Something I've been wondering about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've been wondering about

What's the point of blurring out license plates? I guess it's understandable when there's pictures of cars doing illegal things on the streets. But I've even noticed when I watch things like the Discovery Channel they block out the plates on cars just sitting in parking lots or driving down the road. Why do they do that?

They're being paranoid. Because if you had the ability to track down cars based on the plates, well, yeah.

Comment

They aren't allowed to show them without the owners permission,the owner has the right not to have his plates shown on tv.It's like a SIN card for your car,but not quite(that's what the VIN is basiclly)
      Last edited by Feint; 04-17-2004, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Ah. I thought it would have had something to do with safety. Oh well.

Comment

Well,yes.That's why they can't show them without permission of some sort.Someone could be a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* and file false reports.

Comment

The main concern is having someone track down your fancy car and stealing it cause you didn't erase your plate. I assume there's enough resources online to allow a person to track down a car by the license plate. That's the main concern. Second would probably be that false report stuff, things to mess with people.

Now the odd thing is your plate is essentially public information. All day, every day, your car sits outside in plain view of everyone that walks by, drives by, or is in any vacinity close enough to read the plate. I guess paranoia is the biggest thing. I personally don't care myself. The illegal thing might be your biggest concern. Illegal footage could be used against you.

Comment

Working...
            X