240sx vs mx-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240sx vs mx-5

ok so now that i've sold my 'stang last week i've been looking for my next ride...which i was thinking was gonna' be a 240sx. but everyone i call is either sold or in piss-poor condition and i don't feel like restoring a car just to make it drift worthy....i want the basics to be in check before i start. anyway there is this guy that live on my street that sales used miatas for 2K to 4K bucks in average to good condition. so what u think guys and gal? stick w/ the 240sx quest or go with a miata?
    240sx
    49.51%
    mx-5 miata
    50.49%

Poo

Ok, I forget the drive type of a roadster, FF or FR? anyway, I think its an FR but not sure, but yea, its what ever you like better. I'll stick with my baby @_@ -clings to his sil80

Comment

I don't have any first-hand experience with Miatas, but from what I've seen and heard, they're really really light-weight, suspension geometry is good, and because it's a relatively short car, it's easy to get the nose to turn. Also, at autocross, the top car is arguably a Miata. BTW, yes, it is FR.

On the other hand, 240sx is a good car too. I like my s14 a lot... I hope to have it forever.

Comment

well I dont know which one is better for performance or bang for your buck but I think if I were to choose one for drifting, I would buy a 240sx. You have to remember, when you crash and flip over, which do you have more of a chance of surviving in? Sure, maybe you wont ever crash but for safety reasons I would choose the 240.

Comment

yeah, but w/ a good roll bar/cage...the miata should be just as safe i would think. i'm still just not sure. i'm really having a hard time finding the 240sx that i like...decisions, decisions. i've driven both...and to me they both feel easy to drive. the miata is very tight inside, but i'm small so that's not a big deal really.....i don't know which to pick. LOL. we'll see i guess.

Comment

240sx...

gee, i wonder who voted for the miata... (jm)

Comment

Giving up on finding a 240sx is not the kind of thing you should be doing! To find the car you truely like it will take some time and patience. It although, will be well worth it in the end. Of your two choices I am sure there is one you would rather have...Continue your serch...or buy a Miata!

Comment

Moo

There is kind of one draw back, and I know this might sound weird but yea, people who buy miatas are usually middle aged women making a scene with their midlife crisis, or homosexual men.....I dont think either of them drift so your pretty much clear if you put a sticker that reads "I kick Girly *Censored**Censored**Censored*" =)
                Just get what you want -cough 240sx- and be done with it!

Comment

D'OH !!!!!

well yeah i got the corky ramano, middle aged female, homosexual feeling car. i know i know....but after driving a 240 and the mx-5....i just like the go-kart feel to the miata. call me what you will. anyway, just got back from trial shake down and did 3 doughnuts with a little 15/20 foot psudeo-drift at the end. was fun. like the little car and the rear steps out easy..but not snap happy like my stang was. it's fun...just gotta' make it a little more ballsey....and less corky. wish me luck on that one. sorry to disappoint all you 240 fans, just wanted to be a little different.

Comment

::singing take on me:: until dooooooooooooooooooooooo....
                    dont key away, i dont know what, what to say but say it anyways.. today is another day to find you... hahaha

Comment

Well, i have a Miata and plenty exp. of driving on the edge with it. Absolutly astounding cars. You can make them grip like a shifter-cart or hang the azz waaaay out. I have mine set up right now with Koni adj. (80% stiff on the front 100% on rear), RacingBeat race springs, R-Speed towerbar and HardDog Hard-core roll bar (must have). Running 16" ADR GT-Sport wheels with 205/40/16 Kumho Ecsta 711's (suck for grip but good for slide). Ali need now is a good set of swaybars. I was lookign for a 240 before i found my Roadster, just didnt like the way the KA felt and also most Roadsters have LSD's... I got a Torsen and a 1.8L eng.... please tell me you got a 1.8L........

BTW see it at www.cardomain.com/id/droptopdrifter

Comment

no i got the 1.6...but the guy i got mine from only deals with miatas, and told me if i ever need anything he can get it for me...so i asked about the 1.8 and he said he could get a complete for like 400 bucks. but the reason i was looking at the 1.6 is that is seems the aftermarket caters more to that motor than the 1.8. how big of a difference is there in the two?

yeah i know what you mean though. i've only had my car two days and love it already. it handles great and is truly a sports car in the way the interior is layed out (even though it's not sports car fast). how you like the racing beat spring? i was planing on those myself.

Comment

ooo

What year is it?

Comment

OK, well, look at it this way.... My 1.8L with just i/e and timing advanced to 16-18* will run dead even with a 1.6 with either the Greddy turbo kit or the Jackson Racing SC. I have a friend with the JRSC kit on his 1.6 and we got out on the highway and ran even from 50-100. The 1.8 makes much more TQ then the 1.6. I drove a 1.6 with a Bosal cat-back and Jackson cold air intake and was disappointed (at the time i had my 91 RX-1 n/a), then i drove a 1.8 and was shocked by the difference. My Miata is faster then my RX-7 . Go drive a 1.8 and see how you like it.

90-93 rated @ 115hp (about 90-95 at the wheel)
                            94-95 rated @ 133hp (about 105 to the wheel )
                            96-97 rated @ 138hp (OBDII) ( about110-115 at the wheel)
                            98-present rated @ 142hp (about 120 at the wheel)

factory rating at the flywheel
                            I cant find TQ number though
                            this might help http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultima...=019703#000001 ... this goes on and on between the 1.6 guys and the 1.8 guys.

Comment

well i got a 92 1.6L for now. i'm gonna' be focusing on suspension, set-up, and sharpening my drifting/driving skills for now. like i said, when i nuke this motor i'm going to drop in the 1.8...for now i wanna' focus on set-up and learning technique, then add power later when i can afford it.

Comment

Working...
                              X