I hate ABS so much! lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate ABS so much! lol

Well, my new Subaru has ABS. I've been raised on non-abs, so I'm used to having the ability to lock up the tires if desired. Well, ABS is fine and all, but boy do I hate it on gravel. Never have I seen such an inability to stop. The looser the gravel, the more it likes not to brake. Mind you this is very unhelpful when braking hard into a corner. In fact I had a little ditch fun on one corner because of it. ....so...much...hatred...repress...rage...

Just thought I'd vent, lol. I'll e-mail Subaru later today as to me removing ABS(just take fuse out or something). I want to know if there's any other implications as to doing this?

I'd be careful about disabling it, you may void warranties by doing so, i know a lot of companies are quite touchy about that stuff

Comment

Void what? The fuse blew, lol. The abs light came on. I tapped the dash board but it didn't go out, though it was a glitch, yeah that's it, lol.

In reality, I don't see how it can possibly viod any warranties. Besides, the only warranty I have left is drivetrain. Full was 3 year/ 36k and that was gone when I bought it.

As long as the abs isn't tied into other computer controlled things there should be no problem. I'll have to see what Subaru says, but it's really annoying on gravel. It's not as bad as some first gen stuff I've driven, but locking up on gravel is a good thing, lol. Instead, it just wants the roll That helps...helps me go in a ditch, lol.

Anybody else diable ABS on their car?

Comment

this should help you out man http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...09scc_projwrx/

they disabled it in there project WRX, sport compact car that is. And have many of there project car articals online.

also how do you like the graphic?
        Attached Files

Comment

I like it. He needs a sign that says that though. Standing at a street corner, lol.

I read the article. I'll have to look into the radio shack switch trick. I like the on demand on/off option you get from that setup. I e-mailed Subaru just before this post about removing the abs fuses. I'll see what they say. I told them not to turn it into a "don't do this" type of reply but we'll see, lol.

Comment

With the cars rally heritage it probably wont be too surprising to them.

as for the graphic, i used the skyline only because i couldnt find one i had on hand with a scooby, also doesnt the skyline look awesome in those wantanabes?

Comment

have fun with it... i hate ABS too... wheres the fun in not being able to slide uncontollably headfirst into a dip when its raining? stupid ABS

Comment

^haha, only people who don't know how to drive, lol. I was raised on good old classic braking. I'm used to it, comfortable with it, and gosh darn it, I like it!

I'm one to lock up the tires. I actually prefer stopping that way, lol, even on ice. Ok, I don't do that all the time, but I have on many occations. Lock up, slide, car spins a little, counter steer, let of brake slightly, straighten, lock up and repeat. I'm quite well with knowing the braking threshold on various surfaces. After I get used to the car, I can come in hard to a corner just at the threshold where the tires just start skidding.

The ABS stuff scares me, lol. I'm not one to like computers controlling how I brake. I don't mind asphalt and they do decent on asphalt, but when the road gets loose and slippery, it's a whole nother world. That article that was posted even showed some brake times with and without the ABS. ABS was about 50% longer on loose gravel than without or with mudulation(ABS with you manipulating the braking as well, I think). I want the tires to dig in and really grab the road. I don't want ABS to vary how hard it's braking because it doesn't want to lock up the tires. That doesn't help me when I want to go from 65 to 40 on loose gravel in 100 feet while turning, not one bit, lol. It might or might not brake hard.

That switch thing is sounding nice though. I'll have to have a look at that some more later on.

Comment

Oh, I like the car. It's just the bum that could use a change. He needs to be holding a sign saying "Will Drift For Food." Maybe I could put that as my sig, lol.

Comment

yeah dude... i wanna feel the tires skidding across the pavement... when i felt the ABS at work is when i got scared... i was trying to lock em on purpoes cuz it had abs but obvioulsy it didnt work. it felt like it was grabbing the brakes and letting go super fast. hellz nah sucka.that aint coo.

Comment

I don't mind the feel of it. I just don't like how it varies. On a consistant surface, it's fine. It does its job fine. However, on gravel or a varying surface, it gets confused, perhaps confused is the wrong word. It becomes inconsistant itself. Braking varies as much as the surface. When I want to come into a corner and brake hard to initiate a drift, it doesn't help me when it desides that it doesn't cause it's on loose gravel.

On anything loose, it has almost no stopping power cause it never wants to make the tires stop. It doesn't understand that the tire will dig into the ground a little and grab more.

Really, the ABS system needs to get more advanced and needs be able to know what surface its on and how to maximize the braking efficiency on that particular surface. Maybe they could use speed sensors in conjunction with the abs to determine if rolling or locked is more effective. It can instantly adjust, but it could also learn over time and adapt to the roads you drive on as well as your driving style. Maybe they could have a feature where you could force it to lock up if you wanted to, say a double press or something, press hard, release, and press hard again to disable ABS until you let up.

I'm kind of concerned how it will handle winter when I start driving on patches of ice, snow, and open road. I don't know how it will handle that.

One good thing I can say is it's a whole lot better than some first gen stuff.

Comment

do anyone of you know how much ABS system weigh?
                        If I'm going to buy a car in future it's likely the car has ABS (if it's not a TVR)
                        and in that case I will kill the ABS but don't want extra weight of the system which I don't use.
                        is it easy to remove entire( or most of the weight of) ABS system?
                        my parents' car has ABS and I hate it.

Comment

Well yesterday, I pulled out the fuses for the ABS(one for ABS and one for cruise control(rear abs )). Ah, so much nicer. I can actually brake, lol. Hard corner braking takes a little countersteering, but I actually like it that way. The brake balance seems well enough. I'd have to drive it more and push it a little to get more aquanted with not having ABS. I also want to see how it handles pavement without ABS as well...in time.

The only pavement around here require speeds in the 80-100mph range for good drifting. I'm going to have to find some tighter pavement roads cause I have no intentions of drifting at those speeds both for safety and laws reguarding over 85mph driving. I've always got my gravel though.

I'm still getting used to the higher corner speeds coming from my earlier heavy cars. Most corners are 10-20 mph faster, even on pretty crappy tires.

Comment

Yes, ABS suxors

i dont like abs either, i learned on an oldschool car. ABS spoils a driver. ....WARRANTIES? WE DONT NEED NO WARRANTIES. LOL
                            Last edited by SleepyEyed240; 04-21-2004, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
                              Well yesterday, I pulled out the fuses for the ABS(one for ABS and one for cruise control(rear abs )). Ah, so much nicer. I can actually brake, lol. Hard corner braking takes a little countersteering, but I actually like it that way. The brake balance seems well enough. I'd have to drive it more and push it a little to get more aquanted with not having ABS. I also want to see how it handles pavement without ABS as well...in time.

The only pavement around here require speeds in the 80-100mph range for good drifting. I'm going to have to find some tighter pavement roads cause I have no intentions of drifting at those speeds both for safety and laws reguarding over 85mph driving. I've always got my gravel though.

I'm still getting used to the higher corner speeds coming from my earlier heavy cars. Most corners are 10-20 mph faster, even on pretty crappy tires.
                              Excellent man, glad to hear the good news.

Comment

Working...
                              X