93 Mazda Rx7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Mazda Rx7

I have just purchased a 93 rx7. I was wondering if this is a good drift car. I will admit that I got into drifting through initial D, then I started downloading clips off the internet, but must of the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* they do is stupid. I dunno wanna learn on the streets, there is a track nearby. What mods should I do to the 7, to make it a better drift car also.

It's a good drift car. Light weight and really good balance. Start with suspension and differential

Comment

the engines a pain in the arse The 7's a gold digging *bleep*!!!

Comment

If you don't know anything about the 7 then i suggest you better start saving some money. . . . don't worry about the drifting mod you better worry about the mod that will keep it running. . . the 7 is not like any other, the 7 needs time and money thrown at it constantly. . . . especially the 93. . . ..

www.rx7club.com

you can learn alot from that web site. i own two rx7 an and fc and an fd. i don't drive the fd much i so don't mess with it much but the fc is just the same as the fd . . . . but you bought a great car so have fun with it. . . . .

Comment

Keep the oil changed, and do the reliability mods. You want have to vacum lines redone as they dry out quickly and get the Air Seperation tank replaced with a metal one. The car isnt as bad as these guys claim. Only special thing is be really anal about your maintnence especaily oil changes and the car will be fine. Befroe you mod then engine read up on rx7club though as there are some little things you need to know about or you'll blow the motor. The cars has its defects just as any other car, learn the defects and you will know what to and what not to do.

Statik

Comment

read up on the rx7forum... i'm BlackR1 on there if you ever need any help. I've had my FD for 3 years and its been a great experience. Always run into problems but thats part of rotary ownership...if you're a true enthusiast, you're in it for the long haul...

Comment

The FD is a great drift car. It can be setup to be very competitive. But it will be somewhat difficult to drift with at first if you do not have too much drift experience. The car handles very well and has a high level of adhesion before the car loses grip. But with higher speeds, it tends to rotate very easily sometimes too easiliy when pushed hard which will often result in a spin. The balance point on the car is fairly small compared to other "normal" drift cars. It is more difficult to hold larger drift angles and the weight transfer can be very abrupt if you are not careful. I think these characteristic usually apply to cars that have shorter wheelbases with 50/50 weight distributions which the FD has. 240sx's and AE86's have longer wheelbases and a lighter weight distribution in the rear than the FD's. Thus making those cars a little more predictable making it easiler to drift. But when you get used to the way the FD handles, it can be a very fun car to drift with.

One thing that is very important with seting up the car for drift use is the cooling. DON'T run a open air filter with the stock intercooler and hood because the air intake temps gets very high and you can dentonant. In drifting you are putting a heavy load on the motor because you are constantly appling throttle to continue drifting. And since you are spinning your wheels you are not moving fast enough for the incoming air to effectively cool down the radiator and intercooler thus the engine temps gets hot. I blew a motor drifting in the skidpad with that setup. Get a enclosed cold air intake box or just use the stock box with a drop in K& N. Get a better radiator and intercooler (with correct ecu management). I am currently running the Rotary Extreme V- Mount setup www.rotaryextreme.com and it runs so much cooler now. I highly recommend that kit if you want to do it right. A lot of highly tuned J-Spec cars are starting to run V-Mounts.

Calvin
              Red FD3S

Comment

If you are in the SoCal area, stop by Drift Day 7 at California Speedway's Parking lot on Sat. July 26. I'll be if you want advice on setup.

Calvin
                Red FD3S

Comment

oo

Yea, in the 93 there were a few recalls back the factory, and if i'm not mistaken one of them was the radiator. This and like the others said, the vac lines need to be replaced before you start revving that car and drifting it.

Comment

Working...
                  X