Drifting mentioned on nascar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting mentioned on nascar?

So i was watching the nascar race with my grandfather today... hes a big fan. And hes a big fan of kevin harvick, whos from our home town. Well the guy wins and as i've seen him do before, he spun the tires and kindof got the car sideways at a slow speed, with a genuin counter steer. I've seen it before and thought it was similar to drifting, of course very slow speed, hes just showing off.

Well the announcer goes "alittle drifting there" or something to that extent then says "well hes from california where drifting is getting popular" or something along those lines. I was like. wow.. maybe selling out irwindale is getting drifting known threw out the old nascar world.

PS: drifting is better then nascar lol... i sware half the race was under a yellow flag.

Those announcers must be n00bs. lol

Comment

haha, I thought it was cool they knew of it.

Comment

awesome driftings bound to cross boundaries.

Comment

maybe sumday they will have drifting half time shows

Comment

The guy wasn't drifting at all...he smoked the tires for a second or two.

Comment

tires burned, he counter steered, the car slowly moved sideways.

Not exactly D1, but the announcer was just joking.

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                Those announcers must be n00bs. lol
                Better then the guys at d1

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                  Better then the guys at d1
                  Exactly.

Comment

agreed. lol. well, i guess..at least they tried? somewhat sorta? i just wanted to hear some more enthusiasm and..okay well jumping screaming and hollering woulda been nice too.

Comment

i liked there witty banter... guy 1: "look at him drift, better then me.... i suck.... my car only had 100 horse power.... and i cant drift it"

Guy 2 "... yeah..."

ah well i give them credit for talking for hours with out loosing there voice. i was horsed by the end of it mostly yelling for the guys.

Comment

Hahaha cool. I'm sure those announcer guys were just playing around (I wouldnt consider that drifting) but who knows maybe they think a big fishtail is a drift. The funny part is that if you go down a few leagues from Nascar (hobby stock, pro-stock) you'll find that those guys are basically drifting, but on dirt instead of pavement. Dirt track racing is sort of similar to drifting (with the exceptions being the track style and surface) and eventually this evolved into the Nascar you see today. I think its cool that the announcers mentioned it.

Comment

haha

hahah those cars are so funny...those are the ones you see on real tv that crash all the time...they look like crazy little beetles or soemthing

Comment

The craziest part about dirt track racing is the car contact. There are basically no rules about contact, so its every man for himself. There are multiple collisions every race. Most of the cars look 'nice' going into the race and come out all mangled. This is why sponsored dirt track cars look sort of whacky when compared to sponsored drift cars. All the body panels are plastic with welded supports underneath. When the cars get fixed up, all the body panels come off, bent up supports are tossed, and new supports welded on, body panels go back on. Actually quite a bit of tech that goes into building these things. Also remember that dirt track racing is a speed/time sport (not like drifting), so the pits aren't very friendly ...

Comment

Yeah dirt track racing, those guys are sideways every corner. It goes to show drifting shows its self, and has probably developed independently in most motor sports of a low grip environment.

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                              Hahaha cool. I'm sure those announcer guys were just playing around (I wouldnt consider that drifting) but who knows maybe they think a big fishtail is a drift. The funny part is that if you go down a few leagues from Nascar (hobby stock, pro-stock) you'll find that those guys are basically drifting, but on dirt instead of pavement. Dirt track racing is sort of similar to drifting (with the exceptions being the track style and surface) and eventually this evolved into the Nascar you see today. I think its cool that the announcers mentioned it.

Comment

Working...
                              X