First Drift Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Drift Car

I'm looking to purchasing one of the following drift cars: Mazda RX7 FC, Toyota AE86, or a Nissan 240SX. I'm on limited budget since I work at the local subways. I'm rather mechanically declined so you all should take that into consideration. I know that being mechaninally declined might take the RX7 out of the lineup but can you get the rotary engines serviced at Mazda dealers? Thanks for your help.(P.S. I did search but my results were inconclusive)

Re: First Drift Car

Originally posted by Drifter520
    I know that being mechaninally declined might take the RX7 out of the lineup but can you get the rotary engines serviced at Mazda dealers? Thanks for your help.(P.S. I did search but my results were inconclusive)

Dude they aren't that scary. Just take care of it. (aka don't run it without oil, don't let it heat up, etc...)

Comment

Yea I was reading some posts on rx7.com about getting the RX7 for your first car and they were strongly discouraging it so yea. Also, what suspension components should be upgraded for a beginners drift car?

Comment

not to good for begginers... not tha easy to drift (like initial D) a lot of care....for tha FC

Comment

Ok so between the AE86 and the 240SX, which one is a better beginners car?

Comment

ill say the 240 couse its more common get stuff (aftermarket sh!t)

Comment

Depends on how you drive.

Comment

Honestly, Your three choices, they are good cars. But due to your situation i am going to sugest the S13, i drive a s13 my self, or i did until the motor blew up (190k... 50k in a year, most of it at red line.. im hard on cars)
                I will explain why. The Rx-7 is a good car, and honestly a Rotary engine is much simpler then a piston engine i wouldnt let that scare you. You will end up doing work your self on it, which means you will learn. However they arent as easy to learn on as the S13, they arent as forgiving.

The AE86 Low power, good fuel economy, it would seem like the perfect solution to your drift problem, Alas, most of these cars are nearly 20 years old, and Toyota didnt make the bodys to last, most guys complain these are money pits. And though the same could be said about any drift car. It wont be the easiest way to go on a budget. Not to mention the inflated prices due to there popularity.

Now the S13, last production year was 94. which makes them between 15 and 10 years old. They are sturdy, tough little suckers. The motors have a nice thick power band, but not much power. They are very forgiving and have a very very smooth transistion to understeer. (note, all of these vehichles will understeer at the limit stock) its easy to find S13s, (especialy hatchbacks) in good condition, with relatively low miles, i wouldnt let a 120k s13 scare you, but the lower miles the better.

Now the seven is still a good choice if you really want one, but i have to say the S13 is a good all around drift car, good beginner car, good intermediate car, good advanced car. It can grow with you.

In the end of the day get whatever car you are happiest with. even test drive as many as possible. Drifting is about your self, your style, your wants, your techniques, so get the car you want. And most importantly have fun.. be safe too. but if your not having fun then whats the point?

Comment

Ok I think I will go for the S13 now. Thank you for the help everyone.

Comment

dude...just get what YOU like...

Comment

i've owned a AE86 (sr5) and a S13 (1991 hatchback). both are very nice cars. the sr5 was way underpowered but pretty fun. the S13 had good power and cool powerband, but my suspension was shot, i got the car from a drifter.... so the lsd was bad and it had body roll like a mofo.... it was a good powered car tho. but that was coming from a 13 second starion.... so it felt weak as hell...
                      the S13 drives VERY nice. i've driven a few and they all handle very well, have NICE powerband and a good amount of torque. that KA24DE is a VERY nice motor. my girlfriend has one in her frontier hahaha. the 1991 had a 6900 rpm redline.... not too low if you ask me. just stay away from super hiccup i mean hicas. haha. i want an rx7 now from working on junpower's and driving it... those things are awesome! and very easy to work on

Comment

It's posts like these that make it how obvious how badly this board needs a better FAQ...

To start drifting you just need A car - S13 is the Honda Civic of drifting in just about every way.

AE86 is a car that is all about setup.

RX-7 has many advantages and disadvantages other than the Rotary engine (traling arm rear suspension, strut front, etc).

-MR

Comment

Actualy we havent had a post like this scence i posted my stickies on how to get started... well i take that back, i think there may of been one more. But the numbers have dropped signifigantly. However his question was abit more detailed then "I wAn 2 gEt N 2 dOrIfTo JdM sTiLe WaT 2 BuY?" so i really didnt see it as an issue.

PS: took me a solid minute to type that line...

Comment

Yeah dude, but think that your tutorials need to be somewhere a bit more visible than in your sig - lie maybe in a "read this first" sticky thread...

The are great articles though...

-MR

Comment

go get an evo..ahhaha

Comment

Working...
                              X