Drifting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting questions

I was wondering how drifters did their cars. For instance the ricer scene is FWD cars that are used for drag racing. Well if you want to drag you should want less poundage right? Interior wise they have all these music enhancements, tv's, etc. If they wanted to be faster why would they add the poundage? Then you think oh.. might be a show car right? It is hard to tell the difference between the show and drag ricers. It confuses the **** out of me. Then you just have cool stuff because it is your ride.. adding even more frustration to understanding the scene.

Now onto the drifters. Do you all do the same to your car? Like adding the sound equipment, tvs, etc or whatever? Do drifters use the type of window/glass they real drag cars use which usually are the bolt on? Or do you all use bolt on exterior kits? Meh the scenes are so crazy . How about do most of you keep the back seats or remove them? So many questions so little time. Thanks if you respond.

Drifters dont usualy add any kind of sound system... My S13 is a great example of most drifters. Stock exterior (few dings in it actualy) Dirty (spun out into dirt..) Interior wise.. the rear is stripped. Most drifters will upgrade there seat first thing though.

Body kits arent usualy drifters friends because we tend to destroy them pretty easily.. Few amatures will spen thousands on body kits and paintjobs only to then tear up there front end when they crash. I guess if anything visual mods tend to slant towards "JDM" type stuff, Silvia front ends after your popup headlights are destroyed, stuff like that. Though its usualy not show car jdm.. its usualy more japanese moutain drifter JDM lol.. with mismatched colors and such.

Every drifter is different but most of us go for lightweight, strip out whats not needed and usualy only add performance mods. Some add visual mods down the road. but its not very common.

A good drift car will make a show/drag guy go "yuck! its ghetto!" most drift cars have dings and scratches from drifting.. battle scares.. Most drift cars are older, not the best looking, but they will perform. wether there mostly stock or extreamly modified most drifters will try to put there car's performance as far as they can threw anymeans availible.

Most the guys running hatchbacks tear the whole rear out and use it to store extra tires they bring to the track.
    Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-26-2004, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Beautifully written my kind sir . I guess only the sponsored drifters like the famous japanese ones get the flashy nice stuff done to their cars. Thanks for the info.

Comment

My Ride.

Well my set up is all original stock, my back seats are in and i have a 300wat speakers in the back along with a mini bazooka bass tube.

That is all, my ride gets me from point A to point B and on the weekends Drifting.

I wouldn't mind having a Riced (Is that the rite term?) up car but i prefer to actually do more to the engine then waste money on LCD screnes and DVD player in the back of my headrest.

I would rather go to a race\drift scene and have everyone say "that is one piece of Cr4p" because my car has a bad spray paint job that i done myself along with snap on hubcaps and then blow them all away at the race because my car isn't weighted down with junk that doesn't help my car's performance then come to a show and have what everyone else has in there car.

I like to be different and myself rather then copy what everyone else is doing, I don't care what others think of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Xidane_Chill
          Beautifully written my kind sir . I guess only the sponsored drifters like the famous japanese ones get the flashy nice stuff done to their cars. Thanks for the info.
          Yes, they dont have to pay for it lol...

And even then they rarely sport any kind of sound equipment like you see in show cars. The interiors tend to be even more gutted. And all there expensive body kids are designed to be light. Lots of flashy body mods and paint jobs though on the pro cars.

Comment

Thanks DoriFuta & Nissanguy. What you said Dori reminded me of another question and that is if most normal drifters use their drift car as their everyday car. Now when I start saving up my money for a 240sx because I am in love with them I will make sure not to get audio even though I love audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Xidane_Chill
              Thanks DoriFuta & Nissanguy. What you said Dori reminded me of another question and that is if most normal drifters use their drift car as their everyday car. Now when I start saving up my money for a 240sx because I am in love with them I will make sure not to get audio even though I love audio.
              Mine is my everyday car..

Now dont misunderstand me. Most Drifters dont poor lots of money into audio systems or flashy paintjobs.. But if you want an audio setup then get one. If thats what you like. Especialy if its your everyday ride. Drifting is very personal and about fun.. Now i dont advise spending thousands of dollars and adding hundreds of pounds of audio equipment, but get your self a good low weight audio setup.. I installed a basic MP3 player in my car. i spend alot of time in it, and our radio stations suck.

Your probably going to want to advoid gigantic subs in the rear, but if you want a decent audio setup nothing is stopping you from doing know. No drifter here will give you a hardtime either. Do what you like, thats what drifting is about.

Comment

Be yourself. get a setup if you like.
                Just have to watch the weight distrobution if you would get something to heavy though...

My audio doesn't even have an Amp, it's just straight wire to Speakers and the only time i listen is on my way to work in the morning to the Joe and Holly show or to Howard Stern (when it comes in clearly), my radio sux and i also can't get any channels.

When I drift i usualy listen to Techno or just the sweet roar of my engine.

Comment

Hey fellas.
                  Before my 180sx started getting racer prepared it had the left half of the dash missing and the center console and all the carpet and instulation taken out.

Comment

I pulled my sound system out entirely. 20lbs of crap =\

Comment

You'll probably see an aftermarket front end on cars that destroyed the stock one,that's about it.Unless your sponsored,bodykits usually aren't a priority.

Comment

you know...the cars kinda reflect the personalities it seems...i mean ive got some nice battle scars on my 240 but i dont feel bad sittin next to some civic with chromed out dubs. the difference, and this might just be me, is that drifters seem so much more laid back, were out there for the fun, cuz damn it, drifting is fun! the drag guys are so competitive...i dont mean to group everyone into two main categories like that cuz there are always anomolies, but it seems the majority of draggers are just so competitive they lose sight of enjoying the car....they just have to top everyone..they wanna be faster, they wanna have bigger chrome dinner plates on the sides of their rides, they want their system ta blow everyone elses windows out, they wanna make sure everything is shiny so everyone notices them cruisin leanin halfway down towards the stick shift lookin like theyre pickin up change...drifters.....a lot of the drifters have beautiful cars, but i RARELY see godawful chrome wheels that take up 2 times the size of the normal wheel wells or huge vinyl graphics eating the sides of their cars.

sorry there is no structure but im just puttin my thoughts onto here as they come

another example...you see two drag racers at some kind of event, it slowly turns into " nah man my car would KILL yours on the track" and if they make it to their cars before they kill each other, then whoever loses the race is makin up excuses

with drifters, if i met another drifter id be freakin excited, talkin about tips and tricks with tuning and technique, sharing spots, just talkin and bein chill

thats just my two cents i hope i didnt piss off any draggers and im speakin on the majority so dont hate me!

Comment

Inside, my car is crap. All i have is a exploed cd player with stock speakers with no bass. And I dont plan on getting better ones, cause theirs no use for them. (I turn off the radio when i "try"to drift, so that i could hear the car.)
                          Outside, the car is also crap, dents, scatches, and dirt everywhere.

Comment

drifters are more about what works than what looks good

Comment

True. I personally don't see any need for fancy cars. You'll tend to smash it up anyways. I don't see the need for totally gutted out cars unless you're really serious and need that extra hp to weight ratio.

My drift car is my daily driver, my Subaru Forester. I'll do little things that benifit my driving experience. I'll upgrade the audio at some point cause I do like listening to muisc, good sounding music at that. 10 subs in the back, um...no, 1, maybe but that's just an audio preference. Some good speakers and a 4 channel amp will do for me. I'll get some better tires down the line as well when I wear through the ones that came on it, oh so crappy low end Michellins. They suck pretty bad on wet, very bad in fact, but ok on gravel. I plan on doing some minor suspension changes as well, at least a rear swaybar, maybe some minor spring changes just to tune the car a little away from stock and get rid of some understeer.

Down the line when I can afford it, I'll get myself a dedicated drifter. Even then it would still be basic, old, and cheap. Maybe I'll find myself an old Corola or 240sx, something still with a good engine and tranny, don't care much about the body. I'd tune it and get it up to a basic drifting setup: seats, roll cage, suspension, etc..., purpose designed but still with a minimalist approach. I'll live out in the middle of nowhere with countless windy roads to drift through...and every night I'll take my Corola out and deliver tofu to the squirrels and raccoons, lol.

It's really all what you want. For now, drifting for me is just a hobby, something to do for fun between home and town. I don't do it daily(close though) and I'm not real serious or competitive about it. For me, it's more of a personal experience, a personal desire to better my driving ability. It's a challenge, it's fun, and gosh darn it, I like it

Comment

Working...
                              X