Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone notice the changes in drift comps

hey whats up everyone
    well i was looking around at different sites inquiring on drift comps, i couldnt help but notice the recent changes in regulations, i.e. driftday, not to put them down, but they are requiring so many new things that put beginners and people who just dont have money down the hole, pretty much im talking about the fact that it isnow required a roll cage and driving suit, i remember during the summer looking at the site and seeing that the regulations didnt even mention those things, i dont mean to knock it because its there to keep us safe and to keep us drifting but i find it hard, because i dont even have my car yet and its gonna be hard enough getting the money for this stuff, i just find that it kinda has hurt the expierence, now its a matter of getting all these things that alot of people dont have the money for...
    thats just my opinion, does anyone share the same view that i have, i just find that it makes it harder for me to drift legally

that would be the norm in any compatition. Practice days are different Im sure and you would be alright. If you are just getting a car though you will not be competing on the first day. Take it slow and lern to drive first. Them move to the track to get some experiance.

Remember you need to crawl before you walk.

Comment

roll cages are big boy toys, dont worry about till you really need em.

Comment

Problem is if he wants to go to an amature drift practice day like the 'Drift days' he is now required alot of safety equipment, hell i remember seeing the requirement for "2 spare tires" and going i have a fullsize spare and a donut.. but *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*.

On top of the 100 dollar admission fee. It can be costly for a new guy, just to get to practice once a month.

The more drift events organized though the eaiser this will be.

Comment

what kind of a cage if you don't mind me asking. Could you get away with just a roll bar or do you need door bars and all that kind of stuff that makes a car unpractical for everyday driving.

Comment

see this is why I said that there shouldnt be so many events. Track days get turned into events, and make them unpractical to the guys that want to learn. And the safety gear for practice you guys running these events need to take notice.

Most tracks in Japan have a 80 to 100 track fee. this fee is good from morn till night. Some tracks have night drifting to.

You sighn a waiver just like at the skate park and then you go in. There are rules and stuff for track use.

You are responsible for your own safty as well as not being a hazzard to others.

preaty simple. Yes you need decent tires and a helmit and of corse a seat belt .

What I wanna know is when you guys running these tracks are going to get it right and stop being meenies

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem

What I wanna know is when you guys running these tracks are going to get it right and stop being meenies
              ...right on man...

SOBE -

Comment

well the thing is that im beginning and i want to learn, but this is putting the strain on me even more to just go out into the streets, i mean im not gonna have the money for the roll cage/bar nomex suit or any of that other stuff, i mean if thats the way it is, i wont even have money for my upgrades, i find it terrible, its hard, seeing as im graduating high school and am going to college and not working, it jsut makes it hard and it angers me, i understand the safety issue but is all of this really necessary, considering its just practice around a course and not really even a competition, correct me if im wrong but all of that stuff is still needed even in the drift day drift clinics

Comment

the problem in america is that people are so ready to sue at the drop of a hat. if we could just sign a waiver that 100% made sure we couldnt sue then we could probably have much more affordable practice days more often.

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem

when people in the US stop sueing other people for dumb *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*...then and maybe then...

Comment

the sueing issue is the reason the moderators have to be so upity about people talking about illegal drifting. The fact is it goes on so much more then its talked about. And cost is the issue.

One thing is who practices once a month? most guys go out at least once a week, often times more depending on there tire funds.

Its alot easier to find a parkinglot or winding road or something then it is to go to a track. And most guys do both anyways. Im not trying to tell you guys to do illegal things, but i am trying to be candad about the nature of these things.

Safety is always a concern though, But to me illegal drifting on the street is less of an issue of your safety, You choose to do it, you choose to risk your life and car and any legal ramifications that may come of it. I am far more worried about hitting some pedestrian or other car, maybe one you didnt see originally that wandered into the area.

These are good reasons for affordable regular track days, For example, the drag strip here is opened 2 nights a week to kids to keep them from drag racing on the streets. We have a road course out in buttonwillow, but if you want to drift it you are limited to a handful of drift events, of course then you have to pay alot more then the 15 bucks it cost to drag race all night.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

Safety is always a concern though, But to me illegal drifting on the street is less of an issue of your safety, You choose to do it, you choose to risk your life and car and any legal ramifications that may come of it. I am far more worried about hitting some pedestrian or other car, maybe one you didnt see originally that wandered into the area.

see around me the #1 deturrant to drifting is the deer, i swear they're around every corner

Comment

Yeah I think that kinda sucks too. But if all the drivers speak up, then I'm sure the event coordinators will listen. I remember when the Drift Showoff came to Hawaii they told everyone they have to leave their windows up. It was so damn hot, people were sweating so bad and getting uncomfortable. Then the drivers decided that they wouldnt take it anymore. Every driver in the competition put their windows down, and that was that. Either the event coordinators can disqualify everyone and ruin the event, or they can realize that maybe the rule wasnt working out and they need to authorize a change. What I would do if I were you is get a group of drifters ogether that do not have the funds for this new safety equipment. As a group, approach the event coordinators and ask them if there is anything they can do for the guys that dont have all the hardcore safety equipment. Maybe allow them to drift a different portion of the track, or require a speed limit. If you have a group of people backing this up, the event coordinators will have to listen (or else they will lose out on business). You do pay to use the track, but on the other end of the spectrum the event coordinators pay to rent the track too. They front the money and if they dont make it back at the event then they lose out. So every driver (and his entry fee) is very important to the event coordinators. I can totally feel your pain. When I first started drifting on the track, there were NO safety requirements. You did not even need a helmet. Now our events require a number of safety devices, but in our case I think this is a good idea. We drift near walls and stuff at high speeds, so safety is top priority. Quite a few guys are running more safety equipment than required, and in a situation where collisions can occur, I think this is a very good idea. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Im pretty sure for the drift day events it says you only need a roll cage for soft top/convertibles.Thats what i read for the requirements.

Comment

this is what I cant understand. There is a need for more open track time, and during the week and what not what kind of money do these tracks make. Nothing im sure. So you have a goods or service, and have a cusomer why not sell the goods. Also its nice every one got on the bandwagon and made drag strips accesable for that sport where the hell is ours.
                              We got the law on our heels and are willing to pay to use a ficility but do you think anyone would help a brutha out.

Yea we got tracks in Japan and many use them we also do ILLIGAL drifting as well. But for the most part its way up in the mountains where there id no traffic but us and we have or own safty rules.

Going to meets will not improve your skill it will kill your desire to succeed because you will br comprting against others that will be better on ocasion you will want more wheel time and do one of two things.

Illigaly practice or give up on the sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X