PDA

View Full Version : drifting techniques

nuclear_turtle
07-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Im just wondering what type of drift techniques you guys and girls use. Or which one you all would like to be able to do. i found a website with drift techniques on them. I list them a little later me personally i want to do the kansei drift or whatever its called.

CrazyHawaiian
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
My favorite technique is the feint, but thats only because my previous setup was underpowered. I had to use weight transfer to kick the rear out. With my new setup my main technique will be a power over. I dont believe in pulling the handbrake or clutch kicking (basically anything that locks the rear). They are good techniques to use but they cause too much stress on the drivetrain causing pre-mature wear and parts break faster. Maybe if I ever get sponsored then I wouldnt care about breaking parts, but for now everything comes out of my pocket (and my time) so I do care.

josh18_2k
07-03-2003, 04:37 PM
for learning, or getting started or whatever, feint seems to be the easiest. the slide is very gradual and easy to catch. same with the e brake. the clutch kick is a bit more violent (swings the *Censored**Censored**Censored* out faster), and in the rain is pretty hard to catch (in my car at least... or maybe i just suck :P)

no power over in my lil N/A Fc3S :(

nuclear_turtle
07-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Well which would be good for my car, I might be getting an S13 or an 86 corolla. Which would be good for those cars?

josh18_2k
07-04-2003, 08:56 AM
i first started drifting (on dry ground) by feinting. probably cause i was too scared to do anything else. then came ebrake. after taht i started messing with clutch kick. i dont know if feint is more/less efective on 86/240sx - they are more front heavy than the rx7. i'd say go ebrake in the dry- its surprisingly easy to control (i thought i was gonna spin all crazy, but no)
in rain, i power over, and maybe ebrake. thats about it. im still not good enough to catch a clutch kick before it spins, and feinting=understeer.
theres my two cents. and yes, ts probably only worth about two cents. :) have a nice day.

NismoPwr
07-04-2003, 11:27 AM
I wanna try all of the drift techniques to find out which one would be best for me and my S13 (in about 2 years :D ). But the ones I really wanna try are the Jump drift, Kansei Drift, and Power Over (when I get enough power in my car).

nuclear_turtle
07-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Im in a bit of a crisis here. I am a confused 15 year old who is crazy about cars and drifting and i just dont know what car i want. As i posted earlier that i was thinking about a 240sx or a corolla, well my little fragile mind has its mind set on a bunch of cars to choose from. tell me which one i should get.

options.

AE86 corolla, mr2 second gen, 180sx, 240sx, sileighty. I found a nissan skyline r32 GTS on the net. Its $2500 but in japan( i seriously doubt i get this one). i need help on this

ProjectBeater
07-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Kids... ::shakes his head:::p

NismoPwr
07-04-2003, 09:12 PM
180SX, Sil-Eighty, those cars are from Japan and you won't find them over here. You can convert a 93 240SX front end with S13 headlights and it'd be the look of the Sil-Eighty but that's it. 180SX were only called 180SX in Japan here in the US they're called 240SX (if you already haven't figured that out:rolleyes: ) the 180SX is basically the 89-93 240SX Fastback. Just a suggestion, do research on your car before you try to do any modifications, research as much as you can.

hell I'm 14 and I'm teaching a 15 year old hehe

nuclear_turtle
07-05-2003, 06:53 PM
lol i know. I know nothing about cars. U wouldnt know much about cars if you lived here, all that live here are a bunch of rednecks with mustangs, I have seen 2 civics with body kits here in the last 2 years(sad huh?) I dont even have ricers here! I guess thats what happens when you live in a town thats about 30ft bigger than a gas station. I was thinking of a second generaton MR2. They all sporty like!

nuclear_turtle
07-05-2003, 07:02 PM
I think i must be the only one on these forums that doesnt live in Cali, besides the Norway guy. Well and i only got into cars like 3 months ago

now if you excuse me i think i need a good cry!!!!(J/k)

CrazyHawaiian
07-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
[B]I have seen 2 civics with body kits here in the last 2 years(sad huh?) I dont even have ricers here!

Sounds pretty good to me! Ricers SUCK!!

MeGaN_DoRi_X
07-06-2003, 01:18 PM
i like tha faint drift also

Drift-Induced
07-06-2003, 02:42 PM
aw man! u guys are doing it alllll wroing, wasting gas, tires and energy!!! :(

just do wut i do....get yer friends to push u around da track!!! :D :p

Dori Star
07-08-2003, 10:28 PM
i prefer the breaking drift.. its fun... and it looks fun when you see a cars *Censored**Censored**Censored* end lifting up while coming around a corner around 40!!!

pcbootleger
07-09-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
I think i must be the only one on these forums that doesnt live in Cali, besides the Norway guy. Well and i only got into cars like 3 months ago

Another east coaster here. And I dont know what technique I use but I just turn kinda soon and basically floor it making the back end spin out but then correcting it by turning the steering wheel. Kind of a lame way to drift but it works.

uselessradio
07-09-2003, 09:18 AM
since we are talking about techniques and stuff can anyone give the illiterates like me a good website for info on how to drift and things like that? the velocity site isnt working or to me it isnt. anyways, i learned how to drift i think by looking at a website 3 years ago and ive been doing the same " go to second gear and rev and pull the clutch out" kinda deal but i never really learned names of techniques that you guys talk about.

pcbootleger
07-09-2003, 02:29 PM
http://www.driftclub.com/techniques.htm that has a lot of info for the newbie drifters

uselessradio
07-09-2003, 03:38 PM
hey thanks for that website dude. so whats the best way a beginner should properly drift?

emission
07-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Braking Drift, I do this every moring on my way home from work at 2 am! off ramps are cool

myk
07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
damm dudes, i have been drfiting as long as i can remember(only 15) and i never knew that there were technices like that i mean, i used to take the keys to any one of my parents' cars when they werent home and take corners at high speeds till the everything would slip outa place then keep on the gas while counter steering(all in old boaty cars, and all in dirt, i lived on a farm) i have never heard of anything like that though and no one i know has,lol*thinks back to yesteryear* i took out one of my friends drifting in alphalpha fields in my old boat and i remember him screaming were ganna role*lol
wow thanx for the great insite on the sport that i am headed into
i never knew my free time had a title such as drifting
-myk_

DoriftuEvo
07-14-2003, 09:52 PM
When I had my BMW it was generally feint. I tried a clutch kick once and spun out, so no more of that for a while. Since my engine blew up, all I have is a ff nissan sentra. I tried an e-brake slide the first day I drove it and the rear wheel broke off. I have to get another real car.

Bustadouglass
07-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I guess my favorite is the power-over. But its the easiest when you have a turbo miata that is 2100lbs. Franky iv never tried anything else.. well maybe the manji thing but I dont think I tried?

JonnySlick
07-23-2003, 05:56 AM
ok, so i'm new and still learning and suck a lot....but last night my buddy (w/ his na FC) and I (w/ my weak mx-5) went out to practice last night....we practiced for 3 hrs. it was great and i figured out how to clutch kick, which was hella' scary at first, but it's not that bad IMO. it is violent though and kicks my little na out fast. so right now that's the main tech. i've been practicing and figuring out (since my e-brake is not working the best right now..need to fix this weekend).

anyways, i still can't bring myself to feint...to me that seems harder to control and perform than the clutch kick. maybe that's just because of my little miata platform? or it could just be me. last night was the first time i have really ever gone out and "drifted"....i sucked bad, but it was fun learning anyways. i love the clutch kick though, any ideas on how to feint better or bring myself to do it?

later.

Onevia S13
07-23-2003, 06:06 AM
Feint, in my opinion, is by far the easiest technique out there. Real easy to do Jonny, just before you enter a corner, give a quick turn tword the outside of the corner and then spin the wheel back in the direction of the turn. This will help the car to rotate, you can do it when you are either on the gas or on the brake, although I find it easier to do when I am at low/partial throttle, and then when the back starts to slide, I get on the gas a bit to bring the rear around and to adjust the way the car is going to come out of the drift. Thats it, you can use the ebake to elongate the slide and for last second direction changes, but otherwise, its up to you to polish the technique to your needs and to what feels right to you.

DropTopDrifter
07-23-2003, 07:49 AM
I use the scandinavian flick (feint/inertia) with combination of shift lock (see posted vid in the pics. forum). I was not aware that the shift lock is that difficult... i guess its because it's how i learned to drift and have been doing it. I also use trail braking in combination with shift lock. Only lately have i been using the p-brake... its very hard to catch it at the right moment.

I want to get into getting sideways well before a turn.

Hell...i just like having fun.

J-BloodAE86
07-23-2003, 08:54 AM
my fav is a combination of multiple styles. I put the clutch in, feint a little, cut back in, (pull the handbrake depending on angle of turn and speed), let out the clutch, and countersteer. This is in a '85 AE86, which needs alot to break traction due to not alot of power

marshun
07-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by emission
Braking Drift, I do this every moring on my way home from work at 2 am! off ramps are cool

e braking right? braking drifts are nuts. i hope yer not tellin a newbie to try braking drifts. :P

J-BloodAE86
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
If the car is set up right, braking drifts are easy, but the level of hardness varies alot from car to car and depends on the brakes and pads bieng used, so with stock brake and stock suspension fuh-ged-a-bout-ih

DropTopDrifter
07-23-2003, 02:37 PM
brake drift = trail braking ????:confused: :confused:

JonnySlick
07-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
my fav is a combination of multiple styles. I put the clutch in, feint a little, cut back in, (pull the handbrake depending on angle of turn and speed), let out the clutch, and countersteer. This is in a '85 AE86, which needs alot to break traction due to not alot of power

yeah, that's more similar to what i was doing in my roadster....kinda' flick the wheel to upset the chasis, pop the clutch and yank turn inwards and stand on it....

i thought it worked well, but did seem to be hard on the car, of course that could just be my skill level (or lack there of).

i'm gonna' try my best to get the feint down by next week (or at least the mechanism of it).

323idrifter
07-25-2003, 11:55 AM
call me crazy but i clutch kick the bmw. i think its easier for me cuz thats how i learning to do it. im prolly gonna mess up the transmission so im thinking of switching to faint drifting. i also wouldnt mind trying the kansei drift. sounds fun.

JonnySlick
07-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 323idrifter
call me crazy but i clutch kick. i think its easier for me cuz thats how i learning to do it. im thinking of switching to faint drifting. sounds fun.

same here bro.

marshun
07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
If the car is set up right, braking drifts are easy, but the level of hardness varies alot from car to car and depends on the brakes and pads bieng used, so with stock brake and stock suspension fuh-ged-a-bout-ih

of course i totally forgot. i was just thinkin about braking drifts in this old *Censored**Censored**Censored* corolla. haha. the car is pretty damn light and the braking drifts are incredibly violent. i have 3 friends that never want to ride in the car ever again :P

JonnySlick
07-25-2003, 08:45 PM
anyone want to give me a run down on brake drifting?

J-BloodAE86
07-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by marshun
of course i totally forgot. i was just thinkin about braking drifts in this old *Censored**Censored**Censored* corolla. haha. the car is pretty damn light and the braking drifts are incredibly violent. i have 3 friends that never want to ride in the car ever again :P

hahah, gotta love those things!

323idrifter
07-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by JonnySlick
im a clutch kicker (and u are too) but i think that the braking drift is done by doing heavy braking before the turn causing momentum to shift forward. with all of the weight in the front u initiate the loss of traction in the rear by accelerating (assuming u have a rwd car). u might wanna faint a little (thats just a suggestion) then steer towards the turn and countersteer and adjust acceleration as u go along. from what ive heard its easier to catch than a clutch kick so u shouldnt have too much of a problem. but hey, if there are the real brake drifters out there feel free to correct me.

emission
07-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Faint Drift- this is performed by rocking the car towards the opposite direction of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. (note: this is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering)

tried it out today, spin outs at 80mph under that im cool bettween 50 to 60.:D

emission
07-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JonnySlick

Braking Drift- this is performed by braking before a corner while starting to turn in, vary the brake petal until loss of grip is obtained and then balance the over steer through steering and throttle motions

marshun
07-26-2003, 01:25 AM
i remember this one video clip and it was an FD i think... huge crazy lookin braking drift.