No announcement yet.

Esquire Magazine (Article On Drifting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esquire Magazine (Article On Drifting)

Absurdly Dangerous Sports
    May 01 '04

Absurdly Dangerous Sport #1: DRIFTING
    LEAVE IT TO THE JAPANESE, the folks who turned cooking shows into testosterone-laden battles of manhood, to make a sport out of driving sideways. Bored teens there discovered that by cornering at the right speed, with the right balance of steering, braking, and gas, you could put your car into a "drift," a phenomenon in which it loses traction and floats sideways. Naturally, a pro league followed, and drifting soon became hotter than Hello Kitty in heat. Think figure skating more than Formula One, with judges giving points for entry speed, style, and technique. ......

The rest of this article is available on Esquire Premium.

Thoughts opinions?

Hahahah, that was waack!!! Leave it to the Japanese....thats just like saying, leave the italian food with the italians and beans to the mexicans.......dumb article......we need more reporters with there head out of there a$$es........

Comment

Im not liking all the coverage.

Comment

F1 has more deaths per year then D1

Comment

Does D1 even have any deaths!? if so, post an article i want to read it...

Comment

I like that small write up Lol... talking about Iron Chef.. I think its good with jokes about hello kitty and the iron chef

Comment

The last deaths in F1, that I recall anyhow, was a course worker in Australia 2 years ago. Previous to that, Senna and Ratzenberger in 1994. Not a lot of deaths exactly for a seriously dangerous sport. I cant recall a drifting death ever though.

Comment

wow, in esquire...that's big, but I don't like how they hate on the japanese...that's like blaming them for the sushi craze and how lots of people died from sushi...

Comment

Originally posted by FormulaDrifter
                  Hahahah, that was waack!!! Leave it to the Japanese....thats just like saying, leave the italian food with the italians and beans to the mexicans.......dumb article......we need more reporters with there head out of there a$$es........
                  Haha, that actually made me laugh out loud

Comment

Hello Kitty popular?! lol

Maybe I'd have to be a girl to understand

They seem to be pretty light-hearted about the whole drifting thing. They certainly don't consider it a sport, more if a show or specticle. Maybe they should go for a ride sometime or better yet, try it themselves to see how much of a specticle it is. It is fun to watch though.

Comment

yeah...hello kitty is still popular?..I have been there in hella long(about a month)...hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost
                        wow, in esquire...that's big, but I don't like how they hate on the japanese...that's like blaming them for the sushi craze and how lots of people died from sushi...
                        They're not hating on the Japanese,your taking this a little too serious.I actually like this writers sharp tongue,anyone with a little basic Japanese culture knowledge knows that Hello Kitty is a little too popular with the girls their.Then for the writer to go and say "hotter than Hello Kitty in heat",that's pure genious.

Comment

that's true but by saying, "leave it to the japanse to..." and saying it like that makes it racist. japanese are just that dope, they can make cooking shows competitive, just as they made drifting cool. its not right to blame them for it, and that's what the author was doing. putting blame on them.

Comment

The tone isn't racist,nor is the statement.People in the LDP say much worse things about foreigners,just ask anyone who has been to Japan.I wouldn't be so quick to try and defend them,especially when they'd feed you to the tigers without looking back.

Comment

the entire tone isn't racisit...I didn't say that much...I was just saying that statment was...and what's with the throwing me to the tigers part?..there's always a darkness to a culture...so you shouldn't start with that...that's not right, this is about how esquire is telling everyone that drifting is dangerous and they're telling my mom and dad that I should be practicing it...and on top of that they're saying its the japanse's fault, and of course I'm ganna defend them cuz I'm part japanese....sorry if I come off as a defending-japanese-feel-sorry-for-them-boy...but they have a bad rep about being too shouvanistic already, and sometimes they are very masculine there, but they don't gotta tarnish the name of drifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X