ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RedBull Drifting World Championship?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RedBull Drifting World Championship?!?!?

Are they still planing this?

Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
    Are they still planing this?
    Not for this year.

Comment

I wonder if they will hold the event every four years like the world cup kind of thing.

Comment

I predict the UAE event will turn into the Red Bull championship in coming years

it seems like the perfect date and location for it!

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
          it seems like the perfect date and location for it!
          I would be semi OK with that if FD had a stable Pro Am championship event

I think combining the 2 like in 2008 is the best way, but it has to be on neutral ground or on the east coast.

Comment

i heard that it will drop in 2011. fingers crossed that it happens

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
              I would be semi OK with that if FD had a stable Pro Am championship event

I think combining the 2 like in 2008 is the best way, but it has to be on neutral ground or on the east coast.
              i think it worked out just fine to have it in conjunction with the Irwindale event. The timing turned out to be a little off, but that's easy enough to fix.

Comment

Well do you find it fair that drivers from the east coast, north, and Canada have to come out the furthest south west point of the country? Let me remind you that California has 2 Pro Am drift series that licences their top rank driver(s).

Its just a bit frustrating FD can organize and hold events all around the world but cant get anything to the people of middle America. Its like the dollar is worth a bit less in places like Detroit, Cincinnati, St Louis, and etc.

Comment

when 4/7 events are within 410 miles of Socal (Long Beach, Irwindale, Sonoma, Vegas), then no, I don't think it's out of line to ask a driver to come to LA to get a license. In fact, the participation this year from out-of-state far outnumbered the drivers from in state, so I think it shows that drivers don't mind either. The "House of Drift" is fabled territory for our sport, and asking a driver to qualify at the same track where many current FD drivers first cut their teeth isn't too much to ask.

In fact, I would say that the media coverage from the ProAm this year far exceeded the coverage from all other previous pro am competitions combined, INCLUDING the Red Bull event (which had almost 0 media coverage because the media meeting was during the top 16 for Pro Am). For that reason alone, I think ProAm should continue to be held in conjunction with FD Irwindale.

Holding a 1-off ProAm event in the middle of the US is going to have little to no media coverage, little to no spectators, and nobody outside of the drivers and maybe a blog or two will even notice that the event actually happened. Ask a driver which option they prefer, and I'm pretty sure most drivers will prefer being a sideshow to an event that has 10k people there and 200+ credentialed media over an event that has 50 spectators there and 5-10 media members.

Comment

I'm not saying there should be a one off event for pro am

I agree it should be held with conjunction with a FD pro event rather it be a "world championship" or a points round. The fact most of the events are held in the west coast and the pro am championship is held on west coast all ties into the fact the FD is leaving a good portion of the USA out of the action.

You seriously don't think FD can turn out fans in the midwest? Pretty sad, well at least I believe in them.

I know I've said the Sonoma should be replaced with another Nor Cal event. But honestly, if they replace it with something in the Midwest I would very impressed.
                    Last edited by Bebop; 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

i believe that drifters from all over the nation want to make it to La in some way or another as it is. they may have tracks, and killer events in the midwest, and the north etc... but for some reason, all drifters love to come to cali... now, true... if it was somewhere central it would be "fair" to everyone from all over to have a shorter travel, BUT... the venue, the crowd, and the nostalgia of going somewhere and competing in the highest form that you can while doing it in a place that has a reputation like irwindale... i think that is the best option, for revenue and attendance.

Comment

the Pro-am championship should alternate between the West and East... so its "fair" to everyone. on all years ending in an even number have it at Irwindale, on all years ending in an odd number have it on the east.

Comment

Originally posted by AE86_Fan View Post
                          the Pro-am championship should alternate between the West and East... so its "fair" to everyone. on all years ending in an even number have it at Irwindale, on all years ending in an odd number have it on the east.
                          What track on the East Coast would you host it at? which event can you coordinate it with so that there is adequate media coverage?

Remember, part of the lure of Irwindale is the fact that A) there's a lot of media coverage, B) the track is an actual FD track, and C) 4/7 events are within 400 miles of the track.

Look at the pro am drivers who have gone on to compete and do well in FD... most of them are based in LA or California (just like most of the teams are based out of California).

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                            What track on the East Coast would you host it at? which event can you coordinate it with so that there is adequate media coverage?

Remember, part of the lure of Irwindale is the fact that A) there's a lot of media coverage, B) the track is an actual FD track, and C) 4/7 events are within 400 miles of the track.

Look at the pro am drivers who have gone on to compete and do well in FD... most of them are based in LA or California (just like most of the teams are based out of California).
                            The pale ghostly hockey player has a point. A while back, yeah there was a serious lack of love for east coast/mid west guys but these days it seems like Cali is the place to be.

Also remember that this is an international event. The draw is to see drivers from all over the world compete. I think logistcally it would be easier for them to make it out to Cali or some coastal city on the east no? Maybe NJ? Either way I think if you asked a bunch of international guys where they would rather go Cali or NJ they would probably pick Cali. Then again I'm a bit bias..

Whats the point of holding a huge event in middle America if the media wont come out to give love to the participants?. I do disagree with you on the venues though. I think there are more than a few top notch tracks in those places to hold such an event but the catch is I'm not sure how spectator friendly they are.

Comment

Weather....helllo???

Comment

Working...
                              X