Honda CRX....HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda CRX....HELP!

Ok, here is the deal. there is this girl that is selling a 1986 Honda CRX for $150, the car is in excellent condition.
    The only thing that is wrong is the clutch, seeing how i know little bout Transsmision i came here for help.
    The problem is the clutch doesn't grab, it starts fine but when putting the car into gear there is nothing catching.
    I can shift through all of the gears (while the car is running and dropping the clutch as if i was driving it.) fine but when i let the clutch drop (while car is in gear) nothing happens,
    The car stays running while the car is in gear but i can't drive it.
    It's like the Clutch\Gears aren't touching the drive train.

Any Ideas of what the problem could be and if this is a deal and i should buy it.
    Last edited by DoriFuta-; 05-16-2004, 04:12 PM.

Re: Honda CRX....HELP!

Originally posted by DoriFuta-
    The problem is the clutch doesn't grab, it starts fine but when putting the car into gear there is nothing catching.
    Clutch slipping.Solution,buy a new clutch.

Comment

Clutch Doesn't grab at all, but there is still dention in the clutch itself.

Comment

Gears aren't grinding right?

Comment

Grind

No Grinding Noise.
          Clutch Plate, maybe? What else could it be?

Comment

If your synchros were gone it would grind because your synchros wouldn't be grabbing the dog gears precisely.Honestly,if your clutch is really worn out,it would obviously slip(not grabbing) the gears.Someone want to give a second opinion on this? It doesn't need to have all the play in the world be slipping.

Comment

New Clutch?

I guess my next question is...
              What should I replace then, the clutch?

Comment

Yes.Try to get everything inspected if possible.You can learn a lot about a driver by the condition of their transmission.

Comment

Bad Driver...

well it sure as heck isn't my car and i asure you that i don't burn out clutches.
                  Unlike the person that has the CRX.

Comment

If you're getting it for $150, bring it to a shop and have them figure it out. It's going to quickly be worth more than $150 to you to just have it done already.

If the clutch is that bad, the transmission is most likely shot as well. For another $100 you could get another D-series trans from a shop or junkyard and just swap it out.

-MR

Comment

spend the 150 on somethin else man...CRX's are pretty ugly. you could find an old corolla for that much if you look

Comment

TY

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice.

RallyGT, where the hell are you getting your cars?
                        If i could find a Corrola for $150 i would have one by now, ain't nothing round here that cheap.

Comment

150 bucks? Thats the cost of a new PS2 for you kids nowadays. I would buy the car because you can get tranny for cheap, that is of course if you know the right people. You can learn how to change the clutch if you have some spare time, a small project car if you will, or you can get someone do it for you for probably under 2 bills. If you say the cars in good condition, get a second opinion to make sure, go for it. That wouldn't be a bad investment.

Comment

Even if it's just a shell $150 is a steal.

-MR

Comment

Try telling this to my wife. :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X