My E brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My E brake

You could say Im new to drifting, and I've heard many people say that the best way to start is with your E brake. Well, mine almost doesn't work. There is no button and the only way to set it, is to pull it up, and manually set the little metal piece on the gear wheel for it to hold. When I yank on it, even going like 15mph, it makes a nasty, almost-but-not- quite grinding noise. I have no idea. BTW its in an 85 Celica GTS. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

personally.. i used the e-brake for awhile... kinda helped me get used to my car... since u cant use ur e-brake... find a big empty lot... practice transfering weight... then try to feint... i found that to be the next easiest way after e-braking

Comment

are your rear drums O.K, they aren't used as much for braking so people don't notice problems as often, the last time I did my breaks both shoes in the rear drums were cracked, and I had no clue,

Comment

It seems like it's time to check the brakes. I'm suprised about the grinding noise cause it should make that same noise under normal braking...same brakes are used.

Comment

the LSD's make a cracking/cranking noise when its time to change it or even the gear fluids.... my guess its time for a new LSD but if it was the LSD it would still be making the noise even if the e brake is off ...soo u better go have ur car checked.... i think it costs like 100-200 to change the e brake thingy or w/e it is sorry i dont know that much about e brakes ahah..

Comment

I replaced my e-break thingy for $30 when I snapped the cable

Comment

Well, I have 4 wheel disc brakes, all GTS have those in 85, GTs had a solid rear axle, rear drums. Its not so much a grinding, like the pads/rotors would make. More of a vibrant rumble. A buddy of mine told me it may be the cable. When I can, Im gonna take it up to my school shop, get it on a lift, and open up the rear drums, to see if they are rather too loose, or dragging. At any rate, I need to get it fixed.

Comment

How do you have 4 wheel disc brakes, and rear drums at the same time?

First, the button is uneeded in a drift, because you just need to pull up quickly to initaite the drift, thats why drift turn knobs where built.

+-------------------{ }
                - -----(------+
                +-------------------{ }

That if, correctly displayed is the basic layout of a E-brake. To replace the cables, you should remove from the 3 way connection back. usually the cables will not be messed up before that point, ******( IDEA )******, the same thing happened in my 86, youre cables my friend, have been broken from the connection. You will NEED to replace from the connection back.

Comment

So maybe the connection is broken before the split? Oh, and ALL cars with 4 wheel disc brakes have drums inside of the rotors in the rear. How else would you have an emergency brake?

Comment

Working...
                  X