Drifting the MX-5 Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting the MX-5 Miata

I need some help figuring out if the Miata is a good choice to drift with. I will do some suspension modification and other mods but needed to know from fellow drifters if its a good choice. I have heard from miata owners that it can drift as well as FC or 240 since it has perfect weight distribution. Help me out!

indeed it is a driftable car, Probably does so very well. There are a few guys on here who drift miatas, one will be along soon to post some tips.

Comment

its very decent but takes a really good driver. The short wheelbase makes it real oversteery and unforgiving, but fun to throw around a track. you could probably give some positive caster and it might help you out a bit.

Comment

Yeah, because of the wheelbase, it's mad unstable. But coming in at 2200 lbs, who cares?? =P

Comment

i've been practicing in the miata, and i have to agree, the smaller wheelbase makes this thing spin happy. it's hard to rgain traction when you purposely lose it. it just takes a faste reaction time. I'm lookin for some 4x100 rims that are like 15x6.5 or15x6 so i can get more rubber on the ground. But it is driftable and i've done numerous power drift's and shift locks, but other's come a little bit harder. Just gotta practice, but it's possible and besides, if u can't drift it....grip it...the weight distribution and suspension are already awesome for grip driving. fun car to drive....no regrets so far...

Comment

thats my MX5... Its fun to throw it around with the top down...

I still have to practice my drifting skills though...

Comment

Yes, its similar to an 86

Comment

Originally posted by eric240
                its very decent but takes a really good driver. The short wheelbase makes it real oversteery and unforgiving, but fun to throw around a track. you could probably give some positive caster and it might help you out a bit.
                Ahh someone who knows what he is taking about. He is correct about the caster. I run 5 degrees of caster up front. 1 degree of negative up front and 1.7 in the rear. Oh yeah. just a hint of toe in on the rear too. Once you get used to drifting a Miata the only thing you will miss is the long side brake stuff. You just can’t get it to hang to long. I am currently getting mine ready for some smoky drifting action http://miata.cardomain.com/memberpage/149648/4

Comment

Hey I figured Id chime in,
                  I bought my first miata a month ago, after a few other drift cars (240sx with full sus, and a fc t2 with full sus and some tuning), and while its not quite as easy to hang the rear end out as the 240 it feels really neutral to me. the FC was so fun and even with the lack of power the miata is almost as easy as the FC. I will say this as you get better at feeling a cars limit its easier to drift anything. I bought my 240 and spun it out 7 times in the first month (its rained 7 times, hehe), The Fc I spun 4 times the first time I went out for a night of fun, because I didnt have the skills to deal with boost and drifting at first.
                  so worry less about everyones opinion of a good "drift car" and pick what you like and go.

I will say this, the miata is a convertable, its going to need new tops, you'll leave it open in the rain at least once, its going to get broken into eventually, so know that going in. no alarm is going to help, and dont plan on having a nice system, theres barely enough room for 2 backpacks in the trunk.

that being said Im happier with this car overall than anyother yet.

I havent spun out yet, nor have I had any control problems mid turn (other than the sh1t stock sus). and it help that on top of the soft sus its got decent pirelli's all around...

just as a side note:
                  Id say for the sub 2g drft car set I would look at
                  older rx7 (sa22)
                  older supra (2nd gen)
                  200sx (s12) a german friend of mine had one of these and it was so fun, it drifted so easy.
                  any old rwd toyta
                  Last edited by sid; 04-12-2004, 03:32 PM.

Comment

oh yeah mine is a dead stock 91 (1.6) with ps, ac

the ac is getting the axe and so is about 50lb of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X