Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brakes suck!

I just wanted to rant

I cant even lock up my brakes anywhich way I try.

Going 80 and stomping the brake does nothing, nor does the E-Brake handle

Whats wrong here?

I feel a little feedback when i press the gas pedal hard enough, but the car doesnt stop like it should.

The only way I can drift is pretty much turning the steering wheel quick enough and shifting the weight and getting the tires spinning, but its hard to control it.

is there a quick fix to my braking problem, or shall I just wait and upgrade everything before I attempt any more drifting

perhaps some more information is needed before we can help you out.

Comment

lol, that would probably be helpful huh

well, its an S13 fastback, '93 with about 150k on the chassis.

I bought the car with about 140k on the chassis, and the brakes came as they were

the pads have plenty of meat on them, and the rotors seem ok. Though i felt the edge of the rotor and it seems to be a small ridge there.

Looks like the stock Brake master cylinder is still there, as well as the original brake lines.

It just seems like the brakes are only working to about 60-75% to their normal capacity, thats all I'm trying to say.

Like i said earlier, I cant ebrake nor mash on the brake pedal to lock anything up.

Comment

well the same e brake deal with my bro. we tighten it a grip but it hardly ever locks. he has to be going like 50 to slide his ride and even then it hestates on the ebrake. anyone know y? he has an S13 with 116000 miles on it. he has upgraded rotors and pads too. he can stop and lock his brakes if he brakes way heavy. the ebrake is the only problem

Comment

what i was thinking that it was just an old brake master cylinder, it is probably just not pumping enough fluid to each of the corners any more

and i guess the ebrake just needs to be tightened up. I havnt really gotten around to check anything since I dont drive the car a whole lot

any suggestions of tips before I do so would be great

Comment

well anyway most newer cars have self adjusters on the brakes which in most cases adjust the brakes by reversing and hitting the brake pedal try that a few times maybe ur brakes are just outa adjustment.

im not sure how it is on the s13's but i know that most cars have self adjusters not sure if itll help but its worth a shot.

wait crap s13's have 4 wheel discs dont they? in that case i dont think they need to be adjusted.

how is the fluid level?
            maybe a faulty mastercylinder when at a stop pump the pedal a few times then mash it as far as itll go if after a lil bit it sinks alot the master cylinder maybe bypassing.

some of the more car savy guys out there read this over tell me if im mistaken cause well all the auto i know is from shop class and messin around im only 17 so its not my fault.

hope this helps at all

Comment

Brake fluid level is fine.

I havnt bled the brakes yet to see if there is air in the system, so that may be a possibility.

There brake pedal feels fine and firm everytime though.

Comment

well im stumped

Comment

what kind of tires do you have?

Unless there really really sticky you should be able to lock the brakes up just by stomping down on them and keeping them locked up until you stop. Its not a ABS car is it?

My friend's master cylender on his honda was messed up, he had barly any braking force on the damn thing, but got it fixed and it worked fine.

These are all things to check out. even with glazed over pads and old rotors you should be able to lock the wheels up fine.

Comment

rebuild the master cylinder you have a small amount blowing by the main seel. as for the side break. You probobly need to chainge the cable between the handle and the wire tree under the car. they stretch out

Comment

well whatta bout the e-brake? lets say it isnt stretched out cuz it locks sometimes and doesnt lock other times.....tricky tricky!

Comment

Originally posted by Unclever Name
                        well whatta bout the e-brake? lets say it isnt stretched out cuz it locks sometimes and doesnt lock other times.....tricky tricky!
                        if the cable is cold its shorter than when its hot. Also you need to back the rear caliper piston into the caliper. You do this by turning it. Then pull the handle a couple of times while backing up. Then go to the handle and readjust the cable there. You can also drop a small spacer in between the nut and the flage to pick up some slack.

Comment

well the cable seems pretty tight.....cuz u only have to lift it like 5 or 6 inches till it stops and it is impossible to pull. the cable on the ebrake was tightend like half ways. before it owuld move like 8 or 9 inches before it could be pulled no more. so ur saying to put it in reverse then pull the brake a couple of times? if i am getting u right....sorry if i seem retarded....lol

Comment

Some e-brake models have self adjusting "star adjuster" just pop it in reverse, and pull the e-bake a few hard times untill you feel it tighting.

Im installing my rotors next week I'll be happy to post pics of my brake system.

Comment

Originally posted by driftxtreem
                              if the cable is cold its shorter than when its hot. Also you need to back the rear caliper piston into the caliper. You do this by turning it. Then pull the handle a couple of times while backing up. Then go to the handle and readjust the cable there. You can also drop a small spacer in between the nut and the flage to pick up some slack.
                              Listen to this man he is the man. he knows his stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X