X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falken Tire stepping it up!!

Just saw this press release from Falken Tire:

November 6, 2009

Falken Tire is proud to announce the launch of the new Azenis RT615-K. While the original RT615 proved to be a dominant force in the DOT approved and truly street functional competition tire category, we’ve decided to make it even better. 

The K in the new RT615-K can have many meanings but none describe the second generation 615 better than KAIZEN. 

By definition, this Japanese word means "continuous improvement" which precisely describes the newest edition to the Azenis lineup. Visually, nearly identical to its predecessor, the subtle K on the sidewall is the only tell tale sign of what lies within its completely revised tread compound. 

Although taking uncompromised grip to the next level, the new RT retains a 200A/A UTQG rating, still making it eligible by nearly all “Street Tire Class” competition sanctioning bodies. 

Other familiar features adopted by the RT615-K include an 8/32nds molded tread design, light weight casing construction and high tension carcass resulting in superior grip, improved handling response and high speed stability.

With 21 sizes ideal for a wide range of today’s most popular applications, the RT615-K is refined on the track and bred for the streets. 

At Falken Tire, We Get You Going!

I gotta say, it was pretty impressive that the Falken cars were able to be competitive when there competitors on Hankooks, Maxxis, Nitto's, and Toyo's were running much softer compound tires.

This should heat things up on the Drift track and in SCCA competitions! 2010 is going to be nuts!!!

LOL I thought this was a new drivers lineup, before opening up I was saying to my self "please tell me they got rid of Calvin Wan" lol.

Like the dude but his driving was really off this year.

Maxxis had a softer compount then the RT615?

Who would have thought.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing before opening this up!!! hahahahahhahaahaha

Comment

I had a feeling this thread was about someone who's name starts with a p and ends in owers, oh well.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint guys. I think this is pretty interesting newsand will surely make the Falken team more competitive in 2010 as well as offer SCCA and NASA dudes another option.

Blaze; you can read more regarding Calvin's departure from Falken tire here. http://www.calvinwan.com/

Calvin is truly a class act. Anyone that hates on him surely doesn't know the man.

Comment

I agree, calvin is a very nice intelligent guy. My anger towards the situation is more focused on falken. They got rid of 5 very good drivers (fors,haruguchi,nashida,yamamoto, and sumida) and kept calvin who hasnt had a podium since 05(damn time flys fast). I know (at least I think) with Nashida and Fors it had to do with mostly budget with the teams within the teams of falken but is a seems as if with the devolmpment offerd to Calvin another more skilled and talented driver could have done a bit better with a ex championship vehicle.

Even though I say that I am very excited to see what he can do on his own. Alot of drivers who have left falken have had much better careers(fors/nashida). I will be even more excited if he is coming back in his FD. Its always good to have more rotarys on grid and if he drives that thing like he did at vegas 08(killed it!) my hat goes off to him.

Comment

Having a bit of inside information on the Falken team I can tell you each one of those drivers was let go for various reasons. Not a single one was because they were bad drivers or bad dudes. Of course, there were some hard feelings and such but that is life and that's motorsports. I am not speaking on their behalf, but I am sure the guys at Falken are happy to see them at the track and running their successful programs.

One thing most people never new about Falken's program is that it was not always focused on winning the podium every event. Being involved and helping the sport grow was always priority one since 03'. If it meant sponsoring dudes so that Formula D would have a full grid that is what they would do. So much that has been done by Falken for the sport has gone unnoticed by the general public and even insiders. That is just one example.

I wish Calvin the best of luck putting together a program for 2010. I am sure he will make it happen and I will guess that there will still be Falken rubber on his car.

Comment

Blaze wasn't sumida almost always crashing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
                  Blaze wasn't sumida almost always crashing?
                  He was in his own zombie chaser

But even then the dude still was a fun driver to watch, long beach 06 dude had a crazy sequence of battles with ken gushi. Imo, they both crashed into one another both broke un fixable parts. And instead of going out wreckless Hiro litteraly bowed out of comp....much class

When he got with discount he was great with talking to fans a art that has been lost as of late. But the car was never ready for competition. Instead of getting the suspension geometry 100% dialed in and subtracting the weight they droped a V8 in it it handeld even worst and he crashed a few times. Dai was a free agent the car was tottaled, SPD bult another one and got dai to drive it.... Dai crashed even harder in the car and it seems like they have scrapped the concept all together.

110oct

I always thought in motorsports your only as good as your last race.... its just that Calvin had alot of bad races before he got axed. Unlike other drivers who had a bad year due to bad setup by the team it self.

Take Haruguchi for example... he came out guns blazing mid year in 06. Intec and him came out fully wraped in falken in 07 won the first event of the year at long beach. He had a so so year the rest of that, debuted a new car at the end of the year. After that... either intec ran out of money or falken didnt see any point on keeping them on the team and they were gone with the wind.

I dont see how any driver in this sport can podium and end up without a ride the following year...

Sorry for the spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post

I dont see how any driver in this sport can podium and end up without a ride the following year...

Sorry for the spelling.
                    That's really disappointing and embarrassing as far as a motorsport goes. I understand its still a relatively new sport to the U.S., but how can drivers get motivated if they can't even have a guaranteed ride/sponsorship.

Comment

Remember in '07, Dai got 3rd overall with 2 event wins, and Rockstar and Nitto both didn't come back.

I don't think Nitto has been on the podium since?

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                        When he got with discount he was great with talking to fans a art that has been lost as of late. But the car was never ready for competition. Instead of getting the suspension geometry 100% dialed in and subtracting the weight they droped a V8 in it it handeld even worst and he crashed a few times. Dai was a free agent the car was tottaled, SPD bult another one and got dai to drive it.... Dai crashed even harder in the car and it seems like they have scrapped the concept all together.
                        A V8 was dropped in it because it is the standard in 75-80% of the field as we know it today. All drivers that make the transition from turbo 4-6 cylinders to N/A v8's love the instant power and ease of driving.

It is a well known fact that the 2j is a heavy engine which screwed up the balance of the car along with the lag of the T67 turbo.

The car Dai drove wasn't even in the same class as the original car Hiro piloted. Falken and SPD invested alot of time and effort into building a competitive car. Its unfortunate that the car did not last long enough to stretch its legs and be competitive but that's motorsports.

I'm lucky enough to have "insider" information on the lexus and it was an event or two away from the podium for sure.

I wish Calvin all the best. Sometimes breaking away and going out on your own fuels a fire that could only have been reached by unfortunate situations i.e. Ross Petty and Chris Forsberg.

Comment

Bump

When are these tires coming out?

Will team falken run them come april?

Any sizes or specs yet.... been thinking about these all week ironically lol.

Comment

Not sure when they will be available to the public? Maybe already, but I doubt it.

As far as I know, the tires were used at Irwindale by at least some of the cars and will hopefully be outfitted on all the cars come Long Beach.

Finally , a tire from Falken that can compare compound softness wise to the Maxxis, Nitto, Hankook, and Toyo. These should be a great benefit to the Falken drivers this year.

The other question is, will the Dunlop StarSpec be offered in this same compound for use of the D1 drivers in Japan or even be available in the US market??? I wish Dunlop USA would support US drifting.

Comment

sorry, i don't check this site that often but saw my name come up...

Jonny F.,
                              sounds like you know me well.
                              almost always crashing ?. . . . . interesting.

blaze1,
                              that's awesome that you remember that battle with Gushi.
                              fun times !!
                              and fyi, the is350 i was driving was never totalled. it's fixed.
                              and Dai is a good friend of mine, so i was really hoping he'd do well
                              in the new chassis. but i guess it was a tough setup.....

like 110octane said, each driver's were let go for various reasons,
                              but we're all still good friends.
                              RT615-K seems promising !

hiro S.
                              Last edited by tululu; 01-30-2010, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X