My thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts.

As Drifting accelerates faster and faster towards mainstream, I look around and see things slipping through the cracks. Things that made the sport so appealing in the first place are slipping away. Things like Honor, Respect and that underdog spirit that makes little people smile like giddy school children. We don’t have as much of those qualities as our brothers across the pond. Drifters in the motherland seem to be a mysterious lot. Usually they are sporting some wild hairdo, smoking cigarettes, making funny dance moves and/or imitating some form of animal. All fun and games, until they hit the track. Then that is where the business face comes on and the silliness goes away. Drifting is Japan has held a somewhat odd place in the motorsports there. People know it is dangerous but somehow, Drifters are respected for their abilities not shunned for their recklessness. Here in America though, things are radically different.

Americans have always done things our own way. We like things to be larger than life and twice as nice. If someone does something, we have to do it better, bigger and more times than they do. As an American, I know this desire. I have defended this attitude in the past and passed it off as just being American. It gets harder by the day for me to do that anymore. I am seeing that unfortunately, bigger is not always better. In certain ways, our rapid growth has made the sport better for all involved. Ways like parts availability, sponsorships and increasing interest for automakers to develop RWD cars for the mass market again. All of these help out the regular guys like you and I. Parts that were not easily obtainable 1 year ago are now as easy to get as an Iceman intake for a CRX. The explosion of the sport has spurred the growth of business as well. Small businesses like my own are starting to pop up all over the place. Some are good and will make it, some won’t. I hope I’m the former in that equation. It has also attracted an entirely new crop of drivers and enthusiasts who will partake at all levels of the sport, further driving this growth.

Unfortunately, with rapid growth also comes a backlash. The same basic things that will drive the sport will ultimately be it’s biggest destroyer unless steps are taken. There is a slogan that I used to see that goes “Live fast, die young” That pretty much sums up the attitude of most people that I run across in the sport. Instead of looking at it as a melding of mind and metal, they only look at the glamorous side of the sport and focus on that. Most people don’t care about bettering themselves or experiencing the “soul” side of Drifting, they would much rather decorate their car like a Drifter, learn what is needed to impress people and that’s it. That to me is sad. They never fully enjoy the sport since they are too hurried to learn and cram that they get mad at themselves when they screw up something or end up hurting someone when they are too impatient to wait on a track and try it in the mall parking lot. A good Drifter reminds me of a Skater. 99% of the skaters that I know are into it for the fun. They learn new tricks for themselves, not for girls, friends or their neighbors to look at. It’s too bad that in the end it will be these “Live fast, die young” people that will cripple the sport. Already I hear about people doing things on public streets that will eventually land them in the hospital, jail or worse and this is just the beginning. We have yet to have a death attributed to Drifting, but mark my words, there will be one soon. If you think it’s bad now, wait until that happens. Everything will be tightened up so much that you won’t be able to even take a car onto the street that has mis-matched wheels without getting stopped for imaginary violations and harassed.

This explosion of the sport has not only brought new people and sponsers but it has also brought undesirable people from other sports that are dying out into it’s fold. These same loudmouths did nothing for the sport they were in and now they are wagon hopping over to ours. Being at the top of the sport does not always mean that you are the best at that sport. Too many times I see drivers that are talented but ruin it with their attitude. I don’t care how talented you are, I will never sponser a person with a bad attitude. Being that way does not help out our foray into the wonderful world of Drifting. In my opinion Drifting is one of those interesting “odd” sports that people hear about but rarely ever see. That’s what makes it so exciting to watch. When we take it over here and blow it up so that theres an event every other weekend and it’s televised and Mariah Carey starts singing the national anthem, will it be so exciting to watch anymore? No, I doubt it. Plus we Americans like to change the rules. Rules that kept the sport on a level that anyone could compete in and have fun are about to be changed (or have been already). Rules that allow someone to go out and purchase their neighbors 240, strap in some suspension, some power adders, take it to the track and be competitive are taking a backseat to purpose built racecars and tube framed monsters. Street legal will no longer be the name of the game in the future of Drifting if manufacturers have their say. It has been commented before about the addition of jumps and other obstacles into the arena as a way to make it appeal to Americans. Isn’t Drifting exciting enough without the Dukes of Hazzard element added to it? We already have a sport that has all of that and more, it’s called Stadium Trucks. We don’t need it in Drifting.

So in closing, Drifting’s strengths can also be its weaknesses if everyone is not careful. Drifting doesn’t need braggart’s who are only in it for the glory and the girls. Drifting needs those soul sliders that want to cultivate and nurture a sport that could in all actuality be one of greatest automobile sports if developed correctly. If braggarts are allowed to win events and younger people see this and become like them, then braggarts will rule Drifting. I for one don’t want that to happen because it foretells a bad future for the sport that I love.
    Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 05-27-2004, 05:39 PM.

drifters in japan seem so mysterious cuz u dont know wat they are saying. I used to think orido and tsuchiya were all technical and precise with their judging, but once i get the subtitles i see they are jus winging it on the fly

Comment

I love how you were able to put your thoughts like that in words. It really got to me, i read everyline and im happy that someone had gotten to it before me.

I'm young, but in some odd way i have the same feelings as GD here. Thanks alot man...

Don't worry about it, as long as you have your car(s), you have your desire to continue on drifting...then nothing will...nothing can, nothing will be able to change or take you away from drifting.

To me it always will be the same sport that i see so beautiful and different then anything we have here in "america" I'd rather, i know much of us would like to keep drifting underground forever, but i guess driftings like a book, sooner or later someone who falls upon it is going to notice it and then spread the word...

Comment

I am behind you 100 percent Ghost. The only thing guys like you and me can do is guide our brothers who are knew to this thing. Guide and shape them in the way we want them to be. Respectable, humble and eager drivers, always wanting to know more, always wanting to drive. Wanting to be one with there car. I've said before and i will say again Drifting is a dance, it can be a very intiment experience to those who enjoy it for what it is.

We will follow our ways, and get better. And hope people follow our example.

Comment

Very nicely put ghost im definetly with u on your comments we should watch out for those so called braggarts who are in it for the girls and the glory and make sure they dont get to far and take over

Also, i would like to say that MoDerft that is the greates phrase ever"Winging it on the fly" lol

Mabuchi Pride..

Comment

u are one of a small group that i feel confedent on reading your whole posts because i know what your saying is close if not 100 percent true..... i love drifting to......not for the little asian girls running around half naked (but that helps to )but to excel in the sport and hopefully be skilled enough to acomplish something big in my life.....

Comment

nice article, I think everyone on this board needs to read it.

Comment

i know im a newbie and i dont know how much you care, but im glad you have the intellect, and so do all the other people backing you up, to put what a lot of us are feeling into words. youre right about a lot of people losing the "soul" of drifting, but i dont think you have to worry. you obviously have the soul, and no matter how much the kids that are simply jumping on the bandwagon mess it up, you still have that soul, and there will always be a way for you to let it shine. sorry if that sounds cheesy but i take drifting seriously, and so do a lot of people here, as long as its within you it cant be touched, thanks for putting up a perfect example time and time again for all us others who love drifting.

Comment

well said ghost

I guess the only thing that can be done is for the more experienced drifters to step up and lead the way show the new drifters the true meaning, that its deeper then just a bunch of crazy guys driving around.
                  I personally started drifting more for the community then the girls to tell you the truth most girls i know think im nuts. I love how drifters help each other out alot more then the drag racers. it seems to be more like a family then street racing wich is all testosterone driven kids with there first cars trying to show off.
                  I have never seem a fight resulting from drifitng yet every other 5 mins in drag racing i see one.

let the kids do what they want and the true drifter will still be here 5 years from now witch is more then i can say for some people

Comment

personally i am not worried about the sport itself, but the wanna bes that will inevitably mess it up for us. Do you remember street races before F&TF? I don't because I didn't know about them. Now you see it on the news, and you know who watches the news, old people. When they see young people die because of street racing, they want the street racing to stop. This ruins it for the purists who used to race for the thrill and the skill. Now apply that to drifting: you will have kids up on moutain sides who crash and die, and they blame it on the new sport of drifting. That means they crack down on us and keep it from happening like they do with street races.

The sport will not die, but it wont have the local identity it does in japan. Not as many people can identify with the racers we have compared to them. How many of us can say we drifted with Rod (or Rhys i forget) Millen. Compare that to how many of the amateur drifters in japan can say they drifted with Ueo on the touge. It makes it seem almost as if the pros we have are untouchable, where the drifter in japan still drift along side their pros.

I kind of have a few point in there, but I think I got what i wanted across, we do not have a amateur base. We have beginners and we have track seasoned pros. Those who did start on the touge had a good advantage that we might not get if what I said about kids on mountains sides happens. I would like to say that I drifted with one of my buddies and he becomes a pro, which has almost happened as someone I know was supposed to drift in the Formula Drift, as pro as it gets here. That is pretty cool to say, but shutting down touge or even parking lots will make it impossible to say that.

mumble mumble mumble.....I lost my focus somewhere

Comment

We'll have to wait and see.So far nothing really bad has happend,I'm hoping it will stay that way,especially since drifting in the US is in its infancy still.Now we are starting to develop,the last thing we need is an abortion.

Comment

I think drifting is just coming to the public way to fast. within the past year is the only time i have seen drifitng in the media; how long has drifting been around in japan? Maybe its just that japans drifting scene has had more time to grow and mature.

Comment

great minds think alike! I couldn't agree with you anymore. I have had similiar thoughts running through my mind over the past few months. I do have some suggestion for the community though..i've taking they out of my Rado post, because they are applicable.

we should consider learning, understanding, and practicing the type of "dorifto" sportsmanship that the japanese have created. I understand that our culture and mannerism are not exactly the same, but if we learned how to drift from them, we could learn how to cope as the community grows.

The culture drifting, for what i have experienced, is not totally about what you look like or how much you can spend, its about the driving spirit..i.e. the enjoyment and satisfaction of driving your car, with a group of people who are more than willing support you.

we should try to keep it like the last statement and support the companies that realize that the culture should stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by SilviaLove
                            The culture drifting, for what i have experienced, is not totally about what you look like or how much you can spend, its about the driving spirit..i.e. the enjoyment and satisfaction of driving your car, with a group of people who are more than willing support you.
                            Americans seem to have trouble with this, and it's the thing I find most lacking in the US car scene.

I just want to go drive and wrench, not hear about how "yo that ish is whack"...

In truth, all you can do about any of this is surround yourself with good people, and stay away from the riff raff, just like in the rest of life.

Comment

Americans "pro" drivers probably wouldnt even be considered that great in Japan. We need more time its blowing up too fast. Its liek a war, we are sending in untrained, unexpierienced young troops up against seasoned vetrans and we expect them to do good. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X