Drifting Reviewed In Proformance Racing Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting Reviewed In Proformance Racing Industry

I'm not sure if any of you are involved in the racing world or get the magizene Profromance Racing Industry. It's a magizene that covers all forms of racing, at a race team ower, shop owner and machineist point of view. Kinda like a newspaper for the serious racing industry.

The magizene had a sport compact drag special in the May 04 issue. and "Special Report on Drifting". The article its self was very serious and directly to the point. Expaling where it came from, how it broke track attendace records. How many manufacters are taking advantage of this good sport. How much this sport is a untapped mine. and then had the rule's or how its won.

A few quotes...

"What I personally think is missing from drifting in the US is nobody's racing." -Rob Smith RPS Automotive.

Smith has talked to sanctioning bodies with a more race orientened verison, containing dirt and rally style jumps.

"I think American's race enthusiasts like the competitive edge of somone winning" - Mike Pickering A.C.T.

"Anytime anything blows up that big that quickly, it's sort of a bubble effect, and that bubble can burst"- Chris Moltz Apexi

My personal reaction to this article is joy, Finally the serious racer's are realizing drifting and reconizing it as a motorsport. I dont like the idea of people trying to change it, and I agree with one of the men quoted, This sport my get sold to the masses too quickly causeing too much over exposer and a fall in the drifting quailty.

I see drifting in the US in the future being...total crap. But I don't care I'll keep doing it cause I love it. I didn't put around $8.5k of mods into my Camaro because I wanted to get money back. I did it because I love drifting. And want to become the best I can at it. Most people consider me to be crazy or stupid for spending so much money. When I don't really even get anything back for it. I drift because its fun as hell. Hopefully there will be a lot of people who think like this also in the future. Because dirt...jumping...etc...hmmm...isnt that just truck racing that already exists?
    Last edited by REVLIMIT; 05-05-2004, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, I dont really feel too good about the USA people trying to turn drifting into a race. Might as well grip roadrace if they are trying to make the sport time based (seems thats where they're trying to take it). The reason I like drifting so much is because the person with the fastest car (aka most money) does not always win. Drifting is a drivers sport. Skill and practice gets you a win. Drifting can focus on the driver without having extreme regulations on equipment like NASCAR. If they try to turn drifting into some kind of timed sport with jumps and stuff I can guarantee you I wont participate. Thats not drifting.

Comment

When people write these articals they only see drifting as the Extreme motorsports! Its just like skateboarding or motocross or whatever, And they figure that us, the drifters, need to keep getting more Xtreme! drink our moutain dew, and drive our SUV and get XTREME! so they see its natural progression being just like other XTREME forms of motorsports. So to them, why not jumps and do it in dirts, and in stadiums! yeah! Xtreme!!!

However those of us who love drifting. we love the drifting, not the Xtreme crap that comes with it. Drifting really isnt about the pros, its about the amatures guys like us, we like the pros and watch them. but its not ABOUT them.

I will always drive and drift. If they try to push this Xtreme crap, i just wont have anything to do with it. they will get the point.

Comment

I'm glad that people are taking Drifting seriously now, but if they try to make drifting have dirt and rally jumps then let the hardcore drifters keep drifting while all these new kids jump on the "EXTREME drifting" franchise. it might even be better for us, because it would keep real drifting more low-profile and leave it alone. I honestly just hope it doesn't turn into another like drag race scene that was caused by The Fast and the Furious. If drifting becomes like that, we will still be triumphant, because "Drifting has a rice filter, it's called skill."

Comment

how about weights on rails or something so when we go off the jumps we can do car kickflips or something

Comment

Millen was quoted in an interview saying he wanted to add jumps and trucks to drifting.

That might be cool on its own, but drifting is drifting. Not stadium cross, and not rally either.

Comment

"Drifting has a rice filter, it's called skill." I like that one

I don't mind seeing more talk about drifting, but leave it to America to find a way to profit from it. Yay for capitalism, lol. I hope this doesn't turn into an "Extreme" kind of thing. That's all we need, more punk kids doing stupid stuff they saw on TV. All the ricer drag racers will want to turn into ricer drifters. oh buy, looking forward to that At least natural selection will take its course and weed out the stupid ones. Too bad cops and parents will come down and demand the goverment to do something about it...in a classic Simpsons quote, "Think of the children."

As long as there are back roads with no traffic and no cops, drifting will survive. My main worry about commercializing this type of thing is that a new set of "rules" will evolve and change the way people will think about drifting. It will turn into more of a specticle with points for stupid things and people will think that's the way it was always done. Now as far as the "racing" form of drifting, I don't actually mind that. I don't mind being competitive. Judging it and keeping it as drifting would be a harder issue. Since grip is faster, the natural progression is back to grip driving. How could you race competitively while being forced to drift. Drift how much? Every corner? what's fair and what's cheating?

Haha, I laugh about the jumps thing. Yeah, sounds like baja or some WRC Extra Stage stuff. Sure it's entertaining, but for the love of God, don't call it drift! We'll see what happens...

Comment

Making a course that favors drifting would seem to be the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing it being a race rather than ice skating, but whatever.

Comment

"Drifting has a rice filter, it's called skill."
                    word.... Also, There are only so many 240's and FC/FD's to go around and the driving effort will deter most people. To some degree, driftings future is in the hands of the promoters. It seems that promotors have taking an angle to have either tack it on something old, such as carshows, or go for the core, drift clinics. I hope the existing promotors don' t take a "Extreme" angle to generate interest from the masses. In the end, the drivers, us, will decide what to support. I glad that many creditable organization, NASA & SCCA, have decided to recognize drifting, this will give us the space and time needed to go have fun, safely. None of those orgs. have sponsered importdrag...well because it does take much skill to drag...I hope to see more drifting events focusing on drifting, such as autocross events, where it's just a bunch of people having a good time.

Comment

I like the reaction this caused, seeing that most of the people of this fourm has mature quite abit.

Alot of the stuff said was also in the article. The extreme driving is simlar to the idea they cast it as.

Comment

Working...
                      X