behind nopi lmao

how lame

wake up D1

Comment

Another clown for the circus....................

Comment

Dear D1

This does not add credibility to your American series. Get a clue.

ugh.

Comment

He will be judging line and over all impression which he propably dont know anything about ????? ouh wait !!??? Line i heard that is pretty important in road racing as well??? Oh wait judging the overall is Hard?? NOT really since anyone can see if they are all out or not.
            dont forget to see that most of the judging will be done by the Drift Box not by humans.
            Finally the sport has a small change of becoming a real MOTORSPORT which no judged motorsport will ever be unless they can get hard data to back up their rulings, which the drift box should provide, atleast I hope it will, otherwise drifting will remain a show (like Monster trucks) rather than a real motorsport.
            The way I see it drifting has two ways of progressing the sport
            1. keep it a show (Like X-Games, Monster trucks, any judged sport with Politics)
            2. Make it into real motorsport (which is what D1, FD are trying to push for, but with out the help of any hard data all the other real Motorsport drivers, WRC, F1, ALMS, GT etc... wont take it seriously)

So make your selection you can only choose one.
            Last edited by Ter-Tech Drift; 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry but if you want to race sideways, then just go circle track racing.

Drifting is still about style, judgeing isnt easy, hard data or not. If you want to go by who is the fastest, has the most angle, and still is on line, then you must have some kinda equation like......

angle + speed - inches from apex = nothing that the fans care about.
              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Comment

I think Nick Hogan would be a better judge than this guy. Jesus.

*edit* Someone tell him to sign up here and at least explain his qualifications for being a D1 judge.
                  Last edited by Cavi Mike; 02-21-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Family with great history for sure, but i just don't see how he factors in like many of you have said.

Comment

I think everyone on this forum would make a better judge.

There, I said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ter-Tech Drift View Post
                        He will be judging line and over all impression which he probably doesn't know anything about. Line, I heard is pretty important in road racing as well. Oh wait, judging the overall is hard?. Not really since anyone can see if they are balls out or not. Don't forget to see that most of the judging will be done by the Drift Box not by humans. Finally the sport has a small change of becoming a real MOTORSPORT which no judged motorsport will ever be unless they can get hard data to back up their rulings, which the drift box should provide, at least I hope it will, otherwise drifting will remain a show (like Monster trucks) rather than a real motorsport. The way I see it drifting has two ways of progressing the sport:

1. Keep it a show (X-Games, Monster trucks, any judged sport with Politics)
                        2. Make it into real motorsport (which is what D1, FD are trying to push for, but with out the help of any hard data all the other real Motorsport drivers, WRC, F1, ALMS, GT etc... wont take it seriously.

Harri Usually I agree with you but not this time. Drifting #1 is about having fun, most serious motorsports aren't fun. Why would we want to have it turn into a numbers game. Thats probly one of the coolest things about drifting is that it isn't a hardcore cutthroat sport. Its the reason I stick with it instead of doing road racing or rally.

This is a community sport more than anything else and to bring in someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the sport to judge our runs and saying "Well it can't be that hard to be a judge" is gonna piss most people off. When there are plenty of other people who have competed in the past that would make very competent judges. This this guy is getting the job simply because of his last name is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored*.

Comment

I didn't read anything about his experience with "drifting" in the biography. The "ANDRETTI" last name is probably the most popular last name in motorsport history.

However, D1, the majority of drifting fans are between 16-25 years old, and probably have no clue who the Andrettis are. So exploiting the "Andretti" name to gain credibility and/or acceptability doesn't work for us fans.

You guys are better off teaching a effin monkey to be a judge. That would really put D1 back on the map. More fans would come out to see the monkey than they would Andretti.

Comment

Originally posted by Piner View Post
                            Harri Usually I agree with you but not this time. Drifting #1 is about having fun, most serious motorsports aren't fun. Why would we want to have it turn into a numbers game. Thats probly one of the coolest things about drifting is that it isn't a hardcore cutthroat sport. Its the reason I stick with it instead of doing road racing or rally.

This is a community sport more than anything else and to bring in someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the sport to judge our runs and saying "Well it can't be that hard to be a judge" is gonna piss most people off. When there are plenty of other people who have competed in the past that would make very competent judges. This this guy is getting the job simply because of his last name is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored*.
                            Sorry Piner that post is not Mine. Anyways someone edited it and posted it different from what mine was.
                            Anyways the message is that he is more qualified to judge line than anyone in this forum, since roadracers study line all their life, that is what the whole sport is all about. Again as far as I understand he is NOT Judging the two hardest things to Judge in drifting which are Angle and Speed. Right now speed is judged by nothing but the entry speed and the angle is eyeballed by the judges there is no way of knowing if the driver is at full lock you can just give an educated guess. If he was judging either of those two I would have to agree with you Piner, but again since that is done by Computer and He will only Judge Line and Overall impression (Style, Aggressivness call it what ever you want) I think he is very qualified. Also bringing a big name into the sport will hopefully bring new sponsors and new blood into drifting which we all could use.

So I'm guessing Piner voted for Show rather than real competition.

Comment

[QUOTE=gigglesnirt;219715][/QUOTE
                              !

Comment

Working...
                              X