Wake the Dragon ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake the Dragon ceremony

Okay people it is time for the yearly "Wake the Dragon" ceremony on Hway 129 beter known as Deals gap or the Dragon. This is a yearly thing that they put on up there to officially "Wake" up the most terrorizing road in the USA. For those of you who do not know of this road, it has 318 curves in 11 miles. It is dangerous with a capital DANGEROUS. Someone just died last weekend. But god is it fun. I would not suggest going up there this weekend for fun stuff but I would go up there to just check everything out.

The Dragon is located on Hway 129 from Tennessee to NC. Directions to it can be had at www.tailofthedragon.com
    Once again I stress that this is a VERY dangerous road and should only be atempted at high speed if you know it and are a superb driver. People die up there many times yearly. Hunters throw rocks at you, pour diesel fuel in the road and wildlife can get hairy. Not to mention other riders and autos. My advice to you, stay in your lane, pull over for faster vehicles and dont over extend yourself.

For the record though the time records are as follows.
    Fastest time for a bike is 9 min 48 secs
    Fastest time for an Auto is 10 mins 18 secs.

Both of these are held by the same man, and he drives an FD. 350 HP with full suspension and other goodies. He is an ex motorcycle rider and is one bad mofo.

So if you go, look for the Red FD and have a great time.

I would like to see an auto take the overall record. On a road that twisty, the exta stability of a car should be a major advantage.

Comment

OMG!
      Me like! me wanna go! he he.

Comment

after reading the warnings, it doesnt seem like the turns are wide enough to drift on

Comment

They are just as wide as any Japanese road, but in the daytime would be suicide. At night is the time to go cause there are zero houses up there so other than wildlife, its not too bad.

But Drifting on a public street would be illegal.

Comment

I didn't know that. Good looking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
              but Drifting on a public street would be illegal.
              lol, ironic cuz its kinda like Deal's Gap is "racketeering" record breakers which pretty much involves speeding.

BTW, have you "attacked the dragon" yet? It's gotta be awesome to drift it cause of the 11 miles of winding roads.

Comment

If you wanted to drift all of it, you better have a truckload of tires following you down road.

Comment

I've attacked it numerous times. Never Drifted it though. Hard enought gripping it at speed.

Comment

I chased a dragon once

Comment

I bit a dragon once

Comment

how many have died from the dragon?

EDIT:nvm i found out
                        Last edited by markeese180sx; 04-15-2004, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X