Beginner Drift Car Setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Drift Car Setup.

So you've bought you car, and have got used to the feel of it. You want to get more control in the car, and make it feel more sporty. Well there are a few parts you can get that will help your car stick better, and make yu more comfortable while drifting. The first thing i would suggest is making sure the car is in good running condition. Make sure all the belts are good, check all the fluids and do an oil change. If the airfilter is dirty, get a new one, i would suggest buying a MAF plate and cone filter. Most of the cars you guys will be tuning are higher miles, so they probably need a little tlc. Next thing your going to need to check is the brakes, make sure pads have life left and the rotors are not warped. If they are, go to Napa and buy pads. You dont need a 150 dollar set of endless or PMU pads, and with napa its lifetime replacement free.

So now your car is running like new. Your ready for your first mods. If you have the cash, spring for a set of coilovers, if not, get a set of springs (Tanabe GF 170@SA). You can also get sturt bars on ebay for cheap. Ive seen a 3 piece kit (front, rear, lower rear) go for around 70. Now your suspension is alot tighter. I would get used to this before doing any more suspension mods.

Now if this is your second car, or you dont do to much street driving, id strip out evertying you can. Get a heat gun and a putty knife and remove all the sound deading. I think its like 50+ pounds on an S13.

Next thing I would suggest is getting a good bucket seat. You can get a decent one for under 200, and the mounts and everything for about 70. You dont need harnesses right away, but id get them anyway. This well help keep you planted in the turns, and instead of fighting to hold on, you can concentrate on the driving at hand.

The next mod is going to be an LSD. These are pretty expensive. Sometimes you can find used ones, but make sure if you go the used route you get it rebuilt.

Now your car is ready to drift. Spend the rest of the money on tires, your going to need them.

Hope this little right up helps, now stop asking how to build a drift car!

If you have any questions, you can PM me or any mod.

www.young-dong.tk

Don't forget to check all your bushings. If your car is old chances are nobodys checked them since it left the factory so there proably worn out.

"Its all about balance" as a certin someone has been know to say. If your gonna get some coilovers then get them for both the front and the back. If you change only one end of the car your handleing could be worse then it was before. And harder springs aren't always better. Your spring rate is almost directly related to the weight of your car. So if you go to heavy it can cause problems.

Comment

Cool, mind if i link this on my drifting 101 thread?

Comment

No, go ahead.

Comment

Great job chas and nissanguy, really as a somewhat newbie drifter it's really nice to see some more seasoned people taking the time to help those of us who are still starting out. I've been around motorsports ever since i used to race moto x when i was around 10-14, and i've tried a few before comming to drifting, and i must say that drifting has been the most accepting of new people that i have seen. heck a lot of auto x people don't even give new guys a fair shake, yeah i'm new, but hey at some point in everyone's life they were new to something and had questions, it's great to see you guys answering them rather than blindly calling us all newbs and trashing on us. Thanks again guys

Comment

That's probably because all other forms of motorsports, have competition as their main reason for being. Where as with drifting, just having fun, and learning is the main reason for being.

Comment

true, however when you are new to a form of competition, say rally, it would be nice if when you asked a question such as "i'm currently looking for a shop that will install a roll cage into my car, and i figured asking the drivers who race would be the best place to start" and you get a response such as "use the search feature", or my favorite, "why don't you do us all a favor and trade your car in buy a honda and be happy" it kind of turns you off of the sport really fast, i mean i know i'm young (20) and i don't know a lot yet, but i learn things fairly quickly and was just asking simple questions, that's basically the reason i think it's so cool that the more experienced people here take their time to write these great articles

Comment

Chas, those are just about perfect suggestions in my eyes. I would just like to point out how he never mentioned any engine modifications or swaps. Just making sure it runs very well.

Comment

You left one VERY important thing out chas.

The TEAM YOUNG DONG stiker will give you and instant 10 rwhp and is a must for any new drifter.

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem
                    You left one VERY important thing out chas.

The TEAM YOUNG DONG stiker will give you and instant 10 rwhp and is a must for any new drifter.
                    How could you leave out something that important Chas...

Comment

So for a beginner he shouldn't opt for a shock/spring setup like kyb AGX with some RSR springs or sportsline springs?...

would u recommened a coilover setup to a beginner who only drifts in the weekend ...... or should i go the shock/spring setup......i dont know what to choose

there is a k-sport goin on in a group buy now for cheaps around 680 and a shock/spring setup would cost me like 450-550.....i was wondering which would be a better investment........i drive my car hard once in a while since there is no events here.......anyone?

Comment

i would say get the shock spring combo action

Comment

Originally posted by DRFT_DREAM
                          So for a beginner he shouldn't opt for a shock/spring setup like kyb AGX with some RSR springs or sportsline springs?...

would u recommened a coilover setup to a beginner who only drifts in the weekend ...... or should i go the shock/spring setup......i dont know what to choose
                          Well it depends. If you think about it, coilovers are only a few hundred more, and offer alot more adjustment and fine tuning. Its up to you, but i would save some more and opt for the coilover. It really depends on how often you drift, and how serious you are. You can get tein basic for around 650

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon X
                            How could you leave out something that important Chas...
                            I am so sorry. I feel disgraced

Comment

Tein Basic are only height adjustable right?

Are they a good setup?

Comment

Working...
                              X