SR20DET Vs. 13BT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20DET Vs. 13BT

SR20DET in place of a 13BT, thats some serious cross breeding, something darwin never expected.

its wrong to put anything but a rotory in a rx7 in my humble opinion

Comment

im pretty sure tony from DG trials has an SR powerd FD...

Comment

One of our local guys is building a S2000 powered FC. Totally seam welded too.

Comment

Kinda cool.

Comment

honestly, it looks like a dumb move in my opinion. look how far forward that engine sits! the excellent balance of that car has been thrown off bigtime. I hope the added torque of that big lump has offset the nose-heavy handling woes the car is sure to have.

Comment

the engine weight isn't that drastic, calm down.Chevy v8's are common swaps and don't even throw it off as much as you might think.But IMO, keep the rotary in the 7, thats what sets it apart from the others.

Comment

i dont like it for one reason: RX-7's are the only cars in the world (apart from the other mazdas) with rotarys and they shoudl stay that way. I respect Mada for that and i dont think it should be changed. even though i lvoe the sr.. how bout an rb26 in an fc

Comment

The balance of the car has not been messed up at all, this thing is purpose built. Its original owner Chris Forsberg was sick of blowing up rotaries (he went through 7 in that car) and decided to throw an sr in there. The car was 1000times better after the sr went in, and the thing drifts amazing. Tony recently got this car for his Formula D competition car and is currently in the process of testing and tuning to make it a kickass competition ready machine. I have seen this car in every stage of its life from rotary to rotary to......well, seven rotaries and one SR, and believe me, this car is badass as all hell and there was alot of time and effort devoted to make it an amazing drift car. I am really close friends with both Tony and Chris, and i guarentee you that they wouldnt have done this swap if they thought it would make the fc handle different or throw off the wieght dist.

Comment

honestly, it ***looks*** like a dumb move in my opinion
                    I said "looks". jeez... anyway, I just said it LOOKS dumb because of how far forward it sits, and that WILL throw off the balance of the car. Maybe not a lot, but still, it will make the car a little more nose-heavy. For drifting, that may be an advantage. I don't know who those guys are, but I'll take your word that they have some experience...

Also, if he went through 7 rotaries, he either needs to get someone else to build them, or he shouldn't abuse them as much. Rotaries aren't the weak link there, just the engines HE was running. I've seen many road race rotaries last a long time (my turbo FC went really well for over two years until I sold it and moved on).

Comment

7 engines, dammmm

let see, no rods, no pistons, no head??? how the hell does a person go through 7 motors in less than 6 months, there's only been 6 events this year???? even road racing, i've had my FC for 2 seasons and thats daily driven??? wow, thats major abuse, like a step child??

Hey RX-7 , 7 motors, well, i would do the same if i blew 7 motors. not, i would find another tuner and have somebody else build my motor. exaggeration is fine, but 7 seems too silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazum888
                        im pretty sure tony from DG trials has an SR powerd FD...
                        i've seen that too.

Comment

OK, here's the deal, if you actually looked at the picture, you would see that 3 out of 4 cylinders are BEHIND the strut towers, the motor sits as far back as possible, farther back than the rotary, and the car is still very balanced, i like rotaries, had them in my FC's, chris blew a ton of them, and wanted to do this swap, its cool, has torque, engine braking, gas mileage etc, but it sure as hell isn't unbalanced.....
                          -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
                          www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

Re: 7 engines, dammmm

Originally posted by genxspacy
                            let see, no rods, no pistons, no head??? how the hell does a person go through 7 motors in less than 6 months, there's only been 6 events this year???? even road racing, i've had my FC for 2 seasons and thats daily driven??? wow, thats major abuse, like a step child??

Hey RX-7 , 7 motors, well, i would do the same if i blew 7 motors. not, i would find another tuner and have somebody else build my motor. exaggeration is fine, but 7 seems too silly.
                            who said it was less than 6 months? and who is talkin about this year... the car sr motor was installed about 14 months ago. And it was actually 6 rotary motors, 5 of which blew up. in the course of 3 years. the first was the stock motor and the vacuum line to the boost sensor was hardened and fell off, and the motor didnt know i was boosting. one i ran forever with an awesome 380rwhp t04 setup, and then i sold it. shoulda kept that one. one was a semi-peripheral 13b-rew with t76 that blew in tuning, cuz no one could tune that much hp in our area. the next motor wasnt properly built right and never really started. i think a seal got cracked in the build process. the other 2 motors that blew were because they were jspec "kegs" with my t04 setup and haltech bolted up to it, they wouldnt last long with events and all the street drifting we did. the next motor wasnt properly built right and never really started.

so we decided to do somethin nuts cuz we could, and we had a sr motor sitting around. thanks andrew! and the car was honestly twice as good when it was done. we have been making alot of changes to it since then to try to make it a better competition car, it was just for fun back then.
                            www.chrisforsberg.com
                            www.driftalliance.com
                            www.nosdrift.com
                            www.hankooktireusa.com

Comment

"uh... Where is the overheating?"

The SR is a great motor with gargantuan aftermarket support, the FC is a great chassis - it only makes sense.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                              X