drift an automatic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift an automatic?

is it possible to drift an automatic 240sx? can't really find a clean 5speed so i might end up getting an auto 240sx. please share some insider's opinions on this one.

you can drift with an automatic, but the more advanced levels of drifting are pretty much out of the question. go ahead and get the auto though, you can swap it later and an auto 240 is better than no 240

Comment

yea

Comment

One of my friends has an auto and you can drift it. It just is a lot harder and we use ebrake for now.

Comment

yeah, you'll be limited to e-brake, braking drift, power over and feint

Comment

I was drifting an auto Lexus last night. It's not that hard. Just bad on fuel and tranny. Low gear all the way. Just braking drift like you would a stick though. Sort of falls out of the powerband at the exit though... need a clutch to kick =P

Comment

Originally posted by kaneda
              you can drift with an automatic, but the more advanced levels of drifting are pretty much out of the question. go ahead and get the auto though, you can swap it later and an auto 240 is better than no 240
              Actualy i find its the other way around. The more advanced forms of drifting in my opinion are the weight transfer techniques Which an automatic forces you to learn because you cant just pop a clutch.

Your Open differential is by far the biggest handicap, not the automatic transmission.

I can drift an automatic with out the handbrake so if you want some pointers or to talk on the subject contact me.. im in the dirft chatroom right now at 6:41 pacific

Comment

this is a 96 240sx Se model which i think comes with LSD stock. it's a pretty clean car,only thing is it's an auto so that's what holding me back at the moment. You guys are alot of help, thanks much.......

Comment

oh cool an S14, i dont know why but i was imagining a S13 like mine.

double check the LSD though, im not sure if the Autos came with them. but my S14 knowledge isnt very good.

eitherway good luck with your car. and PM if you want to talk about auto drifting, and possibility of swaps to manual in the future.

Comment

I've always wondered wouldn't the clutch kick/shift lock be really hard on the transmission/axle?/driveshaft I know that making the rear tires skip with a shift lock would be very hard on the rear axle and universal joints.

Comment

In a clutch-kick, do you just depress the clutch, release, and start slidin'??? Also, do you do it in neautral or in gear........?

Comment

an 8 year old viscous type differential is probably garbage by now, you'll probably have to replace it. by now, it might as well be an open diff, it's probably not going to grab that well
                        Last edited by kaneda; 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                          Actualy i find its the other way around. The more advanced forms of drifting in my opinion are the weight transfer techniques Which an automatic forces you to learn because you cant just pop a clutch.

Your Open differential is by far the biggest handicap, not the automatic transmission.

I can drift an automatic with out the handbrake so if you want some pointers or to talk on the subject contact me.. im in the dirft chatroom right now at 6:41 pacific
                          i didn't mean forms as in technique, i meant as in highspeed dynamic drifting and such. automatics don't provide enough control to do certain things

Comment

Indeed very true. it does hamper you as you get better. Unfortionately i've yet to hit that wall.

But i dont plan on keeping the auto forever, but i see no problems in learning with one for now.

Comment

Originally posted by driftersil80
                              In a clutch-kick, do you just depress the clutch, release, and start slidin'??? Also, do you do it in neautral or in gear........?
                              Let me explain. You know how to do a peelout, correct? Put it in gear, clutch in. Rev it up and drop the clutch. That's essentially what a clutch kick is. You're in gear, you depress the clutch with your foot still on the gas, then just drop it. It will send a surge of power to your rear wheels and they'll lose traction. It's especially good for when you drop the powerband and want to put it back up there quick. Watch it with high hp cars though, it can get a little crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X