older supras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older supras

im looking for a car but my budget is pretty low, i prolly only have like 5,000 tomps that i can spend, and i really want a goodlooking fast car, i was thinking like an old mustang, a supra, or maybe an older rx7. any suggestions? how are the 85-89 supras for performance?

thanks a lot

yea man but iam only hjigh school
    and my auto teacher is selling his 87 spura i think for 2gs candian, it has a little rust on the fenders and the sun ruf is missing but real nice

Comment

Any of the options you mentioned would be pretty good, depending on your definition of cheap. You also have to consider how cheap insurance, upkeep and whatnot for your car will be. I don't know how good your are with mechanics and but keep in mind if you are to get a rx7 that the maintenance will differ with the rotary engine. Sorry to sound like a broken record if you already heard this. Just want to be sure you're thinking about it!

Comment

Re: older supras

Originally posted by quick3000gt
        im looking for a car but my budget is pretty low, i prolly only have like 5,000 tomps that i can spend, and i really want a goodlooking fast car, i was thinking like an old mustang, a supra, or maybe an older rx7. any suggestions? how are the 85-89 supras for performance?

thanks a lot
        I drive an 82 supra its a nice car but hard to find parts for especially if you want to add performance options. If you go with a Supra dont go with anything older than 87. The 87 was the beginning of the MKIII Supras. They had turbos as an option. The 7m engine is proven and reliable. In the 90s when they switched to the MKIV supras they went to the 2JZ turbo engine which with the right setup could exceed 1000HP. The MKIVs 6 speed manual transmission is quirky and not alot of places know how to work on them it seems. You can get some good stuff for MKIIIs and even more for MKIVs. With a 5k budget you can get a really nice nissan 240sx and they have alot of parts options. rx7s....nice cars but I dont know alot about them....hope this helps. I love my MkII Supra, the 5M engine is reliable but not alot of HP stock..145HP but tuneable if you really know what your doing or dont mind buying parts from specialty dealers like www.rabidchimp.com

Comment

we used to drift an '88 supra. it's a nice car. we loved it. til we blew the headgasket. lol. but it's only problem is its kinda heavy. i'd suggest it. but i guess all supras are probly kinda heavy.

Comment

thanks for the replys, im looking for somethign with power, doesnt nececarily have to be something thats a great drifter. i found some older supras, for around 3000, not too bad, but i was also looking for somehting that looks nice too, maybe something that i could throw some ground effects on or soemthing. i was thinking about the 3000gt but i need somehtign for snow too. and i know none of thse cars are going to be all that great in the bad weather. i was thinking about going with a awd 3000gt, i found this one http://www.bargainnews.com/BNO/photo...TheDealer=4190

and its awd, do u think this will make a big differance in the way it will behave in the snow? my parents have the 3000gt sl and its a pos in the snow.

thanks

Comment

ya AWD makes ALL the difference in snow. lol. better traction and control compared to FF's and FR's. the 3000GT is good but it's still kinda heavy. =\

Comment

5000 is big budget for a drifting car, If your looking for raw power in a drift vehichle try www.powerslideways.com they drift domestic iron over there, and have a Drift Project camaro. those guys visit this site so they would be able to help you with anything you need im sure.

Rx-7s are also capable of making big power number, even NA Although your not going to see the torque band you would on a camaro or mustang.

240sx are also fine drifters and can make big power numbers, with a aftermarket turbo kit or motor swap. Something to consider only because you can do that and buy the car for your 5000 dollar budget if your careful.

Anyways have fun with it And remember drifting is more about skill, but i understand the need to have a drifter that can hold its own in a few different areas.

Comment

Originally posted by quick3000gt
                  thanks for the replys, im looking for somethign with power, doesnt nececarily have to be something thats a great drifter. i found some older supras, for around 3000, not too bad, but i was also looking for somehting that looks nice too, maybe something that i could throw some ground effects on or soemthing. i was thinking about the 3000gt but i need somehtign for snow too. and i know none of thse cars are going to be all that great in the bad weather. i was thinking about going with a awd 3000gt, i found this one http://www.bargainnews.com/BNO/photo...TheDealer=4190

and its awd, do u think this will make a big differance in the way it will behave in the snow? my parents have the 3000gt sl and its a pos in the snow.

thanks
                  Personally i would advoid the GTO, now if you justlove them, then go for it. Especialy if you can make it a RWD vehichle, im not sure how they work.

But there girth and there AWD will make it difficult to learn on.

Of course dirfting is about fun, do whatever gives you the most enjoyment. I know i love the S13 240sx, i did before i ever liked drifitng, even if they made horrid drifting cars i think i would sport one.

Comment

I would strongly urge you NOT to get a 3000gt.
                    If you want a big heavy AWD sports car, you'd be better off with a SVX.

Look around and find yourself a good condition Legacy Turbo - CT is the nexus of the universe for Subarus! You can get an AWD Turbo (160hp stock, 400+ potential) for $4 or $5k and pocket the rest for future modifications/maintenence.

You will really hate yourself during the CT winters if the only car you have to get to school or work is RWD (or FWD for that matter).

I know from experience that AWD makes an immeasurable difference in snoe compared to rear or even front wheel drive.

-MR

Comment

thanks, im thinking im gonna try to get a mustang. but the thought of awd sounds really nice, going with a subaru wrx would be nice. how are those for drift cars? 4cyl and i hear they put out almost 300hp

Comment

cheap... AWD... Turbo..... 1988-89 mazda 323 GTX.... you can get an ok one for 1500 and a really nice one for 3000.

also you could always get a subie 2.5rs... non-turbo but not that expensive AWD

from all i have heard and read drifting an AWD car while not impossible is really really hard to do... you have have a big set of cajones because you need more speed and power to get all four spinning vs. RWD... so if you wanna get a drift car go for something RWD... if you wanna get a car thats good in the new and still hella fun get a GTX... if you buying a car you have to look into certain factors

what kinda car do you WANT
                        what kinda car do you NEED
                        how much can you spend
                        how much can you spend for upkeep when you break stuff
                        how much can you spend for insurance

those last to are important... getting a nice car of your dreams is great but if you never have enough money to keep it on the road and insured than whats the point

TF

Comment

Working...
                        X