X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) Formula Drift UAE 2011

(FEEDBACK) Formula Drift UAE 2011

please post your feedback on this thread

My iPhone JTV kept cutting out so I'll have to watch it later when they post the whole thing.

My biggest problem with the event from what I saw was the idiotic mandatory outside clipping zones. If any track is designed to not need them it's this one. There could have been some great battles for the last apex but the judges would rather see a wide smokey dance.

Comment

LOL, I was effed up in a whole other world last night...but when I got home around 4AM I turned on the live stream.... but I fell asleep.

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
      My biggest problem with the event from what I saw was the idiotic mandatory outside clipping zones. If any track is designed to not need them it's this one.
      Its cool for qualifying, but yeah it destroys potentially good tandem battles.

Comment

the live feed was great and I really like their track

I hope that FD returns next year with even more drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
          Its cool for qualifying, but yeah it destroys potentially good tandem battles.
          It doesn't look like it's controlled when they are 10 yards away from the Apex.

Comment

http://www.justin.tv/driftstream/videos

Comment

I was able to catch the top 4 and final this morning. On the iphone it kept disconecting but on the computer it was great! That track looks awsome! Battles were ok ... Tanner getting close to Aasbo was cool. Cant believe how many people were there... Any numbers yet?

Comment

Awesome event. I hope this becomes a regular event. I bet next time the whole bowl will be filled with fans. But for reals Formula D, get rid of those damn mandatory clips and let the drivers run their tandem lines.

Comment

I liked what I saw, the bowl could have been a bit more challenging with an front clipping point at the apex. There was a ton of grip on that track, a surprise considering it's in a desert and sand is usually a problem.

I think that the final battle of Forsberg and Aasbo could have gone OMT, though as I feel they both made mistakes on their following runs but did well on their leading runs. It's my opinion and I can only imagine the viewpoint from the judging area.

Comment

Awesome event. I hope this becomes a regular event. I bet next time the whole bowl will be filled with fans. But for reals Formula D, get rid of those damn mandatory clips and let the drivers run their tandem lines.
                    Then how what or how would they judge both lines to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Fonseca View Post
                      Then how what or how would they judge both lines to?
                      Lose points for early apexing unless it results in a pass. Then the lead drivers will have to assess whether to late apex and risk being undertaken or lose points by taking a protective line. The following driver can shadow the lead drivers line or push for a pass. High risks high rewards. Why are we acting like we haven't watched how the Japanese do it?

I made my friend watch yesterday and told him this track is better than anything D1GP has run on. He said he thought the battles were boring and were just burnouts around the track. Some of it is his ignorance, some of it is his JDM fanboyism, but maybe a little bit of his opinion is true. Tandem should be a battle not a dance.

Comment

Lose points for early apexing unless it results in a pass. Then the lead drivers will have to assess whether to late apex and risk being undertaken or lose points by taking a protective line. The following driver can shadow the lead drivers line or push for a pass. High risks high rewards. Why are we acting like we haven't watched how the Japanese do it?

Interesting idea even though I don't really think D1GP ever penalized drivers in tandem for running an Ideal line or early apex. Personally I see D1 tandem competition as run the fastest line as possible without understeering or getting overtaken. Regardless the all or nothing type of attitude you propose is interesting!

I made my friend watch yesterday and told him this track is better than anything D1GP has run on. He said he thought the battles were boring and were just burnouts around the track. Some of it is his ignorance, some of it is his JDM fanboyism, but maybe a little bit of his opinion is true. Tandem should be a battle not a dance.
                        I agree to a certain extent but then again this is another factor of growing up watching option videos. I feel as if the judged portion of the course was a little too long. Its not often we get to this FD style competition on such a fast road course. We all know if D1 showed up they would only utilize maybe 2 turns while FD seemed to be really focused on utilizing turn 7(?). It really seemed like every pass was a learning process for the driver, not a whole lot of visible confidence in the runs overall.

Even though the live stream was top notch in quality the overall pace and content of the quality was questionable in my eyes. Its one thing when your there but its another thing when your on a computer or watching a TV show. Its frustrating to think that this still cant be translated into a 2 hour live broadcast on television. We all know FD can (but wont) chop up a weekends worth of material into a fairly entertaining 1 hour broadcast, but they gotta really figure out a way to produce this live without putting the casual watcher to sleep.

Sincerely Scared of US Rallycross

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                          Interesting idea even though I don't really think D1GP ever penalized drivers in tandem for running an Ideal line or early apex. Personally I see D1 tandem competition as run the fastest line as possible without understeering or getting overtaken. Regardless the all or nothing type of attitude you propose is interesting!
                          From what I can tell in D1 the lead driver gets the advantage if they can late apex and shut the door on the following driver. The risk is if the following driver manages to stick their nose past the leads front bumper without contact they get the advantage and the lead driver is penalized if they cause a collision.

Some of my favorite runs where in the old days when D1 ran on 4-6 turn courses and you could see a following driver late apex one corner while the lead ran a protective line, then set up an inside pass on the next corner because they carried more speed, or vise versa for the rare outside pass.

This type of action is sorely missed.

Comment

This is interesting and I can respect those viewpoints. I feel that a proper pass by the chase car can be very exciting.
                            However, what you are proposing is essentially "Freestyle" drifting with the chase car's sole object being to pass the lead car. Without a designated line to follow it becomes more of an exhibition than a competition and, therefore, nearly impossible to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by ontrack View Post
                              This is interesting and I can respect those viewpoints. I feel that a proper pass by the chase car can be very exciting.
                              However, what you are proposing is essentially "Freestyle" drifting with the chase car's sole object being to pass the lead car. Without a designated line to follow it becomes more of an exhibition than a competition and, therefore, nearly impossible to judge.
                              Not the only avenue to win. the chase car can follow closer, have more angle, display better throttle control (doesn't necessarily have to be more smoke) than the lead. The line judge should be scoring apex clipping and penalizing bad sportsmanship. If they allow more freedom for the drive line there is more variety each run. More variety= less boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X