Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I drift in these cars?

alright...need help here.
    I kno the "recommended" car for drifting is perferably (sp ?) RWD with manuel tranny...
    but being still in high school n working for a suck *Censored**Censored**Censored* job that pays me barely jack sh*t..my options are slim.
    Here are the cars that are sitting in our drive way right now...

1995 Camaro v6 - auto tranny
    1986 Honda Civic Hatchback - manuel
    1991 Honda Accord - auto

we also got a old *Censored**Censored**Censored* ford truck n a isuzu rodeo...but even for a newbie i'm damn sure those wouldn't work...o_O;;

as far as I kno...the only RWD between those 3 is the camaro...the others FWD. (correct me if i'm wrong?)

Which car could would be the best to practice drifting?
    They all come pretty much stock...and I only got $2000 I could spend on mods...though I'd rather not, since I kno I'll prolly crash...but if it's a must then i'll do it.
    Anything to achieve my goal of becoming a master drift queen!
    hahaha....I got long ways to go

I would just wait a little while and try to find an affordable rwd car that's a manual. Auto is kind of crappy in general.... and manuals are just more fun.

If u have 2000 dollars saved up, look around for a cheap corolla or an 89 S13. You could probably find one if you just give it some time.

Comment

i'm w/ MrMigs. he's right. there's not much you can do w/ your 2 honduhs. IMO. and the camaro is auto which is just plain boring. i have seen 240 fastbacks go for around 2000 where i am from. just keep your eyes peeled and something great is bound to pop up.

Comment

well....out of your list (which the options are horrible) the only prospect is the camaro (b/c it's RWD and the others are FWD).

anyway, i agree w/ the others....just use the cash to get you something cheap and in a FR (front engine, RWD) configuration (240, miata (my pic), FC, corolla, etc.). don't get an auto, get a manual, and if you can get a car w/ a limited slip rear end even better. the turbo FC and some of the miatas will fit that bill nicely. good luck!

Comment

same here...there are defintely plenty of used 240sx's you could get for 1200-1500. or just continue to save up and buy a nice little fc down the road.

Comment

I'd say the Camaro.

Comment

Yeah camaros worth a shot. When coming in to the turn see if you wan nutral drop it right quick, lol, real frigggen quick.

Comment

thanks for the advice ^_^

hey...thanks for the reply.
                hehe, i'm sure you'd <CrazyHawaiian> would go for that camaro ^_~ seeing oyur lil signature picture thingy you got there....(is it yours ? ? ?)

but as for the majority...its wait n save for a car that's actually made for waht i'm after...( oh geez...antoher summer of working...X_x; )
                now i remeber, before i got the camaro, when i was looking for cars to buy, i found a used 240sx at this one place...for bout 1200. i thought i found my car...but it had some problem with it cuz my dad turned it down. (he knows more than I...so I had to go with his decision)
                it didn't pass emissions or something...

anyway, finding a nice...cheap...and actually decent rwd car, it might takea while.
                i can definetly wait...but *until* i find it...is it still alright if I practice different techniques (if possible) on my lil hatchback civic?
                that and the camaro...but the civic the one thats got manuel so...

any adivce, tips with that?

another question...exactly what does a car with LSD play in drifting?

thanks ! ! ! =D!

Comment

Well to tell you the truth, no car was made for drifting. Cars are designed to handle (grip), but pushing them past the limits of grip is what you do when you drift. Like you said from the start, what you want is RWD with a Manual tranny. Putting those things in order of importance, the driveline layout is the most important, and the tranny would be second important. If you dont want the Camaro thats fine (hey its your choice), but I would recommend you wait and find a RWD car you do like. Of course you can still play with a FWD car (some guys are pretty good around here!) but the FWD car will never give you the exit speeds a RWD car will. So the RWD cars are alot more fun to drift. A LSD is a Limited Slip Differential, it goes in the power axle of the car (rearend for RWD cars, or front for FWD cars, both for AWD). Often called a Posi by domestic people, LSD's can be either 1 way (stock), 1.5 or 2 way. The 2 way is the one you want for drifting. This means the power wheels both accelerate and de-accelerate together.

Yes both the Camaros in my sig picture are mine. The red one is a 1989 RS drift/grip project and the orange one is my daily driver, a supercharged 1991 z28.
                  Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-05-2003, 01:36 AM.

Comment

lsd

So do most RWD cars come with LSD?
                    I've heard some do..some don't.
                    and if it comes stock, being 1 way, what's the difficulty/price/etc of getting 2 way?
                    what about suspension? and tires?

<crazyhawaiin> what all have you done to that red camaro, it being your drift/grip project?

and finalley...who else is from ATL?

Comment

Spartanburg SC here.

anyway, difficulity finding a LSD for your car depends on what car you have...more popular obviously easier to find. LSD's run anywhere from 200 bucks for a used factory VLSD unit to up to a 1000 for a nice Nismo, Mazdaspeed, or Kaaz unit. there is really nothing inbetween. really nice (expensive) units, or you basic (usually cheaper) used factory units.

anyway why don't you do this. learn how to drive well with the civic, go to some autocrosses, learn how to apex and pick out race lines...figure out how to double clutch and rev match...and all the other good driving stuff. basically learn how to drive fast and how to drive fast the right way. as you're doing this save your money, then when you're ready sell the civic and take the money from the civic and that you have saved and buy you a nice FR drift car (240, FC, AE86, MX-5, whatever) and have some money left over for your first mods.

that's just my opinion.

Comment

that's definitely a good idea. BTW, i have always wondered WTF double clutching is...

Comment

Originally posted by driftallcorners
                          that's definitely a good idea. BTW, i have always wondered WTF double clutching is...
                          short deffinition:

Double-clutching is the proper way to downshift at speed without placing excessive wear on the transmission's synchronizers. This allows you to select a much lower gear without the tell-tale lurch you normally get when the clutch is let out after downshifting.

here's the link to the site i got that from, tells you the basics on how to do it...very good info IMO.

http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

Comment

Well for domestics, a good posi is not that expensive, but a good import lsd is expensive. Like he said around $800-$1000 for a good one. Or you can just do a backyard spidergears mod for free but be prepared for the rearend to break. Some of my friends have done this to their 240's and it lasted about 3 months. As for my car, my mods are secret unless you know me. The car has been down for about 3 months while I build it. Its taking a long time because I'm learning how to weld and paint along the way. When I'm done I will have spent about 6K in parts. I wont have to worry about double clutching.
                            Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-06-2003, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Double-clutching was common in older cars and is still common in some modern race cars. In double-clutching, you first push the clutch pedal in once to disengage the engine from the transmission. This takes the pressure off the dog teeth so you can move the collar into neutral. Then you release the clutch pedal and rev the engine to the "right speed." The right speed is the rpm value at which the engine should be running in the next gear. The idea is to get the blue gear of the next gear and the collar rotating at the same speed so that the dog teeth can engage. Then you push the clutch pedal in again and lock the collar into the new gear. At every gear change you have to press and release the clutch twice, hence the name "double-clutching."
                              Hehe more detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X