Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTS VS GTV VS GT-Apex???

i got a question:
    What is the difference between a Corolla/Trueno GT-S, a GTV and a GT-Apex. also there are different names for the 83-85 and 86-87 (i think those are the right numbers), what are they??. I'm so confused and such a noob to truenos please help!

iam a noob when it comes to Truenos .
    so i cant help...lol

Comment

Re: GTS VS GTV VS GT-Apex???

Originally posted by yarzan
      i got a question:
      also there are different names for the 83-85 and 86-87 (i think those are the right numbers)
      i think Gt-s = twin cam. never heard of a GT-v though.
      when people refer to "hachi roku" what they realy mean is eight-six, as in it was made in the year 86.
      just a few numbers learned from japanese class
      83 - hachi san
      84 - hachi yon
      85 - hachi go
      86 - hachi roku
      87 - hachi nana
      but i'm prettysure you guys aleardy know how to count in japnaese

Comment

Re: Re: GTS VS GTV VS GT-Apex???

Originally posted by Ripper
        when people refer to "hachi roku" what they realy mean is eight-six, as in it was made in the year 86.
        83 - hachi san
        84 - hachi yon
        85 - hachi go
        86 - hachi roku
        87 - hachi nana

I do not know any japanese at all. and I would like to know the differences to. some one with knowledge of Tureno plz post.

Comment

Early model AE86 is Zenki, later model is Kouki, there's minor difference between the two.

-Bruce

Comment

I thought Hachi Roku meant 86 as in the chassis code, AE86, not the year it was made?

Comment

Oh dear god this thread...

yes the Domestic muscle car fan is right (for some reason???) hachi Roku is the chassis code. Toyota uses this system (and forgive me if im off slightly, i am a nissan guy after all) for there chassis codes.

AE86

AE = Car family.. the E seems to be the important one in these codes. because the corrolla line WAS TE for a while.

8 = generational code. There was a 8 series, a 9 series a 10 series. also a 6 series and a few others.

6 = the trim level, 6 refers to the GT-Apex and such that had the 4age engine and a LSD.

So the AE85 was a trim level with a sucky engine. Also our "86" GT-S in america was a AE88, or so i've been told. all of these cars are generally referred to as "86s"

another example is the MR2 whos chassis code was

AW11 for the first generation, also a AW10 but it had a weaker engine

SW20 as you can see this was the W body , with a S this time (dont ask me why) and 2 generation 0 trim level

SW30, is the new MR-S same deal.

86 does not refer to the year. And there were coupes as well as hatchbacks. there are alot of good information on this site about the 86, including several of these types of threads, the search button is your friend.

Comment

Yay for domestics!! LOL!!

Comment

my chassis code is actually AE88

Comment

Re: Re: GTS VS GTV VS GT-Apex???

Originally posted by Ripper
                    83 - hachi san
                    84 - hachi yon
                    85 - hachi go
                    86 - hachi roku
                    87 - hachi nana
                    No. When people say hachiroku, they're refering to the chassis code, no the damn year.

AE86
                    AE85

The GTV is another JDM model Trueno, not sure what the difference is from GT-Apex though.

Comment

"Is ACD gonna have to choke a b1tch?"

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                        Oh dear god this thread...

yes the Domestic muscle car fan is right (for some reason???) hachi Roku is the chassis code. Toyota uses this system (and forgive me if im off slightly, i am a nissan guy after all) for there chassis codes.

AE86

AE = Car family.. the E seems to be the important one in these codes. because the corrolla line WAS TE for a while.

8 = generational code. There was a 8 series, a 9 series a 10 series. also a 6 series and a few others.

6 = the trim level, 6 refers to the GT-Apex and such that had the 4age engine and a LSD.

So the AE85 was a trim level with a sucky engine. Also our "86" GT-S in america was a AE88, or so i've been told. all of these cars are generally referred to as "86s"

another example is the MR2 whos chassis code was

AW11 for the first generation, also a AW10 but it had a weaker engine

SW20 as you can see this was the W body , with a S this time (dont ask me why) and 2 generation 0 trim level

SW30, is the new MR-S same deal.

86 does not refer to the year. And there were coupes as well as hatchbacks. there are alot of good information on this site about the 86, including several of these types of threads, the search button is your friend.

Very close!

"A" stands for the engine -- 4A-GE

"E" is toyota's designation for the Corolla (which is why the previous version was "TE")

"86" is the chassis designation.

More examples:

1st gen mr2:

AW11

"A" for the 4AGE
                        "W" for the MR2 chassis
                        "11" for the boxy chassis from 85-89

2nd gen Mr2:

SW20/21

"S" for the 3SG(T)E (the car had a 5s-fe in the US, but still was an "s" block)

"20" or "21" depending on turbo or NA

3rd gen Supra:

MA70(71)

"M" for the 7M-G(T)E
                        "A" is the Supra's chassis code
                        "70" was the 86.5-92 chassis (71 being turbo, but only on the VIN -- not on the actual chassis stamp)

For the later japanese versions, it was:

JZA70

"JZ" is the block (1JZ-GTE)
                        A70 is again the supra chassis

In Japan and australia they had a narrower body option with a 1g-gte (2.0 liter twin turbo). It was the GA70...

4th gen supra:

JZA80

JZ for the 2jz
                        A for the Supra
                        80 for the 93.5-98 body style

As for engine designations:

the first # typicaly denotes the generation of the engine. The "M" series goes way back to the Toyota 2000GT, and was used in the Crown cars in japan. 1-7M all denote some change to the engine. For example:

5M-E 2.8liter SOHC 2-valve head
                        5M-GE 2.8liter DOHC 2-valve head
                        6M-GE 3.0liter DOHC 2-valve head
                        7M-G(T)E 3.0 liter DOHC 4-valve head

the "JZ" series only has two versions to date (and probably ever)

1JZ-G(T)E 2.5 liter DOHC 4-valve head
                        2JZ-G(T)E 3.0 liter DOHC 4-valve head

typically toyota will stroke an engine, but often head changes go along with it. The 1jz head actually flows better than the 2jz head, but isn't as nice on emissions...

The next letter (or letters) is the block. "M," "A," and "S," are examples of single digit blocks. Toyota started using 2 digits in the early 90's including: JZ and UZ

The next digit (the first after the dash) designates the head design. "G" is the performance head, generally with a 45 degree valve angle and DOHC. "F" is the low-end torque and fuel efficient head, usually 30 degree valve angle and DOHC.

"T" is turbocharged. Unlike Nissan, toyota does not add an extra "t" for twin turbo models...

"Z" is supercharged. Example: 4A-GZE

"E" means the car has electronic fuel injection

So if you're in the used truck market and you find one toyota with a 22R and another with a 22RE -- you'll know that the first truck is carb'ed, while the second has fuel injection...
                        Last edited by ma71supraturbo; 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for clearing that up. Its good to see i was close. I only knew what i did from looking at toyota chassis codes and such. Well like i said, not bad for a nissan fan.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                            Well like i said, not bad for a nissan fan.
                            Not bad at all. I actually prefer Nissan's engine codes.

SR20DET

"SR" is the block

"20" is the displacement (2.0 liters)

"D" is Nissan's performane head

"E" is for EFI

"T" is for turbo

"TT" is for twin turbo

CA18DE

"CA" the block

"18" the displacement (1.8 liters)

"D" for the performance head

"E" for EFI...

Comment

This isn't about Nissan's engine code!

I know Nissan's engine code, i know plenty (read: too much!) about Nissan. I know every little thing bout the GTR Silvia and so on. I asked bout the Toyota. But neways thank you everyone for your help, i now see that there are people who really do know what their talking about!

Comment

Working...
                              X