PDA

View Full Version : XTREME DRIFT CIRCUIT, PRO-AM Series

Bebop
11-05-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/sema/2009/Day3/j/xd.jpg

Quoted from Urban Racer

The team behind this series includes some of the former staff that assisted with the production of the D1GP USA series last year, who were heavily involved with Hot Import Nights for years. While we've seen many series come and go in the past with names like XDL, WDC, Drift Car America, and NOPI, this one is said to be affiliated with Formula D and won't directly compete as a top-tier professional drifting series but be more of a stepping stone for up-and-comers. With details still to come, we're glad that someone has actually stepped up to the plate and formally worked out a deal directly with FD to try and bring up the next generation of drivers.

Some good news here folks...

Looks like the ex 2009 D1gp USA are putting this together for the privateers and "up-and-comers". Working alongside with FD!

Is this once again the fall of D1gp USA?

I'm hyped up for this... if the XDC guys need any help or advice no matter what feel free to PM me.

captainNEO
11-07-2009, 01:43 PM
"...this one is said to be affiliated with Formula D"

Hopefully so.
I'd have to assume nothing is set in stone with FD, otherwise I'm sure something would have been at least mentioned at the Press Conference on Wednesday.

We'll see what happens.

D1 DRIFTER
11-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Sounds good!!! hopefully it will cover a wide area as well so that we can all benefit from it! EAST AND WEST COAST!

slideways2004
11-08-2009, 09:16 PM
really excited to see how this turns out

B.Young
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Who is organizing the events? How is this going to be different from Proam? Will it require cross country traveling just to keep up with points for a championship? Most grassroots drivers can't afford multiple out of state events.

Slapshotnerd
11-09-2009, 12:48 AM
This just hit my inbox....

XTREME DRIFT CIRCUIT FORMED FOR 2010
-Nationwide drifting championship will showcase rising drift stars and feature lifestyle events
across the country

November 9, 2008 (Tustin, Calif.) -- With an eye on developing the future drifting stars of America, the Xtreme
Drift Circuit has been formed and will kick off its first championship season in 2010.

As the professional drifting landscape has progressed, there has been a groundswell of drivers that have the
potential to compete at the highest levels of the sport but haven’t had the chance to demonstrate their potential.
The XDC will offer these drivers a chance to shine with a championship series that will be run to professional
standards and will subsidize the costs of competition to the drivers – making the XDC a professional drifter’s
first step to achieving their dreams.

The XDC will be an affiliate series of the Formula Drift Pro Championship, placing the winner of each event into
the Pro-Am Nationals at the end of the season. The top three drivers in the season championship will also have
a spot in the Pro-Am Nationals, providing an elevated avenue of competition for drivers who cannot yet make
the jump from regional competition into a professional national series.

In the way that auto racing series have feeder series – such as the Nationwide Series in NASCAR, and Indy
Lights for IndyCar – XDC will become the proving grounds for drifting’s future stars.

“The goal of the XDC is not to compete with established professional drifting championships, such as Formula
Drift,” said Michael Munar, president of the XDC. “Rather, our series will feature Pro-Am drivers who aim to
someday become Formula Drift champions. Not only will they compete in a professionally run and managed
championship, but they will receive other benefits including promotion, media training, car transport, and
sponsorship assistance.”

The Xtreme Drift Circuit’s 2010 schedule will be announced in the coming weeks, and will feature venues across
the United States that are hotbeds of drifting activity. Every XDC event will be a full scale festival featuring
drifting, a car show, vendor row, stunt bike demos, a model search, and live stage entertainment produced
by the team that led Hot Import Nights at its peak.

USDrift will be charged with staffing and managing the drift events, including course events, drivers meetings,
rulebook, judging, technical inspections and course management.

“This format will essentially give competitors two destinies to strive for, the PRO/AM level and the Formula Drift
level,” said Mike Schneider, head judge of USDrift. “Some drivers don’t particularly care to be a professional,
but at least if they did dominate in the PRO/AM level, there’s always that opportunity for them to do so.”

The series will be unveiling its 2010 season schedule in the coming weeks.

ABOUT XTREME DRIFT CIRCUIT
The XDC is the country’s premier national Pro-Am drifting championship, featuring a six-round championship
with the rising stars of professional drifting set in a full-scale lifestyle festival.
For more information, visit www.xtremedriftcircuit.com.

For all media interested in the XDC Tour, please contact
Efrain Olivares, SHIFT Communications, efrain@shiftgroup.net, (818) 254-7196.

For more information on XDC sales and sponsorship opportunities,
please visit www.xtremedriftcircuit.com, or call (949) 467-9015.

Justin Banner
11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Sounds good so far.

slideways2004
11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
any idea on venue location and dates??

also, if i read correctly, you have to win the event to goto ProAm at the end of the year?

Bebop
11-09-2009, 02:00 PM
The XDC will be an affiliate series of the Formula Drift Pro Championship, placing the winner of each event into
the Pro-Am Nationals at the end of the season. The top three drivers in the season championship will also have
a spot in the Pro-Am Nationals, providing an elevated avenue of competition for drivers who cannot yet make
the jump from regional competition into a professional national series

In my oppinion this is kinda unjust. Any team who put together a budget to run a full series and placed in the top 3 or 4 shouldnt have to attended a 7th event just to recieve a pro licence. In my eyes anyone who is able to do that should automaticly be licenced for the pros next year.

Send the other 12 of the top 16 out to the pro am, along with others who ran in other local championship series or qualifiers. I hope FD sees this as a chance to let the grassroots decide who is ready to step up to their level. What is 3 spots too series who has trouble filling all 32 spots at a event (Seatle).

B.Young
11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Cool. Well I guess we will wait till the schedule info comes out. Then I have a few more questions about the "assistance" they are talking about.;) PLUS I want to see their rule book too

D1 DRIFTER
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Im assuming cars must be FormulaD legal as it is a feeder series?

also blaze1 i cant agree more

Justin Banner
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Hopefully, a rulebook will be out before I modify my pickup frame. Any time-line on a rulebook?

D1 DRIFTER
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
i was informed it is the SAME as proam right now

Justin Banner
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I guess I'll have to find the ProAm rules.

**EDIT**
Found them, thanks to google, but from what I'm reading, I won't be able to notch the frame like I want to. Truck can ride 1 to maybe 2 inches lower than stock without the notches. Can't do a "traditional" or "stock floor" body drop either. Really kills my lowering options.

Also, can I change from leaf springs to a "truck-arm" according to this rule:

"8.3.2 Suspension Design
The basic OEM suspension design type may be freely modified. The original suspension mounting “pick-up points” must remain in the stock, unmodified location."

Slapshotnerd
11-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I know pickups aren't allowed at all in FD, so why would you want to go thru pro-am in a chassis that you know you'll have to change if you get a license??

I really think you should give up the truck idea. I know you're trying to be mr cool guy, but it's really not worth it.

Justin Banner
11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I know pickups aren't allowed at all in FD, so why would you want to go thru pro-am in a chassis that you know you'll have to change if you get a license??

To hell with it. Found a shell on Slideways forums, so does any one need a 1987 Nissan D21 roller/parts truck?

B.Young
11-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Too bad your passing on the truck. It would have been cool to see one competition ready. I drift an 06' 350Z and its not easy to get it to cometition level here in AZ. Financially anyways. If I had to do it again I would go with an S chassis since there is so much help for them.:cool:

socalwrench
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Xtreme Drift sounds cool, but I thought the ProAm series was the feeder for Formula D? Either way, I hope they put some limitations on the Xtreme D class as there's a ton of money required to compete in Formula D.

BTW, what's up with the missing 'E' in XTREME? Who the heck thinks it's cool to misspell words?!

assout
11-10-2009, 10:35 AM
In my oppinion this is kinda unjust. Any team who put together a budget to run a full series and placed in the top 3 or 4 shouldnt have to attended a 7th event just to recieve a pro licence. In my eyes anyone who is able to do that should automaticly be licenced for the pros next year.

Send the other 12 of the top 16 out to the pro am, along with others who ran in other local championship series or qualifiers. I hope FD sees this as a chance to let the grassroots decide who is ready to step up to their level. What is 3 spots too series who has trouble filling all 32 spots at a event (Seatle).

+1

Or have an east and west proam event. But, I like the above idea better.

Justin Banner
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Too bad your passing on the truck. It would have been cool to see one competition ready. I drift an 06' 350Z and its not easy to get it to cometition level here in AZ. Financially anyways. If I had to do it again I would go with an S chassis since there is so much help for them.:cool:

Yeah, but I saw the point that Slapshot made, do I want to pay twice or once? I have found a S13 shell closer to home and will be looking at it. Got a theme in my head already, and somehow I know it will tick the base off. :D Won't say yet, don't want to spoil it.

Bebop
11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Factory backed RWD scions but no privateer pos trucks lol

Serious Justin... you might want to shoot a email to the organizers or something. You might/should be able to work something out for your D21

Justin Banner
11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Factory backed RWD scions but no privateer pos trucks lol

Serious Justin... you might want to shoot a email to the organizers or something. You might/should be able to work something out for your D21

Well, I have already planned to look at the S13 chassis on Saturday. I'm also looking at it like this; if I do get a license (even if it takes a year or two later) and do even just the East Coast Pro Events, I'd like to not have to spend more money to either petition or buy/build a new car.

socalwrench
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Good luck with the search Justin. If you were on the west coast I might be able to help you out. But, for the cost of transporting a car- you could just spend that extra $1k on something nicer.

Justin Banner
11-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm picking up a S13 chassis on Sunday. $100, minor rust in the spare tire well and the battery tray and the sheet metal under it is gone, but it's straight, and $100.

socalwrench
11-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice job. $100 is a deal. Besides, you can relocate the battery and weld in a new piece. Plus, you can install a fuel cell where the spare tire used to be.

Justin Banner
11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Nice job. $100 is a deal. Besides, you can relocate the battery and weld in a new piece. Plus, you can install a fuel cell where the spare tire used to be.

Yeah, it also has some interior parts I can sell. 10 for $10 sale, anyone? :D

Slapshotnerd
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
more info on their site...

http://www.xtremedriftcircuit.com/

no dates, but some cities are listed

Bebop
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
beat me to it!!

get your cars ready guys!!

LA LV AZ NJ FL

Justin Banner
11-25-2009, 03:51 PM
beat me to it!!

LA LV AZ NJ FL

They also list West Virginia, Boston, and Dallas. This is shaping up real well, just have to wait for the official schedule.

socalwrench
11-25-2009, 11:55 PM
CA twice- loving it. Still wonder whose going to be driving in it.

Bebop
11-26-2009, 12:37 PM
CA twice- loving it. Still wonder whose going to be driving in it.

Same americans that drove in D1gp last year, they have already contacted some of the higher ranking american drivers in the series from last year to provided shipping on their rig.

deadpirate
11-26-2009, 08:21 PM
i would assume its amature drivers trying to go pro...seeing as its a pro-am series.

what higher american drivers???
forrest wang??
russell walker?

Bebop
11-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Chelsea Denofa has stated on another forum he was contacted by the organizers with a offer on transportation

I'm sure others were contacted as well

deadpirate
11-27-2009, 04:10 PM
i cant see alot of the pro-am drivers who are already licensed for formula D running this. most of the guys i talked to at pro-am told me they are going to run Formula D as much as they can

socalwrench
11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
+1

Exactly, all of the Pro Am drivers I talked to where mainly concerned with getting their Formula D license; to run in that series.

Eventually we will find out whose competing, and how well the series will be handled.

Bebop
11-28-2009, 12:28 PM
honestly... why such a need for big name drivers.

the big time drivers now were nobodys 4 years ago

I honestly would like to see some grassroot talent from japan come out, theres alot of guys over there who have much skill who want to drive in america

deadpirate
11-28-2009, 11:10 PM
well...considering that its a PRO-AM series..we wont get big names in it..and i highly doubt any jdm grassroots guys will come all the way over here for a PRO-AM event.

why the need to make this thing bigger than what it is?? its a competition series for PRO-AM drivers to go to PRO-AM Nationals and get their PRO license

Bebop
11-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Because deep down inside i see this as a opportunity for this series to capitlize on things that FDs lacks.

Yaz Kondo, good grassroots driver from japan that competes in america.

You'll be suprised how many drivers in japan who would like to compete in america, pros and grassroot level alike.

Build it (and translate it) and they will come.

Slapshotnerd
11-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I just hope that XDC doesn't try to price their ticket like a pro level ticket, and that the drivers are given fair play in the media.

1 of those aspects can fully be controlled by XDC, the other will need the help of others.

Bebop
11-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm willing to pay 20 bucks for a good show

no 8$ sodas though

deadpirate
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
if the XDC sucks media wise..i will always be there to drop a decent video :)

YOitzJDM
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
if the XDC sucks media wise..i will always be there to drop a decent video :)

are you going to travel to all the events?

deadpirate
12-01-2009, 01:12 AM
if someone is up for helping me get to them all i am 100% down
i will definately be at every event that is near california

Justin Banner
12-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Any word for an announcement for a schedule and official rulebook? I'm still planning on building to the FD ProAm book, but would be nice to know of any changes or differences (like, being able to use more budget friendly Kirkey aluminum seats, for example **HINT HINT**).

Bebop
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
i rather sit on a milk crate then one of those

I had a ultrashield in my spec miata, fellt like crap lol. Especialy after many laps, buy a status FIA seat.

D1 DRIFTER
12-05-2009, 04:03 PM
ive been informed that some of these event locations will only be a car show setup

EXAMPLE; San diego (car show) LA (drifting/car show) im assuming Irwindale

Bebop
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
cali speedway or bust... if not perris fairgrounds

D1 DRIFTER
12-05-2009, 04:27 PM
did u really just say perris fairgrounds?

its a parking lot and a very small one at that. Im down for irwindale or cali speedway infield.

Justin Banner
12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
i rather sit on a milk crate then one of those

I had a ultrashield in my spec miata, fellt like crap lol. Especialy after many laps, buy a status FIA seat.

How much do they usually run for? I'd like to spend less than $300 a seat.

Bebop
12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
How much do they usually run for? I'd like to spend less than $300 a seat.LOL FIA seat for under 300 mabey used....mabey

if FIA isnt a standard in the series i say go for the momo start... anything beats ultrashield IMO

mind you im a 21 year old with a strange back problem.

and perris has a decent parking lot and toooons of space for a car show

Hours drive from SD and LA (same as fontana) so everyone can come.

Justin Banner
12-06-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL FIA seat for under 300 mabey used....mabey

if FIA isnt a standard in the series i say go for the momo start... anything beats ultrashield IMO

Which has been my problem. $400 for a seat is bit much and Ultrashield, Kirkey, and Butler seats have been used for years with no problems. If the SCCA and NASA can find a way to use their seats, someone else should be able to, too.

socalwrench
12-06-2009, 03:12 PM
http://www.saferacer.com

SafeRacer has some good deals on seats. Might want to check them out.

Justin Banner
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.saferacer.com

SafeRacer has some good deals on seats. Might want to check them out.

I was looking at that Sprint 5 that they have. They offer free shipping, too. Anyone know how wide it is?

Mars
12-10-2009, 07:30 PM

I so agree. There was a lot of florida drivers that couldnt make finals this year cause it was changed all the way to irwindale.

deadpirate
12-11-2009, 03:12 AM
mars..the original event was planned for phoenix..whats the difference?? they could afford to drive to phoenix..but not an extra 200 ish miles?

Justin Banner
12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
mars..the original event was planned for phoenix..whats the difference?? they could afford to drive to phoenix..but not an extra 200 ish miles?

Well, if your tow vehicle only gets 10 MPG, you have a 25 gallon tank, and travel 2319 miles (leaving from Petersburg, VA) you have to make 19 stops for gas round trip. Diesel is around $3/gal, so that's $75 per stop, $1425 round trip.

Irwindale, on the other hand, is 2621 miles one way. That's 21 stops round trip. At $75 per stop, that's now $1575 round trip and $125 more in travel costs. That's an extra set of used tires and wheels, a weekend at a hotel plus food, or extra fuel for your drift car (100 Octane is, roughly what $6.50 a gallon? So that's nearly an extra 20 gallons).

So, that's pretty understandable to say, "I really can't afford to go that far." Understand, these are rough estimates using Diesel fuel, too.

Slapshotnerd
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, if your tow vehicle only gets 10 MPG, you have a 25 gallon tank, and travel 2319 miles (leaving from Petersburg, VA) you have to make 19 stops for gas round trip. Diesel is around $3/gal, so that's $75 per stop, $1425 round trip.

Irwindale, on the other hand, is 2621 miles one way. That's 21 stops round trip. At $75 per stop, that's now $1575 round trip and $125 more in travel costs. That's an extra set of used tires and wheels, a weekend at a hotel plus food, or extra fuel for your drift car (100 Octane is, roughly what $6.50 a gallon? So that's nearly an extra 20 gallons).

So, that's pretty understandable to say, "I really can't afford to go that far." Understand, these are rough estimates using Diesel fuel, too.

However.... at the point where you're already spending $1400 in fuel (probably closer to $1800 in overall costs) and 4 days traveling round trip for a once-per-year chance to make your dreams come true by becoming a licensed Formula D driver, what's an extra 6 hours of travel and $150 in fuel costs?!

If you can't survive a 10% change in budget, you probably shouldn't be drifting.

deadpirate
12-11-2009, 01:03 PM
plus your hotel and food cost should already be factored into your pro am budget if you plan to go, seeing as thats money thats going to be spent no matter what. irwindale or phoenix, your prolly getting a hotel...and your most likely going to eat something, no matter what city your in

Bebop
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
more reason why we should have this series

if you can put together and perform well in a lesser series you are ready for the pros!

i thought the "Quest for the Sword" event was the east coast pro am?

Justin Banner
12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
If you can't survive a 10% change in budget, you probably shouldn't be drifting.

If the change was well before (like two to three months before the final event, especially in our economy), then, yes you are right. But a month before, not so much.

Bebop
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
whore yourself

that's chump change for a prostitute

Justin Banner
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
whore yourself

that's chump change for a prostitute

LOL! I'd have to find someone into chubbies :D

Justin Banner
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
You know, I just realized I was making the argument about venue changing. God, brainfart moment, sorry everyone.

Edgar
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Racing cost money. Duh!

Justin Banner
12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Racing cost money. Duh!

May have my seat problem covered. I'll know by the end of January.

boxmod
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
bigger issue for me was the venue itself. My car 'as it sits' couldn't do irwindale bank, but the flats at phoenix I had no worries. I even had 2 seperate invites (1st HIN Tampa and 2nd FD Atlanta) but Irwindale was not going to happen with my car. This year, this year will be different.

Bebop
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
what do you drive?

boxmod
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
s13 with a redtop t25, FMIC, boost at 15psi. 230hp of awesome.

peep it>> http://www.vimeo.com/7352152

Bebop
12-16-2009, 10:40 AM
s13 with a redtop t25, FMIC, boost at 15psi. 230hp of awesome.

peep it>> http://www.vimeo.com/7352152

I think you underestimated your self

I seen skilled drivers with less horsepower fully link irwindale, and I'm talking about NA short wheelbase corolla guys.

And plus you got a SR 240sx, you can squeeze out another hundred horsepower with ease. PFC, Injectors, Headwork... its a go

boxmod
12-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I think you underestimated your self

I seen skilled drivers with less horsepower fully link irwindale, and I'm talking about NA short wheelbase corolla guys.

And plus you got a SR 240sx, you can squeeze out another hundred horsepower with ease. PFC, Injectors, Headwork... its a go

well as far as getting more hp, if you wanna donate the parts/money ok.

I have a enough experience in my car to know the torque isnt there in 3rd to keep them spinning much on flats at 80-ish let alone a huge bank. I could have stepped down the tire size to something less predictable, but that still leaves me with the $$$ trip from FL. I couldnt risk that much $$ to show up and my car not make it around the bank!

I don't know, I could throw excuses all day I guess but really, we were asked at FD Atlanta who would attend a west coast final. Everyone said without assistance no we wouldn't.

They said there might be a east coast at VIR but only top 8 (or so) would get a license but west coast at Phoenix would be top 16 (guaranteed).... so they dropped east all together and moved west further out.

I know its not always in controllable, but its hard enough making a name for yourself as a privateer, then add in FL, and your screwed hahaha. I've been kickin in the door for 4 years, I'm not stopping now.

D1 DRIFTER
12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
you could have done irwindale just fine... i did irwindale in a redtop with 10psi on a t28 and vlsd on 245/45/17 x 10's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BvsDzQOaw

go for broke.

boxmod
12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
damn, from that perspective the bank doesnt look as steep but whatever. I think your t28 on 10psi prolly is a little more go behind it and 17s vs my 18s, what tires did you run?

I dunno really though, bank speeds at Iwindale are in the 75-85 range right? Last time I was sideways at that speed I was BARELY keeping her out and it was on flats.

dont matter, the events gone and I couldn't have afforded it then anyways.

B.Young
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Irwindale is just seat time to get the feel of the bank. My first run there I just floored it, and did my best to hang on. myspace.com/BYDrifting As the day continued I had some engine issues, but I survived to the top 8 (barely).
It does suck to be so far away from these kind of events, but if your not tied down, just move to Cali, Vegas, or Phoenix where it is very possible to get ahead in drifting. Thats what I would do anyways.;) Good luck with next year, and I hope to see you drifting sometime.

boxmod
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Irwindale is just seat time to get the feel of the bank. My first run there I just floored it, and did my best to hang on. myspace.com/BYDrifting As the day continued I had some engine issues, but I survived to the top 8 (barely).
It does suck to be so far away from these kind of events, but if your not tied down, just move to Cali, Vegas, or Phoenix where it is very possible to get ahead in drifting. Thats what I would do anyways.;) Good luck with next year, and I hope to see you drifting sometime.

I know and I've entertained the idea of moving west. Part of me wants to try to help the scene here by sticking it out and showing sponsors, and up n comming drivers that it is possible to be a success from Florida/SouthEast.

I'm not really 'tied down' either but man, I'd have to sell the car just to afford the move hahahaha.

I plan on seeing Cali this year at least once.

B.Young
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Thats awsome that you want to help the local scene get recognized for its talent. Unfortunatly recognizing top amatur drifters on a national scale seems to be difficult unless you have time and money to travel, but thats where the sacrifice comes in to achieve your goals. I'm in the Phoenix area and I don't make much money, but I pull through to try and make every local event. I'm going to Cali more often in 2010 to get competition experience from the top amaturs there (funded by side jobs). If you ever make it out this way and need a rest stop for the night in the Phoenix area, my door is open to you. I live with my girl and a few friends. No drugs, but beer is good :D

boxmod
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Thats awsome that you want to help the local scene get recognized for its talent. Unfortunatly recognizing top amatur drifters on a national scale seems to be difficult unless you have time and money to travel, but thats where the sacrifice comes in to achieve your goals. I'm in the Phoenix area and I don't make much money, but I pull through to try and make every local event. I'm going to Cali more often in 2010 to get competition experience from the top amaturs there (funded by side jobs). If you ever make it out this way and need a rest stop for the night in the Phoenix area, my door is open to you. I live with my girl and a few friends. No drugs, but beer is good :D

I did the entire nopi2007 series on my own dime. it was a lot of fun and did get my name out and started my network. I've averaged 20 events every year in the local/regional sector man, dedication is all I got.

I've been out to phoenix before, might be back^

B.Young
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Running NOPI had to be a blast. You have been at this longer than I have.

Slapshotnerd
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Jason!

It kinda sucks that the finals were at Irwindale, but unfortunately, the series (and a majority of the talent pool of drivers) is based largely on the West Coast. NJ and ATL are great events, but 4 of the 7 events are within 400 miles of LA, and another event is within 1000 miles. Because of that, and because of the cooperative nature of the tracks out here (specifically Irwindale, accommodating the ProAm event on short notice), the event came together the way that it did. I still think that the East Coast has a LOT of talent, and the NOPI series really did a lot to help showcase that. Drivers like Matt Waldin, Brian Wilkerson, Bill Sherman, Dennis Mertezanis, Blake Fuller, and others all are fully capable of doing well in FD with the right team and support behind them. But unfortunately, the sponsorship and support is largely in California. I'm glad Matt was able to find some funding to run the entire season this year, and hope others can follow for 2010.

Jason - although your car may be enough to qualify for top 32 at some FD events the way it is, I think 400 lb-ft of torque is something of a magic number in FD for success. FD is becoming much more technical, and I think everybody is realizing that torque is really the key to winning, thus the large trend towards V8 motors. Drivers are realizing that pulling out of a slow corner and making a quick gap goes a long way in the eyes of the judges, and torque / forward grip is really the best way to do that. If you want to be serious and compete beyond top 32 at FD, I think you really need to upgrade the powerplant in your S13. I'm sure you already know this though :)

PS - Is it April yet?! I need me some drifting....

boxmod
12-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Jason!

It kinda sucks that the finals were at Irwindale, but unfortunately, the series (and a majority of the talent pool of drivers) is based largely on the West Coast. NJ and ATL are great events, but 4 of the 7 events are within 400 miles of LA, and another event is within 1000 miles. Because of that, and because of the cooperative nature of the tracks out here (specifically Irwindale, accommodating the ProAm event on short notice), the event came together the way that it did. I still think that the East Coast has a LOT of talent, and the NOPI series really did a lot to help showcase that. Drivers like Matt Waldin, Brian Wilkerson, Bill Sherman, Dennis Mertezanis, Blake Fuller, and others all are fully capable of doing well in FD with the right team and support behind them. But unfortunately, the sponsorship and support is largely in California. I'm glad Matt was able to find some funding to run the entire season this year, and hope others can follow for 2010.

Jason - although your car may be enough to qualify for top 32 at some FD events the way it is, I think 400 lb-ft of torque is something of a magic number in FD for success. FD is becoming much more technical, and I think everybody is realizing that torque is really the key to winning, thus the large trend towards V8 motors. Drivers are realizing that pulling out of a slow corner and making a quick gap goes a long way in the eyes of the judges, and torque / forward grip is really the best way to do that. If you want to be serious and compete beyond top 32 at FD, I think you really need to upgrade the powerplant in your S13. I'm sure you already know this though :)

PS - Is it April yet?! I need me some drifting....

I'm picking up an LS1 sunday :)

Piner
12-18-2009, 10:15 PM
^ Oh mah godz!!! Jason with LSjuan! YES!

Bebop
12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
better throw some itbs on it

LS1s are starting to get boring

Justin Banner
12-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Carb'd 302ci with a mini-keg hood scoop be boring in a S13? :D

boxmod
12-19-2009, 11:32 PM

driving an SR on stock t25 and then going to an LS1 won't be boring for me :)

I'll be having a good time and thats all that counts.

Piner
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
^ yeah I think its going to mess you up for a couple events before you get used to it lol

but once you get the hang of it you'll be kicking A$$

boxmod
12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
^ yeah I think its going to mess you up for a couple events before you get used to it lol

but once you get the hang of it you'll be kicking A$$

i dunno, back in the day first time i drove a turbo car was rated ~320hp enjuku car when previously all i had driven was my sohc open diff. I did fine then and had much less wheel time.

Piner
12-21-2009, 05:42 AM
an LS1 is a little bit different than a medium powered SR, torque is really an awesome thing.

boxmod
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
yea im not saying those are the same, im saying the JUMP UP in that case, is similar to what itll be like

Bebop
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
a sad day in drifting....

but anyways, whats going on with this series... almost jan and no schedule

whats up!!??!!??!!

white2.4
12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah really someone needs to update stuff with this series... schedule... rulebook...

jwoo
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
So many new events..

Justin Banner
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Rulebook would be nice.

B.Young
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
There is a race/drift event in Phoenix International Raceway on January 10th. four 15 minute sessions on the road course that is linkable up to 9 turns:eek:! You have to have completed NASA's HPDE1 to drift though.

deadpirate
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
rulebook is supposed to be the same as formula d pro-am rulebook.

i have been following their facebook trying to get answers for rules, schedule, fees/etc.

AE86_Fan
12-23-2009, 12:39 PM
i heard that the press release will be coming out next week with dates and venues. As for rule book, word on the street is it will be the same as Formula D Pro-Am rulebook.

white2.4
12-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Is the proam rulebook the same as the normal fd rulebook?

Bebop
12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Is the proam rulebook the same as the normal fd rulebook?

just about the same... only real diference ive seen was no approved tires

deadpirate
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
well hopefully they keep their word and post a press release. i know quite a few people planning to run this and are trying to figure out budget right now

Bebop
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
The verdict is in

From Wrecked

March 20 Irwindale Speedway Irwindale, California
May 22 Las Vegas Motor Speedway Las Vegas, Nevada
June 19 Summit Point Raceway Summit Point, W.V.
August 7 Englishtown Raceway Englishtown, N.J.
September 25 Texas Motor Speedway Fort Worth, Texas
October 16 Firebird Raceway Chandler, Ariz.

white2.4
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
holy cow an update!

MarcBergeon
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I like the schedule so far, but what about the damn rulebook? I really hope it is not going to be the "un-fair" FD rulebook, my car is D1GP legal, it passed tech perfectly in Anaheim, but for some reason FD won't allow it for different reasons.

courantcom
01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
These guys are gonna need a Hooker. ;-)

Piner
01-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I am a bit disapointed that there is no florida event since they listed miami on there site but oh well. Series looks fun, every event is on a real track. No parking lot deals like D1USA or nopi Thats always a good thing.

courantcom
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
The RedBull event was on a vacant lot out in the middle of nowhere. That event was absolutely awesome. FD proved at that event that if you build it, they will come.

Bebop
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
road course>parking lot>oval

IMO anyway

The thing I hate with USA drifting and road courses is that it really seems like they purposely use the slowest parts of them. If your gonna spend all the money renting out the facility you mind as well get your moneys worth.

courantcom
01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
road course>parking lot>oval

IMO anyway

The thing I hate with USA drifting and road courses is that it really seems like they purposely use the slowest parts of them. If your gonna spend all the money renting out the facility you mind as well get your moneys worth.

I think road course>oval>parking lot. I like watching the cars tandem on the oval "bank". You can totally get a sensation of how "close" they come to one another. I also like the seating arrangement for oval tracks. Just about every spot in the grandstand is a good seat.

For road courses, most of the built in "seating areas" are placed on the slow parts of the race track so that people can see the cars go around. I don't think drift event organizers look at the track and figure out where's a good spot to drift. I think they first ask where do the people sit, then they go from there.

Parking lot events are a hit and miss. I'm still waiting for the event that has the budget to host one INSIDE a "stadium". Monster truck people can do it...motocross people can do it, one day - drifting people can do it.

courantcom
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah...forgot to say that I like road courses because they always have proper facilities (bathrooms, concessions, etc.). In the paddocks, they have a lot of places to plug into for electricity as well.

Piner
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I think drifting would be problematic to host in a stadium due to tire smoke lol

Bebop
01-06-2010, 02:29 AM
I think road course>oval>parking lot. I like watching the cars tandem on the oval "bank". You can totally get a sensation of how "close" they come to one another. I also like the seating arrangement for oval tracks. Just about every spot in the grandstand is a good seat. .

I agree but IMO the sad thing is as of late tandem drifting in the US has become boring in my eyes. The last time I went to a event and saw some consistent tandem shootouts was at D1 06. Don't get me wrong, I can remember some good FD battles but as of late every potential slobber knocker has ended up with someone getting rear ended or just getting slammed into the wall. My main issue with banks is some chassis are just not suitable for competitive tandem battles on these type of platforms. This IMO is leading to the death of low HP short wheelbase cars being competitive in the series overall. Yes I know guys like Suell, John R, Yoshioka, and Taka can do it... but look what they had to do with their power plants just to have enough torque and speed to half a$$ link irwindale in qualifying.

For road courses, most of the built in "seating areas" are placed on the slow parts of the race track so that people can see the cars go around. I don't think drift event organizers look at the track and figure out where's a good spot to drift. I think they first ask where do the people sit, then they go from there. .

I agree %100, I kinda think FD doesn't want to pay the extra money and time to get some more grandstands in and or a tunnel lol. I think road course configuration should be something crucial on the minds of organizer staff from 2010 on if they want too keep on spending money on these expensive venues. These are some of the reasons I haven't been too Sonoma since 04 lol.

Parking lot events are a hit and miss. I'm still waiting for the event that has the budget to host one INSIDE a "stadium". Monster truck people can do it...motocross people can do it, one day - drifting people can do it.

Location location location, I think D1 made a great find with smooth parking lots of LVMS and English Town. My main thing at this point is K rails, I might be alone when I say this but I'm sick and tired of watching cars get ripped too shreds hitting these things. It really puts a lag on events at times. I think K rails should be a last ditch effort to protect the spectators only. And organizers should really take some time to invest in something that can protect the integrity of the machines as well.

I think stadium drifting would be cool but will the fans be as close enough to the action. And can a company like FD be able to sell out a big stadium like home depot center or the rose bowl. X games is still having trouble with that. I hate seeing empty seats in the crowd, I think that is a bigger waste of money then drifting around a unused chicane at Sonoma and Road Atlanta.

I may come off as a purist, and I might be one. But I want to see the sport involve into more of a action sport. In which the underdog can still win and the spectators would be up close and personal and entertained until the very last second. And maybe most of all give more TV time for the sponsors. I got some realistic ideas to make that happen but I don't think any company in the US anyway would be ready or even willing to take the risk in the sport's infancy. It would mean the whole way the sport is organized, judged, and sold would have to be overhauled.

Tell me this anyone, with the way the sport is right now...do you think it could be broadcasted live? If it was would anyone have the patience to watch it from start to finish?

Justin Banner
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Live, in it's current form, no. They could do same day coverage just like NHRA events are done.

B.Young
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
When there was live video feed from the internet, we would have a BBQ, racing games, and hang out with old and new friends who want to see drifting action. We all got into the battles and had a great time.
IMO indoor stadium events have been done in Europe and China so its equally possible here. With a well known event organizer I'm sure they can pull it of with minimal problems. One thing is to get the word out in a large scale so more people will show up.
I have been watching D1 Street Legal and it has some great tandem battles.
Does anyone know what the rules are for D1SL?

Bebop
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
When there was live video feed from the internet, we would have a BBQ, racing games, and hang out with old and new friends who want to see drifting action. We all got into the battles and had a great time.

Since when did FD have a live feed with tandem.... I have only seen some grainy live feed for qualifying. What ever station the show is on has all right to the tandem footage as far as I could remember.

IMO indoor stadium events have been done in Europe and China so its equally possible here. With a well known event organizer I'm sure they can pull it of with minimal problems. One thing is to get the word out in a large scale so more people will show up.

Europe had a few and China had some that never went so well. Really crazy stupid crashes. People not getting paid. Chinese drivers fighting lol, so on and so on lmao. And plus most of the crowd is on one side of the stadium and that side isn't even filled.

I have been watching D1 Street Legal and it has some great tandem battles.
Does anyone know what the rules are for D1SL?

Tandem rules or scrutiny. Chassis wise everything is the same but you have to use the original motor or a motor of the same cylinder and make. Fuel system has to be in stock location (no fuel cells). Qualifying for 32 consists of essentially a long practice session with the judges picking drivers who stand out. I personally like it, but not for the USA... I think drivers don't have enough respect for the judges to respect there decisions without a actual score. Tandem is basic D1gp rules, I wouldn't call it pass to win but more of running a tight defensive line different from your qualifying run. If you have room to pass go for it. No "washing out" (running wide line). I use to hate but lately I think it makes comp more fun and gives drivers more of a strategy. I really like the idea of separating qualifying to tandem.

Justin Banner
01-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Why doesn't FD encourage passing while in a drift? Safety?

Slapshotnerd
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Because some drivers got over-aggressive trying to pass instead of running the exciting / drifting line. Rather than try and set passing stipulations, it was easier just to ban it across the board. That's been my interpretation.

I think certain tracks are better for passing than others. In Irwindale, I think it's more exciting to have the drivers run the higher line on the inner and outer bank, which means that there's a possible "passing" line available on the low line which is faster to get around... but I don't think it should be ok to pass there.

However, in Sonoma, I think you should be able to pass at the first inside clip (the one at the edge of the teardrop) or during the transition in front of the crowd after that clip. But make all drivers drive the outside line after initiation (IE not Rhys Millen '05).

Piner
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Blaze has obviously not been to FD atlanta, track setup is awesome btw.

Bebop
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Blaze has obviously not been to FD atlanta, track setup is awesome btw.

Sorry but i have to disagree, with all track available why why after the chicane do they need to back track around going up hill.

lol @ rhys millen 05.. I do think they got a but carried away with that call though.

conspire
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Sorry but i have to disagree, with all track available why why after the chicane do they need to back track around going up hill.

because you can't see anything past the bridge. so how can the judges accurately judge and as a spectator, who wants to watch only part of a drifting match?

Slapshotnerd
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM

I agree with Piner. The Atlanta track is amazing. The elevation change really doesn't show well on TV, and once you've seen some runs at the track in person, you'll change your opinion. That track is the epitome of the perfect fan-oriented drift track

Cavi Mike
01-11-2010, 11:20 AM

I don't think passing is encouraged in any sanction. I believe the only time it's even acceptable is if someone goes WAY off line or spins out. I don't want to see passing anyways, it's not a race. I want to see the chase driver use his skill to perfectly follow the line of the lead car, no matter how bad or slow it is.

Bebop
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree with Piner. The Atlanta track is amazing. The elevation change really doesn't show well on TV, and once you've seen some runs at the track in person, you'll change your opinion. That track is the epitome of the perfect fan-oriented drift track

You gotta remember your talking to a guy that's been to D1 @ Fuji Circuit. When D1 goes to these big F1 style tracks they always try to use the fastest driftable part of the course. They make drivers udjust to the excisting course rather then making the course adjust to drifting. I think FD more focuses on the spectator arrangement and what can be more technical. At the end of the day I think I think the technical side must be changed in order to speed up competition a little more and give more of a even playing field to some cars. LOL @ some of you guys are wondering why big V8s are taking over the series lol. Its real easy to get around these technical courses when you got torque at like 4k lol.

I don't think passing is encouraged in any sanction. I believe the only time it's even acceptable is if someone goes WAY off line or spins out. I don't want to see passing anyways, it's not a race. I want to see the chase driver use his skill to perfectly follow the line of the lead car, no matter how bad or slow it is.

Yup, passing is not encouraged in any sanctioning body for drifting. D1 does not want you to go for the pass right off the bat. But in drivers meetings they do want you to adjust your like from qualifying. Running a more tight and defensive line for the lead driver, and of course the chase driver is trying to mimic but they also suggest to take advantage of the other drivers mistake and "drive your heart out". If a driver gets passed in D1, they probably weren't following the direction in the drivers meeting.

All the changes I want too see in US drifting are in favor of making the sport more fair, exciting, and most of all more marketable. The way its going now in a few years its going to be a proverbial one make series lol. Tanner Foust will win the series in 2010!

AlexPfeiffer
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
God another topic about passing. I was the one who pushed to not allow passing in FD. If you dont understand why, then just talk to me.

boxmod
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I just had a debate with a friend over V8 vs 'traditional' 4cyl/6cyl turbos in a drift car.

I told him there isn't really any reason to mod a 4cyl to the teeth to have it equal the performance of a V8 at medium/modest mod level. You cant be competitive on the high speed (high trq required) sections of courses, plain and simple.

I love technical over high speed, and D1 has a share of slower technical and then other high speed courses. We seem obsessed with speed here so much that its all 90mph+ entry with 2-3 clips after that.

Atlanta is a great venue because its got such a tight technical line to be on, and there is not as much of an advantage to major powered cars EXCEPT on the downhill/acceleration portion.

Either way, its all about fun for me and most drivers. The thrill is doing something that is crazy and nearly impossible with a car. i'd rather drive a new track every weekend that 7 high speed ones once a year. its all about variety for me.

courantcom
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
My main thing at this point is K rails, I might be alone when I say this but I'm sick and tired of watching cars get ripped too shreds hitting these things. It really puts a lag on events at times. I think K rails should be a last ditch effort to protect the spectators only. And organizers should really take some time to invest in something that can protect the integrity of the machines as well.

I don't know about you, but I love K-Rails...and concrete walls, trees, obstacles, etc. ;-)

Bebop
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I just had a debate with a friend over V8 vs 'traditional' 4cyl/6cyl turbos in a drift car.

I told him there isn't really any reason to mod a 4cyl to the teeth to have it equal the performance of a V8 at medium/modest mod level. You cant be competitive on the high speed (high trq required) sections of courses, plain and simple.

I actually think V8s have the advantage on slower parts of a course compared to a 4 cylinder turbo. A nicely built SR20 and a mildly built LS1 both have a max torque of about 380. But a Ls1 can use it at such a low RPM. Its nice to be able to slow down and get back on the gas with vengeance without a whole bunch of rev matching.

I love technical over high speed, and D1 has a share of slower technical and then other high speed courses. We seem obsessed with speed here so much that its all 90mph+ entry with 2-3 clips after that.

Ha, the only technical course still existing in D1 is ebisu... and that course only has like 2 or 3 critical judging zone. But D1 got smart... your don't like the new Pro D1 series? You miss the old D1 tracks and grassroot style? Here you go world, D1 Street Legal... best of all you can compete in it too!!!

Look at D1s format.... they haven't been in the states in full form in 3 years, they have been totally out of europe, austraulia, nz, malaysia. But they still have the most exposure of their talent in the world. People still go out and buy option DVDs. And people are still watching them on the Internet (they need to figure out a way to start charging people).... and its entertaining. They found a format that halfway works and for some reason people fail to duplicate.

When D1 finally goes on TV live or pre recorded its just going to be a convenience for the fans. The foundation will already be there.

Atlanta is a great venue because its got such a tight technical line to be on, and there is not as much of an advantage to major powered cars EXCEPT on the downhill/acceleration portion.

LOL I drink to that... anyone remember Taka vs Sam back in 05 or 06. Taka in his NA corolla chasing Sam's butt all over the place... Took like 3 OMTs for taka to finally give up! Granted that was a long time ago and the sport was judged alot differently.... if only some of the judges back then did not make such stupid mistakes.

Either way, its all about fun for me and most drivers. The thrill is doing something that is crazy and nearly impossible with a car. I'd rather drive a new track every weekend that 7 high speed ones once a year. its all about variety for me.

Its all love and fun until money gets involved. IMAO, there's way too many drivers/team owners who don't care about the sport. They are happy because they are getting money now and will only make a suggestion to better their teams chances of wining. Like I said before in a previous thread, a good majority of fans who were here 4 or 5 years ago are not around anymore. And its not because they don't like drifting, they just got bored of FD and or miss D1.

The fan base in my eyes right now is temporary. Alot of Families, alot of really young kids. Alot of experimenters, fans of open wheel/nascar/road racing who just want to see what the hype is about (they are some of the more vocal). The company has to figure out a way to keep them coming back year after year. Give them some sort of real foundation to grasp on that keeps them coming back.... its just not there and doesn't seem to be coming.

One of these years ticket sales are going to drop, and key sponsors will start backing out (red bull is already gone), and the sport in the states will need to evolve. And I just hope they will be ready when this happens. It could be this year, it could be 5 years from now but its going to happen.

One of the things that irked me alot last year was the top 32 tandem. At first its like cool, now everyone can go head to head. But at the same time I had to admit that this would be really boring on TV....and we are only now half way through!!! That in my eyes in not progression.

The only reason why I'm posting this here right now is because I know the guys at XDC are reading and I just hope they are getting some hints. And if they capitalize on what the other series is doing wrong, they can have a real good thing going for them selves and the sport overall. There is nothing wrong with being the guinea pig series.

Bebop
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't know about you, but I love K-Rails...and concrete walls, trees, obstacles, etc. ;-)

I'm a personaly fan of jumps my self... I just dont like things that leave me in the hot sun for 10 mins to an hour (unless you are there) with no action.

Justin Banner
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm a personaly fan of jumps my self...

Speaking of, does the Pro-Am course at Phoenix still have the hump? Guys were getting air there at one time.

conspire
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Speaking of, does the Pro-Am course at Phoenix still have the hump? Guys were getting air there at one time.

that wasn't Phoenix, it was Laughlin, NV and I'm not sure, that parking lot was trashed back then and we just barely scraped by having them pave only the track portion. the hump was from paving over a median to link two parking lots.

Justin Banner
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
that wasn't Phoenix, it was Laughlin, NV and I'm not sure, that parking lot was trashed back then and we just barely scraped by having them pave only the track portion. the hump was from paving over a median to link two parking lots.

That's right, it was Laughlin. Didn't know it was because of how it was paved, though. It was presented like as if it was always that way from the coverage (NOPI on Speed, if I remember right) it got.

Bebop
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I think you two may be talking about 2 diferent jumps, because pro am was never on TV.

B.Young
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Proam in Tucson, AZ Aug 2nd 08 had a shallow one in the first entry. That was a great night of drifting.:D

boxmod
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I personally love top32 tandem. I think tandem is the only reason drifting is appealing to the general public. Single car is neat to see, but people love door to door.

I think if the TV show focused on comeptition and didn't 'skip' battles, it would be better. Of course you would need an hour show, and then do it like drag racing shows. Little background on driver A vs B (name/hometown/car) boom battle, and who won- next.

This years FD coverage had good angles on the cameras but the 'voice over announcer' kept re-summarizing everything before and after a commercial break. He also 'told' me how a battle went and totally skipped it. These guys didn't pour in blood/sweat/money into attending and qualifying for the event to get skipped. Its not a time crunch issue because later they would show a replay 2 times of another battle and interview drivers making one battle skipped and another almost 8 minutes of the show. The worst example was in Long Beach... they talked about a 2 car tandem battle and skipped it- then proceeded to talk about a battle where JR's competitor had car issues and couldn't run but they SHOW JR's SOLO RUN! Politics? Sponsor money? Treat everyone the same or your going to continue to lose sponsors for other drivers. Sure the series is healthy, but the driver count has dwindled from 50+ to low 30s now- FD needs more drivers. Worst part of it all.. shows over and I've seen only most of the Top 16 rounds? What the hell.... Tune in next week? wtf?

Wanna make stronger teams? Get more drivers on TV so sponsors feel its worthwhile. Do top 32 coverage, battles straight up, no BS'ing at some guys shop -maybe have stand alone 30 min episodes to feature the series leaders/standouts? Also, show me an entire event in one episode. If you were watching NASCAR on tv and at lap 300/500 they said "Tune in next week to see who takes the checkered flag here at Daytona" you would turn fans away so fast. Especially since we already have month+ delays for the show to air so we KNOW the winners... we just wanna see how it happened.

And please dont make it entirely obvious that the announcing was done after a race and always seems to be 'dead on' with the judges decision and straight up wrong sometimes. example there was FD Atlanta where Pat had to stop to not hit Joon and the announcers talking about how Pat did something wrong and lost the battle...Those of us there in real life know Pat won the battle and got DQ'd shortly after for the tire compound claim (which was later retracted after the event ended). Even if I wasn't there in person I woulda called a WTF on the notion that what Pat did was an error and not saving 2 potentially wrecked cars from Joon's real error.

The TV side of drifting is a big part of why its struggling to attract big sponsors IMO.

I'm kinda off topic i guess, but there is a lot that can be fixed with TV and I think that + more events per year, will help solidify drifting as a 'real motorsport'.

Bebop
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree the sport needs to progress in its TV production alot.

But I feel and so do others that the top 32 format is not that good for TV and sponsorship exposure. Don't get me wrong, 2 long qualifying sessions isn't good for TV either. I have a ideas but I wont post them on here. Feel free anyone who wants to PM me about them. My ideas would make the sport not only be more appealing to all sponsors, but will help the sport be better broadcasted pre recorded or live. And it would actually bring some flat out endurance to the sport... more so like real racing.

Bebop
01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Proam in Tucson, AZ Aug 2nd 08 had a shallow one in the first entry. That was a great night of drifting.:D

oh the pro am qualifier....

Justin Banner
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
My ideas would make the sport not only be more appealing to all sponsors, but will help the sport be better broadcasted pre recorded or live. And it would actually bring some flat out endurance to the sport... more so like real racing.

Ok, now you have my full attention. Give me your idea and I'll see where I can go with it.

Bebop
01-15-2010, 12:37 AM
PM sent, enjoy, judge, laugh, and criticize

Justin Banner
01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
PM sent, enjoy, judge, laugh, and criticize

PM replied. Dude, it sounds awesome.

INFO
02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
UPDATE

Xtreme Drift Circuit opens registration and adds Car Show Competition
February 8, 2010 (Tustin, Calif.) – The countdown to the first event of the inaugural Xtreme Drift Circuit championship has officially begun as registration has opened for round one at Irwindale. This will be the first chance for competitors to make their mark in the country’s only nationwide Pro-Am championship.

Several drivers with Formula Drift and D1GP competition experience have already committed to the 2010 series, ensuring a high level of competition and plenty of talent to ensure crowd-pleasing drifting at the House of Drift. Notable names that have committed to the XDC season – and will be at Irwindale – include Forrest Wang, Quoc Ly, Chelsea Denofa, Mark Manansala, Lance Feliciano, Aaron Losey, Gary Lang, and Will Parsons.

And while there will be several drivers that fans of drifting are already familiar with, there will also be lots that no one has heard of. There will be several new names from Southern California – wildcards, no doubt – looking to see how they measure up against a higher level of competition and make a name for themselves in the hopes of grabbing the prize money on offer. The winner of the event will take home a $3000 cash prize, the runner-up will take home $2000, third place will receive $1000, and fourth will take $500. In addition, all drivers will be eligible for contingency prizes from ACT Clutch and Genius Tools, with more contingency prizes to be announced later.

With the on-track product ready to deliver, the series has added to the experience off the track by introducing the REMIX Car Show Competition. Remix will feature a wide range of cars, including exotics, modern muscle cars, and naturally, high-performance modified vehicles similar to the cars competing in the Xtreme Drift Circuit. Car corrals for clubs for Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Scion, Infiniti, BMW, Mustangs, Genesis, K-Cars and Muscle cars will be featured at each REMIX event. The REMIX Car Show Competition will be at each stop on the Xtreme Drift Circuit, in addition to other standalone events across the country. More information about the REMIX Car Show Competition will be available soon at www.remixevents.com.

“The excitement for our inaugural event at Irwindale Speedway is building each day,” said Brian Eggert, XDC Competition Director. “We have gotten a great response from Pro-Am drivers around the country, and naturally, from tons of drivers around Southern California. There will be a large field of drivers lining up on March 20 and we can hardly wait.”
The XDC will continue to make further announcements about the event in the weeks leading up to the March 20 opener at Irwindale.
2010 XDC Events Schedule
March 20, 2010 XDC/REMIX Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale, CA
May 22, 2010 XDC/REMIX Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, NV
June 19, 2010 XDC/REMIX Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV
July 31, 2010 REMIX Dolphin Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
August 7, 2010 XDC/REMIX Englishtown Raceway, Englishtown, NJ
September 25, 2010 XDC/REMIX Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
October 16, 2010 XDC/REMIX Firebird Raceway, Chandler, AZ
December 11, 2010 REMIX Blaisdell Expo Center, Honolulu, HI

Slapshotnerd
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
is REMIX the remains of HIN?

conspire
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
to the best of my knowledge I believe the answer is no.

Corbic
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
beat me to it!!

LA LV AZ NJ FL

As always, Midwest is shafted.

D1 DRIFTER
02-10-2010, 11:59 PM
does anyone know if a fire surpression system is now required? since 2010 FD rules require one?

thanks!

see you dudes at irwindale!

Bebop
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I think they are but they run pretty cheap 300-400 iirc

conspire
02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
for XDC you only need the following, however, if you ever plan on doing FD, then you might as well get one if you can afford to.

"All cars must be fitted with a minimum two (2) lb. fire-extinguishing bottle mounted in the driver’s compartment within reach of the driver when he/she is in the normal seated position. The mounting bracket must be a quick-release type, and must be mounted so that it can be removed easily for label inspection and verification of full charge by weighing.

Acceptable extinguishants are Halon 1211, Halon 1301, Underwriters Laboratory 10BC rated Potassium Bicarbonate (Purple K), Underwriters Laboratory 1A10BC Ammonium Phosphate/Barium Sulfate, or Monnex. "

Bob @ XDC
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Rulebook will be posted on website tonight !

http://www.xtremedriftcircuit.com

Bebop
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I will not be attending this event.

boxmod
02-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Rulebook will be posted on website tonight !

http://www.xtremedriftcircuit.com

finally, but i dont see a link?

slideways2004
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
so Chris Forsberg is a judge?

Slapshotnerd
02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
If you're wondering about Remix's street cred, don't trip. Most of the staff were the backbone of HIN, so rest assured, they know what they're doing.

Looks like I was right.

110octane
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
So, who will be judging this thing????

INFO
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

we should have a press release by Monday

INFO
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
XDC Judges and Irwindale Event Enhancements Announced

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
XDC Judges and Irwindale Event Enhancements Announced
March 2, 2010 (Tustin, Calif.) – With three weeks to go before the first XDC event on March 20 in Irwindale, the series is happy to formally announce its 2010 list of judges.

Raising the bar of Pro-Am judging, XDC is pleased to announce the judging trio of Chris Forsberg, Matt Petty, and Michael Schneider for the 2010 season.

Forsberg is no stranger to any fan of drifting. The 2009 Formula Drift champion became the first series champion whose driving career originated from grassroots drifting, and is uniquely placed to advise and guide the next wave of professional drifters coming up through the XDC. Petty, organizer of the grassroots drifting organization Club Loose, organized the first drifting event at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ in 2003 which he runs to this day. Under his guidance, more Club Loose competition drivers have reached podium status than any other organization’s drivers in the United States. Schneider has served as the head judge of USDrift for the past seven years, and has also judged several PRO/AM regional and national events alongside Formula Drift’s judges in addition to assisting other regional organizations as a guest judge.

“The XDC series is a great opportunity for up-and-coming drivers to compete on a national level, building the bridge between PRO/AM and the Formula Drift Pro Championship Series,” said Forsberg. “I am very excited to have been chosen as a judge for their inaugural year, and look forward to seeing the best grassroots talent America has to offer.”

The XDC Supershow
The XDC will not only provide a platform for the country’s semi-pro drifters to compete on a national level at professional tracks, but XDC Events will provide entertainment above and beyond that of a typical drifting event with ancillary attractions planned in conjunction with industry organizations and promoters at each event. In addition to the series’ association with Formula Drift as a Formula Drift affiliate series, and the REMIX Award Tour which will be at every event, the circuit will also collaborate with Primedia’s Super Lap Battle, Hyperfest, Hot Import Nights, and Adams Motorsports Park at events throughout the 2010 season. This is just the start – there are several more industry partnerships to be announced. Select events will also see lifestyle collaborations with the World of Dance Tour and the leader in nightlife, ClubDistrict.com.

Product Support for drivers of XDC
Several companies have joined the XDC to provide parts and discounts for the drivers of the series in an effort to support and grow the industry by means of giving back to the grassroots community. In addition to contingency support from Genius Tools, ACT, and Belle-1 Communications, varying levels of product support will come from Cooper Tires, Enkei, Rays, Volk, Gram Lights, Seibon, and Killer Glass.

“We are really excited to see these companies dedicated resources to the grassroots community, which is the backbone of the automotive aftermarket,” said Michael Munar, President of XDC Events. “This is a similar trend we saw when producing HIN in the late 90’s where companies who supported the enthusiasts needs early on, became industry leaders for years to come. Timing is everything, and hence our mission to aid in the growth of the industry now, rather than later.”

JDM Parts Sale added to Vendor Midway
The Vendor Midway at Irwindale Speedway will see the addition of a special one day only sale on rare and unique parts from Bride, Bomex, 5-Zigen and JP. Seats, bodykits, wheels, and other hard-to-find parts will be sold on Saturday, March 20 at XDC Irwindale in the Vendor Midway between 11am and 7pm.

Media Coverage
Fulfilling its aim to provide a higher level of media and industry exposure for the next wave of professional drifters and car show competitors, XDC has secured media arrangements with Primedia’s Super Street and Import Tuner, PAS Mag, Wrecked Magazine (www.wreckedmagazine.com), Drifting.com, plus dozens of other industry publications and websites.

Rulebook and Registration
Drivers with questions about the rulebook for XDC can download a copy of the rulebook (v 1.1) from the series website at http://www.xtremedriftcircuit.com/index.php/download_file/-/view/239/

2010 XDC Events Schedule
March 20, 2010 XDC/REMIX Toyota Speedway of Irwindale, Irwindale, CA
May 22, 2010 XDC/REMIX Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, NV
June 19, 2010 XDC/REMIX Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV
July 31, 2010 REMIX Sunlife Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
August 7, 2010 XDC/REMIX Englishtown Raceway, Englishtown, NJ
September 25, 2010 XDC/REMIX Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
October 16, 2010 XDC/REMIX Firebird Raceway, Chandler, AZ
December 11, 2010 REMIX Blaisdell Expo Center, Honolulu, HI
ABOUT XTREME DRIFT CIRCUIT

The XDC is the country’s premier national Pro-Am drifting championship, featuring a six-round championship with the rising stars of professional drifting set in a full-scale lifestyle festival. For more information, visit www.xtremedriftcircuit.com. Competitors with rulebook and technical questions should contact Michael Schneider at mike.c@usdrift.com. Drivers with general event questions should contact Brian Eggert at brian@xtremedriftcircuit.com, or by calling (804) 65-PROAM (77626).

The REMIX Car Show Competition will host the ultimate platform for the nation’s top builders and car junkies, featuring music, dance, cars, fashion, sports, art, and lifestyle. For more information, contact nate.leon@remixevents, or visit www.remixevents.com.

For all media interested in the XDC Tour, please contact Efrain Olivares, SHIFT Communications, efrain@shiftgroup.net, (818) 254-7196.

For more information on XDC sales and sponsorship opportunities, contact info@xtremedriftcircuit.com, or call (949) 467-9015.

INFO
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Chris Forsberg, Matt Petty, and Michael Schneider

YOitzJDM
03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZPEhOhRkss8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZPEhOhRkss8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

it concerns me that the models and car show are hyped just as much if not more than the drifters.

Also, this radio commercial makes it sound a little more like "pimp my ride" than a professional motorsport event....

..... but maybe it's just me.

INFO
03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Jarod DeAnda inked as the announcer for 2010 Xtreme Drift Circuit as more companies become a part of the XDC Super Show

March 12, 2010 (Tustin, Calif.) – In a further round of announcements for the Xtreme Drift Circuit, the series is proud to announce that Jarod DeAnda will be announcing at all six events of the 2010 Xtreme Drifting Circuit. In addition to being known as the ‘Voice of Formula Drift’, DeAnda’s announcing credits include DMCC, HyperFest, the Need for Speed video game series, Rally X at the summer X-Games, and snowmobiling at the winter X-Games. DeAnda’s passion, experience and knowledge for drifting will make him a great addition to the XDC.

“I’m stoked to be a part of the XDC Tour,” said DeAnda. “Meeting and announcing for the up-and-coming drivers across the country will be fun and education for both the fans and the competitors. Current Pro drivers had to start somewhere and now with sanctioning bodies like the XDC the drivers are going to have more opportunity to become professionals even sooner. Thanks to XDC for the opportunity and I’m looking forward to getting the crowd hyped!”

Additional Media Partners for XDC
XDC is also proud to announce that its media partnership with Performance Auto & Sound will encompass all eight of the XDC/REMIX events in 2010, creating the ultimate event, print, and online media group. Spectators and readers will be able to connect with the XDC/REMIX community and network with other automotive enthusiasts on PASNATION, Performance Auto & Sound’s online social network, and post photos and video on the PAS Message Boards.

Another collaboration, with Source Interlink, will see XDC coverage in the pages of Super Street magazine, REMIX coverage in Import Tuner, and will see Super Lap Battle partner with XDC at the series’ second event of the season at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

More Partners Announced for XDC
The management team at XDC is proud to announce the addition of more corporate partners that will provide product support for the competitors of the XDC. Enkei Wheels has signed on to become a sponsor of the XDC, and will have a presence at each event on the 2010 XDC Tour.

Through its Mishimoto Loves Drifters program, Mishimoto will provide drivers of the XDC a 50% discount of its product line that includes radiators, oil coolers, and intercoolers. “We are excited to be involved with the XDC,” said Hannah Robbins, Brand Manager of Mishimoto. “XDC is a great addition to professional drift competitions and we are happy to offer our support to drivers through the MLD/XDC partnership.” Members of MLD will also receive discounted apparel, free decals, and a featured bio on mishimotolovesdrifters.com. To become a member, contact MLD@mishimoto.com.

Also signing on as a sponsor of the XDC is BuddyClub. BuddyClub will also support the grassroots drivers of the XDC by extending the company’s racers program to the drivers. Any XDC drivers interested in the program can send a request to info@buddyclub.us.

Universal Technical Institute will also be on hand at XDC Irwindale, continuing its long-standing support of drifting and extending its outreach to the grassroots community.

Nick Hogan and Gleb Antanov announced as XDC Tour drivers
Reality television star Nick Hogan recently announced his intention to compete in the 2010 XDC tour aboard a Nissan 350Z. Returning to the sport after a brief hiatus, Hogan’s career best result is a top three at the NOPI Pittsburgh event in 2007. Hogan will use this season to promote his charity, Keep It On The Track, which promotes safe driving and seat belt use across the country. Hogan is scheduled to be at all six XDC events, but may not compete until round two in Las Vegas if his car is not ready by March 20.
Coming from the Pacific Northwest community of drifters, Gleb Antonov has been announced as a 2010 XDC Tour driver, which will see him attend all six events as his vehicle will be transported on the XDC rig. A veteran of Formula Drift Pro-Am and the Evergreen Drift scene, Antonov also competed in a borrowed car in the Professional Russian Drift Series where he made it to the top-8. Antonov will compete in the same S13 that he drove throughout 2009 – which is the same S13 that he was pulled over in after drifting down Sunset Blvd after the Formula Drift Pro-Am event in Irwindale!

2010 XDC Events Schedule
March 20, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Toyota Speedway of Irwindale, Irwindale, CA
May 22, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, NV
June 19, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV
July 31, 2010 | REMIX | Sunlife Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL
August 7, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Englishtown Raceway, Englishtown, NJ
September 25, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
October 16, 2010 | XDC/REMIX | Firebird Raceway, Chandler, AZ
December 11, 2010 | REMIX | Blaisdell Expo Center, Honolulu, HI

Piner
03-12-2010, 02:02 PM
why is it the next paragraph after talking about nick's Keep it on the track program it then goes on and glorifys a guy who didn't keep it on the track. Yeaaaah....