open differential Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open differential Q

I have a mustang with an open differential. I was wiondering the advantages/disadvantages of having one for drifting/autocross and if i should get a traction-lock. Thank you.

i see no advantages of having one. the problem i have with open diff. is that it makes the car very unpredictable.

Comment

i have noticed that too, because of the open diff. when the weight is transfered during a slide/sharp corner the one tire looses traction and breaks free. However, when i was countersteering my car snapped back because it finally caught grip on the one tire and because of the snapping it forced the other tire to break traction. I ended up spinning out. I was wondering if an LSD would be worth it for drift/autocross.

Comment

Yes. Its worth it.

Comment

lsd is always nice to have. makes the car easier to handle.

im peg leggin it still. lol. one day i'll have an lsd. it'll be sick too

Comment

I've been looking into phantom grip... or retro swapping monza lsd.

Comment

I think a LSD is benifitical for anything that requires turning and applying throttle. Braking and off-throttle techniques gain no advantage. However, when you start hitting the gas, youre power goes to the wheels with the least resistance. When drifting, this means the inside rear tire. This would cause a good amount of wear and a less than optimum application of power. A limitted slip differential helps keep this from happening. Instead, the power is applied more evenly, making better use of the power and probably allowing you to us less throttle to keep the rear end sliding.

In autocross, it's just the same.

I live in Minnesota and for me, the biggest benifit is winter traction. It's a lot nicer having 2 or 4 tires spinning at once than 1 or 2(4wd, open diffs). You can get moving a lot easier. My old Ranger was complete crap in the winter. The diff was old and shot. I couldn't get up a very slight incline on packed snow. One tire would just spin. My bro's Protege5 had really crappy winter tires on and he could drive on the same surface 10 times better than I could. It was funny but sad. Now I got my Subbie, and I'm going to really enjoy winter this time around, lol.

Comment

the only one benefit with an open diff is that
                you don't have to change diff oil so often.
                it's like once in a year or 2 years.
                if it's a clutch type lsd, once in 2or 3 months depending on how you drive.
                if you race, you probably have to change oil every time you race.

Comment

Working...
                X