To the Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Pros

Lately many of our U.S. pro drivers have registered and started posting. Well, I have always been interested in the background of our and the Japanese pro drivers. So how about you guys post a little bit about yourselves (how you got into the sport, past cars, first drift, your car now, and anything else that is cool). I am sure a lot are interested too. Go into as much detail as possible because I think you guys rock just for coming on a public site and talking to us. I just love how pro drifters are so down to earth and willing to help out a fellow drifter in need.

ive been in to car since i was 12 that my dad was a master mechanic at BMW MBZ and LEXUS. my first car was a 96 integra and i draged raced with it. at that time i never new about auto cross and speedtrials and stuff. around 98 i started watching option videos and i learned about drifting and i was like wow. so i got my self a corolla coupe in 2000 or so.

started off running the mountains( before i go on please know that i do not encourage anyone to run the mountains. im no one to tell anyone what to do but if you do enjoy driving up there. please get a 4 point harness, drive it for the pleasure) i didnt start off with drifting. started off with just learning what to do with a car. i always said "you want to take your car for a ride, not let the car take you for a ride" i started off driving the car with only a bucket seat and harnes. ( i actually wanted to throw the car off the mountain because i couldnt drive it, but four months later i got the hand of it)

than drifting started with one turn in the mountain with all the guys driving than it went on the the streets before the cops found out. the first time pros from japan is when i first know about drifting events it was out in buttom willow and thats when i first knew about alex.

a few months later we were enterd in the option drift event that was my first event.

this is getting to long so ill cut it short, competed with my car last year and ran out of money so i went to autolink this year( and because i spun in front of alex and he put my car to the grave, but as drivters you have to have that understanding that its no ones fult, going in to this sport you have to be ready for anything)

so this is where im at to day doing what i love to do...

i can say is learn how to walk before you run

DRIVE SAFE ANDY YEN SWINGBattle
    DRIVE SAFE ANDY YEN SWING Battle

Comment

Thank you Andy. So for those that might not be familiar with what car you drive now can you talk a little bit about it and the mods you have done to it?

Comment

When did you purchase your current car and why is Gloomy on the paint scheme ;D ?

Comment

its Autolinks car and gloomy was picked because hes bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* and its pink. but because of legal issues we couldn tues him anymore so i had my frien dRick put together something for auto link. hew the sam eperson that air brushed Alexs car. very good artis...

DRIVE SAFE ANDY YEN SWINGBattle
          DRIVE SAFE ANDY YEN SWING Battle

Comment

Hey Andy, Your Car is one of the best looking cars I've seen for D1 cars.... I love the paint.......and thanks for always being there at the Drift Day events...thanks

Comment

I guess its my turn....in 1998 I joined the Marine Corps. I knew nothing about drifting...I wanted to stay in Cali, but got sent to Okinawa in June of 99. The first six months or so was all beer and hangovers and working out. November or December of 99 I was riding to the club with a bunch of friends and the car just happened to be a GTS-t R32 Skyline. It belonged to my friend and coworker Birdie. I asked him what was the big deal with a Skyline? They all laughen and he immediatly shut my mouth by throwing it sideways onto the next street. The spark was arched and I was drawn into it ever since. I ended up at a place called 4 corners, also know as Irijima or AJA. There I saw a lime green R33 Skyline w/R34 front end being chased by an evil red S14 zenki Silvia. These cars belonged to the top two members of Murder who is a well known Okinawa based drift team. When I saw them in action it further fueled the fire and my passion for drifting grew stronger. I said if they can do it I can do it. I soon could be seen close behind the Murder cars trying to figure out how they did it. It wasn't long after that I could imitate what they did, but it took me enduring a lot of smak talking from my friends saying it was impossible and many sleepless nights of practice. I was in a zombie trance for like a year straight. I would wake up and think what do I need to fix on the car or I would hurry to the hobby shop to change tires and be ready for the next evening. Everyone else was out partying and getting trashed while I was out practicing. My first car was a purple 1983 AE86. I drove that for a few months before I got a CA18 powered S13 Silvia. The first upgrade was an S14 turbo. I beat on that car for about 7 months straight before the engine blew. I couldn't afford another engine so I had to get back in the 86. There I learned even more again...I would practice even longer in it cuz it would take so much more abuse. I was practicing about 3-4 hrs a night at least 3 nights a week. Many times I would find guys that wanted to go and they would pay for gas just to go driftng. LONG STORY!!! Theres more, but not today.
              Ernie Fixmer
              Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
              Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

^ Where did you find time for all this? Didn't you jar heads have real work to do?

Comment

Great detail Ernie. That was just what I was hoping to here. Man, looks like the Marines were a good thing for you man. Would love to here some more of your story man.

Comment

[POST DELETED]

Comment

Where are more pros? I thought we had like 20 (just kidding) and where are Chas and DX I want to hear their storys too.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftinCressida
                        Meh, My turn

I began my love of cars at the age of 10, my brief fascination grew than obsession that led to an outbreak of questioning. How did this work and all that stuff. 14 years old, my dad already began buying my car, the Toyota Cressida, thought it would be eventually passed on to me, but I had other loves before the Cressida. I had a brief addiction ot the AE86 back when the Dori Kin was still driving on a daily basis, and S15's and 34's. I never realized the capability that can be processed throughout a small powerplant such as a 7mg engine. Considering these factors, I had to reach a point in which i decided which car was going to be my car, not only for driving, but for racing. My dad's 10 year old car was going to be a monster machine, I thought to myself. As I grew a loving to it, it became possible that this machine can be altered to change it's ways. My skills as a drifter were still mediocre, but as I went on, and after the tranny change, I was able to suit it towards my needs. Still not a "Great" drift machine, but she works for me. After I adjust the throttle body, the car would be a monster. So after that, me and my friends went to an open parking lot probably about 1: AM, and the idea of powersliding wasn't as effective as planned, so I developed my idea of "Auto" drifting. Not sure if anyone else found that yet, but I was hitting high speeds and getting good corners with that in the parking lot. I was going against some monster machines that my friends also have, though they are a little higher in status, their cars are majorly tuned to race in competition at this point, but they refuse to. Well it comes to here, and I just order a set of springs and tires, and much more. To keep ya updated, I'll get some pics
                        Sorry dude, but this wasn't a post a story of your drifting career thread. This was so people could get background of the pro drivers that they watch and seen in the magazines. Chad isn't any where close to being a pro driver, sorry but you know it is true. He just has the low down on everything and DX has already told his story. I created this thread for and only the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichi-Go
                          Where are more pros? I thought we had like 20 (just kidding) and where are Chas and DX I want to hear their storys too.
                          I had no idea Chas was a pro. Gee golly, the things you learn from people that have never met the guy in their life is astounding!

Edit: The only pro I know of that's still in highschool is Gushi.
                          Last edited by Weapon X; 05-29-2004, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I had to be at PT(Physical Training) every morning at 5am and I got off work at 5pm. That is a Marine aviation mechanic's typical day. I would usuall go out from 11pm to 3am. You tend to get a hollow feeling in your stomach after a while.
                            Ernie Fixmer
                            Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
                            Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

Man thats sounds like a bad a$$ day to me man. I bet riding with murder gets you the best experience. So Ernie would you call the ca a good drift car engine or is it something you regret buying and whish you had a sr?

Comment

Working...
                              X