Getting drifting on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting drifting on TV

I can't believe how the media is completely ignoring drifting here in the states. Sure we get 5-minute segments on the news or a car show every now and then but nothing like the coverage Nascar or F1. I mean the D1 goes on at Irwindale (which speed channel covers midget races there all the time) but yet no coverage on speed.

I know the D1 will be a tough cookie to crack simply because from what I've heard Option wants big $$ for the TV rights. Hopefully Formula D will have a better shot of getting on TV for 2 reasons.
    1. Formula D runs the same weekend as the SCCA GT and Touring car races. This means that Speed will already have the cameras and equipment there to televise it.
    2. The SCCA has gotten coverage from Speed Channel for years, so it may be a little cheaper to get a Formula D contract than to have a contract with Option.

So whatta you guys think it's gonna take for drifting to get on tv, and how long do you think it'll be before we see some drifting on the tube?

Simply put, it's just not a known thing in the US. Even WRC isn't covered on normal stations. I've only seen WRC on Speed channel, nowhere else. That's not small time by any means. We've got Nascar and that's about it for mainstream. F1 and Cart stuff isn't even mainstream, local channels and stuff I mean. In time...

The big money could be a large deterant. If the networks/cable companies don't know if they can even sell the stuff, why would they invest lots of money for broadcast time.

Comment

F1,CART,IRL ARE on national basic channels such as NBC,CBS,etc sometimes.Even that trans-am series(i think thats the name, the one with the field mainly consisting of jaguars and mustangs and panoz's) is on national tv during the summer sometimes too.

Comment

i would love to see drifting on TV...
        i seen that trans am series... its pretty cool. they usually habe porches too dont they?

Comment

I want more Drifting like for example...Put the D1 series on pay per view!!!! that would be a great idea....also more JGTC i only see it like once a year......

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfromda909
            i would love to see drifting on TV...
            i seen that trans am series... its pretty cool. they usually habe porches too dont they?
            You may mean the GRAND-AM series.Trans am doesnt have porsches i dont think.Grand-am,american le mans, le mans, speed world challenge and rolex sports car series are the only "big name" televised series that have porsches in them i believe.

Comment

I dont think that the media is ignoring drifting, it's jus tthat there needs to be content. Nascar and F1 are on a higher frequency that 1 D1 event per year and FD has not event had one evnet yet.

However, Formula D is creating a television show based around drifting this year. A press release was made at SEMA and more developments will come about soon.

As far as Speed event in conjunction with FD, there will be no TV for that one because it is not a Speed WC official round and was not part of the sponsorship package with Speed TV.

In reference to JGCT on TV, the reaosn it has not been broadcast in more frequency is simply because it is the lowest rated program on Speed TV. Since tha tis the case ther eis not use for them to broadcast it more. Unfortunately JGCT followers like us are a small niche. Maybe that will change in the future

Comment

i hope drifting stays of tv personally. all we need is everyone and their mom wanting a 240 or ae86 and all the touge spots being busts

Comment

i agree. I think that drifting should stay underground in a way. I don't mean to say that we should ignore it but let's not make it some mainstream fast and furious crap.

Comment

id rather go to the event! but i think it might be cool

Comment

i prefer drifting on the streets not in the open TV..dont like tha idea of drifting as a comercial sh!T... peace

Comment

I think D1 and drifting in general should stay off TV!

Comment

Working...
                        X