What happened to drag racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to drag racing?

Today I was looking through some old Sport Compact Car magazines of mine and I thought it was weird how everything was drag racing this and show car that compared to how everything now is so different. Now it's all about JDM and drifting. I don't know. I just thought it was weird. I guess the main offenders (Super Street, Import Tuner and the rest of the ricer magazines) ran out of stupid stuff and Sport Compact Car had no choice but to follow suit.

its because they are all primeida magazines... so they all cover the same stuff... kinda ghey but whatever... its just whatever the current trend is

Comment

Sport Compact Car still covers drag,look at it a little harder.They even have a monthly column written by Christian Raido,who happens to be a pro drag racer.Sport Compact Car is probably the most well-rounded mag out.They cover from drifting to rally and SCCA events.Yes drifting seems to be under the lime light,but it's probably the only Primedia mag that isn't stuck on it like Super Street and Import Tuner,which were covering show and shine crap only a year ago.

Comment

Yeah. I didn't mean they don't cover it at all any more, I just meant it's not as prevalent. I've had a subscription to Sport Compact Car for quite a while now. I just thought it was interesting how everything's changed so drastically.

Comment

you know i just went to HIN in san mateo with a couple friends and to be honest i didnt see many drift cars or even drift style for that matter. maybe it hasnt reached here as much as so cal but i was suprised.

Comment

who cares what happened to it this is all about drifting

Comment

I got my 240 for drag, so I guess I'm still doing it. I got tired of horrible launching with the FWD(maybe I just suck). I just happen to come by here while doing some research on Nissans. I'm semi-interested in this whole drift thing. I do have hells lot more fun driving down turns than going super fast in straightaways. Even though grip driving is where it's at(IMO of course), learning to control your car in a skid is always a good skill. Maybe I'll dedicate this car for drift and learn that crap. I have a beater '86 Ranger we use for taking loads. Maybe I'll find a Merkur or something and drop a 2.3L turbo in that.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintDrift
                I got tired of horrible launching with the FWD(maybe I just suck).
                you mean RWD. =P

Comment

Nah, I was talking about my VW.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintDrift
                    Nah, I was talking about my VW.
                    ah.

i see somebody's been watching 4th stage. that 2nd episode was so great. LMAO. (refering to your avatar)

Comment

this is my very first post so be gentle.

The reason I am now a fan of drifting and this website is two-fold.(1) In drag racing everybody is so divided. Import / USDM / all motor / top fuel / blah blah. I like draging alot, along with every other kind of racing out there(2) but mostly I like cars. And the fact that a 200hp 240 can run with a 500hp viper is cool. You will never see that on the 1320.

Also while we are talking car trends, I think drifting will make domestic cars popular again. If you really want to drift alot then its more practical to have a fox body then a jdm s13 sr20 conversion that you have to wait 6 months for parts when a headlamp shorts out. Plus from what I see D1 guys are starting to like american cars, and we all know that lots of people in the "car scene" will do absolutly anything to be a little more like the Japanese. But im not flaming, whatever your into is cool with me.

Comment

Drag racing is still around, its just more people leaned toward the drift scene,

But i love them both. And go to as many events as possible drag or drift.

Comment

Turbo still covers drag racing in great detail. They have some drifting articals too, but drifting is popular in the import car scene, It would be hard to ignore it.

As for Import Tuner suddenly being about the drift. Thats hard to say. They have had a few drift cars over the last few months, all nice and shiny ones, but they are still strongly about show cars with a minor in drag racing. Thats cool and all. Whatever your into.

Of course over the last 6 months of import tuner i've recieved 2 magazines that i thought where crap. maybe one or two good articals, but some stupid crap threw the rest of it. I dont mean riced out rides. I mean like a professional editor referring to the MX-5 has a Homosexual car. he actually used *Censored**Censored**Censored* but the censor blocks it here.

Things like the responses to letters. One genltemen had a legitament complaint, and offered it politely only to, basicly be 'flamed' by the guys who respond.

Very immature.

That said, there have been several good magazines from them lately. I esecially like the drifting, a nice looking nissan on the front or a artical on drifting and i will purchase the magazine, if its heavy on car show and audio and that kind of stuff, well ill leave that to our show and shine friends. no biggy.

As for sport compact car, they have thier project siliva and an artical on the major drift events, but i can hardly say they are all about the drift. They like the JDM scene over there. i dont blame them, its a cool

But they have an equal amount of drag racing. And ALOT of rally racing. I dont blame them, its a cool scene once again..

They are very well rounded, i like SCC alot. Dave Coleman is my idol. good rag.

as for the rest, i like to pick up turbo, turbo is all about making power. Who doesnt like that?

And if there are any other magazines that catch my eye that month i pick them up, like GRM or so.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                            Turbo still covers drag racing in great detail. They have some drifting articals too, but drifting is popular in the import car scene, It would be hard to ignore it.

As for Import Tuner suddenly being about the drift. Thats hard to say. They have had a few drift cars over the last few months, all nice and shiny ones, but they are still strongly about show cars with a minor in drag racing. Thats cool and all. Whatever your into.

Of course over the last 6 months of import tuner i've recieved 2 magazines that i thought where crap. maybe one or two good articals, but some stupid crap threw the rest of it. I dont mean riced out rides. I mean like a professional editor referring to the MX-5 has a Homosexual car. he actually used *Censored**Censored**Censored* but the censor blocks it here.

Things like the responses to letters. One genltemen had a legitament complaint, and offered it politely only to, basicly be 'flamed' by the guys who respond.

Very immature.

That said, there have been several good magazines from them lately. I esecially like the drifting, a nice looking nissan on the front or a artical on drifting and i will purchase the magazine, if its heavy on car show and audio and that kind of stuff, well ill leave that to our show and shine friends. no biggy.

As for sport compact car, they have thier project siliva and an artical on the major drift events, but i can hardly say they are all about the drift. They like the JDM scene over there. i dont blame them, its a cool

But they have an equal amount of drag racing. And ALOT of rally racing. I dont blame them, its a cool scene once again..

They are very well rounded, i like SCC alot. Dave Coleman is my idol. good rag.

as for the rest, i like to pick up turbo, turbo is all about making power. Who doesnt like that?

And if there are any other magazines that catch my eye that month i pick them up, like GRM or so.
                            I agree with you, but I do favor Super Street over other Magzines by primedia.

Comment

Drag Racing is Ok...........
                              actually no i take that back i think drag racing as of now is [EDITED]
                              anybody can go in a straight line. it doesn't take any skill to do that
                              but hey before anybody starts to flame me for what i said
                              the only thing about drag that takes skill is accomplishing a fast time and be able to shift fast. or whatever.
                              Drifting on the other hand takes skill in all areas
                              I don't really hate Drag Racing but right now what can i say is ..........drifting is the new phenomenon
                              but hey thats just my opinion so don't be
                              [EDITED]

Comment

Working...
                              X