which ae86 is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which ae86 is best?

the SR5 or Gts for drifting i was reading somewhere online and someone mentioned a supercharger for a AE86 does ne body have ne info on this?

The GTS has better options, like a DOHC motor, 4wheel disc brakes, IRS. The supercharger is probably from a late 80's early 90's MR2. It came with a 4AGZE, a supercharged version of the 4AGE that came in the GTS corolla.

Comment

Re: which ae86 is best?

Originally posted by Zero
      the SR5 or Gts for drifting i was reading somewhere online and someone mentioned a supercharger for a AE86 does ne body have ne info on this?
      i DONT REALLY THINK ITS THE BEST BUT A SUPERCHARGER ? IVE NEVER HERD OF ONE ON ANY TYPE OF TRUENO SOYUNDS INTERESTING HOPE SOMEONE POST INFO SOON.

Comment

the GTS and SR5 difference is like chocolate and sh.it!

Comment

Re: Re: which ae86 is best?

Originally posted by DRIFT_BUNNY
          i DONT REALLY THINK ITS THE BEST BUT A SUPERCHARGER ? IVE NEVER HERD OF ONE ON ANY TYPE OF TRUENO SOYUNDS INTERESTING HOPE SOMEONE POST INFO SOON.
          the reason you ghavent heard of them is because theyre american models. i think it would kid of be like (i'm probably wrong):

GT-S = GT-Apex
          SR5 = GT-V

i know this isnt accurate, but it puts it in more of a perspective for the japs on this site.

Comment

To clear up any misinformation....

Chas
            The main differences between an AE86 GTS and SR5 are:
            * Engine (4AGE 16V DOCH EFI vs. 4AC 8V SOCH carb)
            * Rear end (with GTS having an option for LSD, number of bolts are different too)
            * Final gear 4.3 vs 4.1 (5spd, SR5 auto has I think 3.9)
            * Rear brakes (solid disc vs. drum)
            * Rear sway bar (GTS yes, SR5 no)
            (keep in mind, swapping certain things over from SR5 to GTS isn't exactly plug and play)

The rest is mostly cosmetic. For a daily driving around town, SR5's really aren't that bad.... It feels like a 4AGE until you pass 4000rpm. If you found a whole rear end axle to axle from a GTS (preferably LSD) and put it an SR5, it's okay car (it may not have the power of a GTS, but it would handle about the same).

No AE86 GTS ever came with independant rear suspension from the factory, GTS and SR5 are both solid rear axle. There's a kit (Hotstaff?) to convert the AE86 to IRS, but it probably costs a fortune (you might as well buy a Miata, or an S13 if you want IRS that bad).

Chas, DRIFT_BUNNY
            The 4AGZE was a supercharger option in the later AW11 MR2 (140hp). This was also available in the USA. There is a more powerful 4AGZE found in the front wheel drive AE92 and AE101 (165-175hp?) Levin/Trueno in Japan. They stopped production of this engine after finding out that sales of the AE101 with 20V were better than sales of the AE101 with GZE.

yarzan
            The GT-V is actually a bare bones version of the GT-APEX. A GT-APEX was the luxury model and had more options than the GT-V. A GT-V pretty much looked like a basemodel AE85, but had all things an AE86 had. It was kind of the enthusiast model, for the guys that would buy one specifically for racing and would've stripped out the luxury options anyways.

The closest Japanese equivalent for the SR5 was called something like the Trueno/Levin SR. Actually, we have a better base model than the Japanese (4AC vs. 3AC, AE86 chassis vs. AE85 chassis).
            Last edited by TJ86; 05-22-2004, 01:15 PM.

Comment

So the gt-s is the better of the 2?

From all the info ty to all the gt-s would be the better drifter? How often is the gt-s found with the LSD? i know a place that does 20valve swaps but idk how much they charge is it worth to do it if say the price range would close to 2,000-4,500 dollars?

Comment

Re: So the gt-s is the better of the 2?

Originally posted by Zero
                From all the info ty to all the gt-s would be the better drifter? How often is the gt-s found with the LSD? i know a place that does 20valve swaps but idk how much they charge is it worth to do it if say the price range would close to 2,000-4,500 dollars?
                Yes, a GT-S is the better bet. But what TJ is saying is that if you can only find an SR5 you can always convert. The GT-S rear end is a must though, because otherwise you are not going to find a LSD (factory or otherwise) for the SR5 diff. I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is on LSD vs Open diffs on GT-Ss, but it was a $200 factory option back in the day. Many have them, many don't. It doesn't really matter since the stock diff will likely be worn out and you'll want to replace it with an aftermarket unit before long anyway.

If you do find a GT-S and want to know if it has LSD, look at the pumpkin for a "LSD Oil Only" sticker, or jack it up in the rear and turn one rear wheel. If the other one turns in the same direction, you've got LSD. If the other one doesn't turn you may have a very worn out LSD (I've seen it). If it turns in the opposite direction, it's an open diff.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Man, it would be nice to have a Trueno.... Do AE86's drift well because of their LSD? I know it's more than that, please someone tell me. Also does anyone know an aftermarket company for the AE86?

Comment

No, they dirft only as well as the driver. THere are lots of aftermarket parts. Just do a yahoo search.

Comment

They are hard to drift for many reasons. Most obvious is they dont have much power.

Zero: you should really go to club4ag.com and read the entire reference section.

Comment

Hehe, nice allusion to first stage, episode 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Coiloverkid
                            Obviously you don't know US AE's very well. Do you own one or have ever driven one? If no, please hit yourself in the head. I don't like when people who don't have one talk smack about the SR5 vs. the GTS. There's not a huge difference, and even with the SR5, drifting isn't that difficult. If you want to pay 4G's plus for a motor and LSD, go right ahead, but for me, $500 for an immacualte SR5 with 75k miles is a good deal. For 1g, I'll be doing the 4ag swap and GTS rear w/LSD.

Comment

i'm mocking initial D [SOME TEXT WAS REMOVED]

Comment

Working...
                              X