What are american drifters lacking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are american drifters lacking?

In light of Americas new love affair with drifting, I think that it would be important to figure out what the american drivers are lacking in the sport. In order to be more competitive with the japanese drivers we must study the differences between their techniques and ours. And to figure this out, post your opinions and hopefully, we can all learn from each other and finally begin to show the japanese drivers that american drivers can be a powerhouse in the sport as well.

First thing, practice.

Second, better set ups on our cars.

Third, and american judge, expecially at american events.
    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
      First thing, practice.

Second, better set ups on our cars.

Third, and american judge, expecially at american events.
      Are there any Americans qualified to be a judge at this point?

I mean i'd do it. My juding just wouldnt be very good.

Comment

well this one's going to cause some arguement. i say entry speeds and angle.

Comment

we yet to get the same angles that they can reach at the same speed. That is part of the car setup we do not have.
          BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

I'm not doubting the abilities of the american D1 drivers, but I remember that one of the judging critieria is the race lines, and I'm not sure or not how many of our drifters are pro racers or not, but all of theirs are, so maybe running a good race line would be a problem we might have.

Comment

I'm with Alex. All the american drivers are lacking is time and experience. Time practicing on the track, and time spent tuning the cars. The Japan guys have been doing this a lot longer than the USA guys. So give the USA guys some time to catch up.

As for the racing line, all I can really say is that the guy in front should be setting the line, not the guy in back. Going for the pass and cutting off someones line should be punished, not rewarded (just my opinion).

Comment

What does America lack? i think its isnt drivers, cars ,etcs ( well accutally it prolly is ) but i think it is the time. i mean drifting has been popular in japan for MANY years before us Noobs in america go into it. thats why they got the Drift King and we got Rhys Millen. Sure Rhys is a very skilled rally driver, but Keichi has been into drifting alot longer than most ANY drifters. so thats my 2 cents...

Comment

we are definatley lacking the cars and parts/setup for the cars. lets see them try to drift a fox body mustang or a 3rd gen camaro. they dont know those cars as well as we might.

Comment

lacking some of that extreme line control mid drift

Comment

1. Asian-ness
                      2. Super-high gas prices
                      3. Cooler Japaneese cars
                      4. Seat time
                      5. Track time
                      6. Garage time

How many of the big-league drivers started on the mountians? How many US drivers started on the track? Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference, but at least entertain me...

-MR

Comment

o yea, Consistancy, you need that to compete at the pro level.

Comment

Gas prices in Japan are actually on average 3.50 a gallon. And ETs have nothing to do with drifting. The Japanese started drifting in the suspected 60s, touge racing. What do you suspect if they've been in the drifting scene for 40(+) years on skinny, windy, dangerous mountain roads?

Comment

I think that we lack determination and time. We just can't eat, sleep, breath, and sh_t drifting day in day out like our JDM counter parts, our "American" life styles are too fast paced and time consuming for that.

I think it would also help if we had drift ( drift only) tracks like they do, like in the drift bible, that drift park that was like $15 for half a day and $30 for all day, or sum crap like that. That would help a lot for practice and less tickets

Comment

I think our boys lack in Angle,Takeing the right lines when needed,and Entry/Exit Speed...

Comment

Working...
                              X