How to Cool down my Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Cool down my Miata

My miata has been overheating a lot. I dont know if its cuz its hot in SoCal or maybe it needs some cooling gear. What do you guys recommend. So far all it has a intake and thats it. I'm thinking new radiater and fan but not sure. Can I get some opinions please.

Re: How to Cool down my Miata

Originally posted by Nismo
    My miata has been overheating a lot. I dont know if its cuz its hot in SoCal or maybe it needs some cooling gear. What do you guys recommend. So far all it has a intake and thats it. I'm thinking new radiater and fan but not sure. Can I get some opinions please.
    Thermostat.

Comment

Re: How to Cool down my Miata

Originally posted by Nismo

lemonade

Comment

do you have a fan pushing air though the radiator right now? I didnt for a while, but its not as hot up in washington all the time. Try a high pressure radiator cap, an electric fan, a lower temp thermostat, and if those dont work, a bigger radiator.

Comment

drop vent hood...good radeatior..and better front aero parts....

Comment

If you have a stock miata, aside form the air intake and its overheating in this relatively mild temperature increase in so cal, (im also from southern california) then something is probably broken or worn out. Thermostat is a good starting point. I wish i could be more helpful aside from saying that but im really not that knowledgable of a mechanic.

Comment

As for the aftermarket\custom parts, A high proformance radiator would work well, along with a thermostat, (Im not sure how a high pressure radiator cap would cool the car more), also removing the plastic\rubber seal around the hood that touches the firewall will allow more airflow and in turn cool the engine. Taking out the grille and moving other cooling things, like oil coolers or transmisson coolers helps too.

Remeber you my just need a coolant flush...

Comment

Is this a something broken overheating or is it just it runs a little warm overheating.

If the needle goes off the guage, something's broken, most likely the thermostat. Just get a new one and throw it in, problem solved. If your car has a fan, it should run. If it doesn't, then that may need to be replaced.

If it's just a little warm type of overheating, then follow what others have said.

Comment

Get a aluminum radiator and electric fan..
                  also try a better thermostat that opens at a lower temmp..
                  Mabey use evans cooling fluid..

Also mabey Junpower CustoM hood lifts =)
                  Works on my fc =)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                    If you have a stock miata, aside form the air intake and its overheating in this relatively mild temperature increase in so cal, (im also from southern california) then something is probably broken or worn out. Thermostat is a good starting point. I wish i could be more helpful aside from saying that but im really not that knowledgable of a mechanic.
                    what mods do you have on your car? because if it is stock like nissanguy_24 said above, you have some mechanical issues to work out.. check your radiator, make sure it has adequet fluid.. check your hoses and fans and all that good stuff.. if you've modified your car, you might consider getting an aftermarket radiator, as well as an aftarmarket oil cooler (looks just like a radiator, but smaller), and maybe a hood with a vent or something to that effect to allow more air in there.

Comment

Check to make sure the raditior is clean, change out the fluid, new cap and new thermostat. Hood vents and maybe a bumper vent should really cool things down.

Comment

Stock thermostats tend to go easily,since your overheating now,it's probably already gone anyways.Just take it out when you get the chance and test it out(using water to find its operating temp).If that's gone,buy a good aftermarket thermostat and make sure it's fail safe.I doubt you have any leaks,it's a little hard not to notice them.Check out the thermostat though.

Alright,when you take the thermostat out,check for a printed temperature.This is the temperature it opens at.Now take the thermostat and a thermometer(one that can read above 100ºC at least).Now boil the water as high as needed,holding in the thermostat while monitoring the water temp.If the thermostat doesn't open at the printed temp,you know it's fried.Pretty simple,and could save you lots of time,money,and manpower.

Comment

hahaha, the car i drive doesnt have problems like that. no radiator! hehehe. but i agree with what everyone has been saying, thermostat

Comment

miatas tend to overheat alot because of no real air flow to the radiator not to mention the radiators themselves are pretty small. 9 times out of 10 it's the thermostat. A little advise: go with a higher temp thermostat. They really stay alot cooler and way below normal temps. If you have the money upgrade your radiator also.

Comment

First, bleed the cooling system. Air bubbles in the system will reduce efficiency dramatically. Coolant is cheap, so you might as well do it. If that doesn't do it and you're poor, then buy some Redline Water Wetter. And... if that doesn't do it, then I think it's the thermostat.

Comment

Working...
                              X