Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (MOPAR ENDS SPONSORSHIP) Samuel Hübinette/NuFormz

From Wrecked

Rumors have been flaring up the last few days that Chrsyler has discontinued the Nuformz/MOPAR drifting team and we just received confirmation from their PR firm that this is in fact the truth. Reports have been coming in that Shawn Carlson and the NuFormz team are currently seeking a new car, possibly to continue the new season with another OE. So I am guessing it’s safe to say we won’t be seeing that Dodge Challenger we got promised at Round 3 in Wall, New Jersey. I guess time will tell

My question is.... what company is willing to back them.

Ford: Taken
    Pontiac: Gone
    Scion: Taken X2
    Hyundai: Taken(for the moment)

Mabey VW? or BMW?

LOL
    Last edited by Bebop; 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM.

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
    From Wrecked

Rumors have been flaring up the last few days that Chrsyler has discontinued the Nuformz/MOPAR drifting team and we just received confirmation from their PR firm that this is in fact the truth. Reports have been coming in that Shawn Carlson and the NuFormz team are currently seeking a new car, possibly to continue the new season with another OE. So I am guessing it’s safe to say we won’t be seeing that Dodge Challenger we got promised at Round 3 in Wall, New Jersey. I guess time will tell

My question is.... what company is willing to back them.

Ford: Taken
    Pontiac: Gone
    Scion: Taken X2
    Hyundai: Taken(for the moment)

Mabey VW? or BMW?

LOL
    Well, just because they lost Chrysler, does that really mean they cannot use Dodge vehicles? Also, are they not under contract?

Comment

If this is true...I hope to god they can get the new Camaro from GM!

Its a long shot but hey a guy can dream.

Either way if they already have the challenger I dont see any reason why Chrysler would take it back.

They've already chopped it up and did all the work to it.

Chances are this just means whatever reamining sponsorship payments for '09 wont be paid to the Nuformz team.

If this is actually true and Nuformz is smart they'll hang onto the challenger. Run Sam in the Viper for the rest of the year since we all know hes good in that car. Then when 09 is up try to re-negotiate.
      Last edited by MonkeySlide; 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

You guys must not know how much money mopar forks out to run they're team... this is cutting there budget by at least 50%.

And if anyone deserves some backing by GM right now it Gardella/Ryan T, they are actually winning without factory support.

Comment

Prior to the season, MOPAR cut all motorsport programs except drifting and pro stock drag racing. That includes all Nascar activities (people who already had cars were fine, but Mopar wouldn't be spending any money to support / market those teams), midget cars, off road stuff, etc...

the fact that they kept drifting in the budget for as long as possible is a testament to the confidence MOPAR had in Drifting as a marketing tool to youth and young adults.

I hope Shaun, Sam, and the team can find enough sponsorship to finish out the season and continue into next year.

Comment

Mopar® Announces Plan To End Sponsorship Of NuFormz Racing
            Decision is part of Chrysler LLC’s comprehensive restructuring plan

Center Line, Mich. — Mopar®, Chrysler LLC’s Parts division, announced it will end its majority sponsorship of the NuFormz Racing team, which competes in the Formula Drift (FD) Series. Mopar’s sponsorship of the NuFormz Racing team will conclude following the June 5–6 event at Wall (N.J.) Speedway.

“As part of Chrysler’s comprehensive restructuring plan to revitalize our business and succeed as a stronger car company, we’re rigorously reviewing all expenditures and making tough business decisions,” said Mike Accavitti, Director of Brand Marketing and Strategy, Chrysler LLC. “The decision to end Team Mopar’s sponsorship of NuFormz Racing was difficult because of our long-term relationship with the team and all of the success we’ve enjoyed competing in Formula Drift.

“We wish the team nothing but the best in the future,” Accavitti added. “At this time, we plan to continue supporting our other racing sponsorships into the foreseeable future.”

NuFormz Racing team owner Shaun Carlson and driver Samuel Hübinette have enjoyed long and illustrious careers competing under the Team Mopar banner. Carlson debuted with Team Mopar beginning in 2002 as a driver in the NHRA Sport Compact division. He went on to pilot the Team Mopar/SRT® Dodge Stratus R/T NHRA Pro Stock car for Don Schumacher Racing during the 2006 season.

Carlson and Hübinette teamed up in the FD Series in 2004 and quickly shot to the top of the emerging new motorsport. Hübinette claimed victory in the first-ever FD event in his Mopar Dodge Viper, maintained by Carlson, and went on to capture three of four 2004 events and the overall championship in the inaugural FD season. Hübinette, with Carlson as team owner, powered to his second FD championship in 2006. Hübinette, owner of a series-high nine career FD wins, also claimed runner-up finishes in the FD point standings in 2005 and 2008.

“I had a great eight-year run as a member of the Team Mopar family, and want to thank the company for all the great memories I’m taking away,” said Carlson. “It’s a tough decision, but given the current economic environment inside and outside of racing, I certainly understand it.

We’re going to work as hard as ever to cap off our success with Team Mopar with a convincing win at The Gauntlet race in early June.”

Comment

You guys must not know how much money mopar forks out to run they're team... this is cutting there budget by at least 50%.
              I'm aware.

I actually just got off the phone with Mopar's PR guy. They'll have their sponsorship through New Jersey after that they'll be looking for a new title sponsor.

The cars are not being pulled from the team so they're free to run the vipers and the challenger as they see fit.

Logically I'm thinking they'll keep Sam in the Viper.

You have a point about Tureck but honestly him jumping into a new car is the worst thing that could happen. He has his Solstice dialed in and if GM backed him now they'd want to pull him out of that car (since pontiac is dead) and put him in something else.

Hmm...so lets see here...which energy drinks are left that haven't gotten involved with drifting yet?

Monster perhaps? Maybe Snapple's new drink Venom...that kinda fits...viper...venom..

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                I'm aware.

I actually just got off the phone with Mopar's PR guy. They'll have their sponsorship through New Jersey after that they'll be looking for a new title sponsor.

The cars are not being pulled from the team so they're free to run the vipers and the challenger as they see fit.

Logically I'm thinking they'll keep Sam in the Viper.

You have a point about Tureck but honestly him jumping into a new car is the worst thing that could happen. He has his Solstice dialed in and if GM backed him now they'd want to pull him out of that car (since pontiac is dead) and put him in something else.

Hmm...so lets see here...which energy drinks are left that haven't gotten involved with drifting yet?

Monster perhaps? Maybe Snapple's new drink Venom...that kinda fits...viper...venom..
                Perhaps if they continue to successfully field a Mopar product, Mopar will resign them in the future when the economy picks back up...

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post

Are we talking about the same Ryan, the ryan who got 7th overall driving a solstice that was virtually street legal for the majority of the season?

And we act like Sam is so versatile, 07 year of the charger... nuforms could never get the car dialed in and Sam have Tons of trouble getting on the podium in it.

Comment

Are we talking about the same Ryan, the ryan who got 7th overall driving a solstice that was virtually street legal for the majority of the season?

And we act like Sam is so versatile, 07 year of the charger... nuforms could never get the car dialed in and Sam have Tons of trouble getting on the podium in it.
                    Dude you can't possibly compare a short wheel base car like the solstice to a giant heavy limo of a car that is the charger and make it seem like Ryan has more talent in a new car because he didn't have as much trouble.

Not much can break or go wrong when a car is "virtually street legal". Driving a brand new platform that was built from the ground up with its own set of short commings and nuances is I think more challenging.

Sam had trouble in the Charger but it was able to stay in the top 5 and he even won a round that season.

Tureck won at LB and got a podium at round 2...hes in a familar wheel base with even more drivability and more power. Hes comfortable... I'm sure his team would welcome some GM cash with open arms but strictly competively speaking I'm sure he would much rather stay in his solstice than have to jump into something completely new and un proven.

Sam is still in the running but they were planning to debut a new car anyway they were expecting to take a hit their team is ready to handle a new car already.

With them losing Mopar money they don't have too much else to lose at this point. As long as they finish the season with a top 5 result they'll land their title sponsor. He still has two titles to his name. He can afford to jump into a new car right now.

Ryan is out to prove to everyone that hes the real deal his whole season needs to be better than strong for him to firmly establish himself. Competively speaking, he doesn't need a brand new car to trip him up right now.
                    Last edited by MonkeySlide; 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Tuerck is in a zone right now. Do not mess with him. I'm predicting 1st place at his home track.

Comment

motox

Tuerck doesnt have to prove anything to anybody.He is on a learning curve and only half way there.That is scary.Started racing Motocross at 9,ran 125cc at 12,expert at 14,pro nationals at 16.By 17 he had over 2000 races under his belt,you do the math.Thats a small snip of his motosports experience.
                        I agree changing cars right know would not be good for any driver.but tuercks attention to competitive detail I only see in tanner foust.

Comment

how about build a 240sx?

They have been a proven drift car.

Comment

All the best to them and if Kameez Apparel can help in any way I hope they can reach out to us.

That being said I am sure they will get a lot of support and I am sure the F.D. will help them out also. For one of the team that helped build F.D. to what it is now I am sure they are in a good state...Now for my twist...I love to see Sam partner up with Rhys Millen and run a two car team (again) that would be very cool. We all know how good friends they are already anyways I am pretty sure that can happen.

samad@kameezapparel.com
                            Last edited by silviaguy; 05-21-2009, 06:06 AM.

Comment

that's a really bad news for an awesome driver like Sam.

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post

the fact that they kept drifting in the budget for as long as possible is a testament to the confidence MOPAR had in Drifting as a marketing tool to youth and young adults.
                              MOPAR shouldn't have put Sam in the Viper for that long, especially to use it as their marketing tool because not too many youth and young adults can afford a viper. Challenger is a little more affordable and an awesome car but we've never seen it on the track. The Charger was cool but how many youths want to buy a charger as their first car?

Comment

Working...
                              X