Mitsu Starion Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitsu Starion Turbo

sold my cressida... now looking for a new car...(n i was inspired by chas's M30 idea... ) so looked into other cheap rwd cars n found this one... anyone had any personal experiences with driving it? did a search... still kinda cloudy bout it

here's a pic of a nice looking one...

hows the parts market for this car? (parts avalability)
    Last edited by delasoul909; 03-21-2004, 06:51 PM.

No personal experience, but I know of a few guys that drift them.

Comment

"looked into other cheap rwd cars "

ok every one, guess what I'm gonna say!

Comment

your going to say S13 right?

Comment

lol i think he was going more towards.. chevette?

Comment

I think he knows, did you think about S12s, I know of a few people that drift those, just about as rare as the starion. Well, at least around here starions are a pretty rare find and most of the s12s I see are in junk yards.

Comment

i've never actually seen a s12 in person... did they offer them here in the states?

Comment

didn't jackie chan drive a starion in one of his movies? and thne some mini get-away car was stored under the hood or something

Comment

Those Starions are pretty cool. I know a couple of guys here in Hawaii that mod them. Alot of the parts are interchangeable with (believe it or not) older tech domestic turbo stuff (Mustang SVO, GMC Syclone/Typhoon, etc). Alot of DIY stuff going on with this equipment, so I can see a lot of budget possibilities.

Comment

Yes he did. Jackie Chan was co-pilot in a black Starion with Jaws from James bond in the movie The Cannonball Run. He also drove an Evo in a movie too.

Dodge also brought out the same car, the Dodge Conquest. Same engine, layout, even the body was the same. They came in the TSI version which looks like what you posted. They also came sans bodykit. Like the one in Cannonball Run. They are getting really hard to find, my brother has one down at his shop right now that he sold for like 800 bucks. The body is great, silver paint, but has a blow turbo. Usually when you find them alot of the electronics are shot out. Those cars are from the "Knightrider days" is what I like to call em when everything had to be digital. Also the seats are usually beat down too. Too bad cause those are nice seats. Had a pair in my Toyota Van. They come with front mounts that alot of people use on Civic conversions for a cheap intercooler.

They aren't bad cars at all. Parts aren't that hard to come by. Companies make stuff for them. Thats the car Buscher pioneered Import Drag racing with. I think his company make alot of stuff for it. If not, you can find it pretty easy. They average from 1500 to 5000 depending on condition, miles etc.

Comment

hahaha.. damn ghost.. u know ur stuff...

thanks for the info guys... though i probably wont get my hands on one because i cant find any in the southern california area

Comment

Negative batman! Starion are all over the US. You just have to look. These are awsome handing cars. I drift one myself. (or atleast try to! ) Stock they came with FMIC and LSD. 4wheel disc brakes. Free mods will send one into the 13's 1/4 mi. As for handling, thats what they were built for. They have records all over that still stand. Another thing I love is there always a gutted one for sale so if you ever need body parts they are always there and cheap.
                        Go here if you wanna find one.
                        http://www.starquestclub.com

If you have any ?'s about them Feel free to contact me!

Comment

If you are looking for a "cheap" project I would advise staying away from the StarQuest. Honestly, I love these cars to no end, but if you ever plan on going very extreme with the mods you will need to spend alot!

For one thing they run on 2 injectors stock, so if you want a lage snail under the hood you would need to upgrade to an injector kit to allow enough fuel (or just spend a crap load on huge injectors). These cars also have alot of head problems. I can't recall what the cause was, but they are known for killing heads. There are alot of parts avaliable for them, but the best/cheapest ones will be home made. there is no such thing as a production performance (this doesn't mean stuff like coils, or turbo timers) part for the StarQuest...and the prices reflect it.

Again, I love thses cars. I say go for it, as long as you are only wanting a few extra ponies...the RWD...and a car that most people have never heard of, or can't remember.

If you decide to get one, PM me and I'll send you a few links for shops that specialize in StarQuests.

Comment

Yes, These arent high horsepower cars. They are torque monsters. Which is more important in drifting than horsepower. I cant lie about the injection it is poor design but can be fine tuned with out upgrading the system. Like what I have is an AFC on my injectors in the mixer housing and than 2 550cc in the runners at the Y splits. At 250whp your talking over 300tq! Expensive if you jump in not knowing where to get the parts like me, I overspent by a long shot. But now I know where to get parts. Which is why I said to get ahold of me. Please god stay away from TEP and EIPif you do it!

Comment

I had a starion back in 1996, man that was a great car... gobs of torque! Unfortunately I never got a chance to really get to know her, wrapped a telephone pole while chasing a FC at 2:00AM after it rained... damn i'm an idiot. Thank god for beefy side bolsters and having the window down!

I definetly miss that car

Comment

Working...
                              X