ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question:How many work on their own car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question:How many work on their own car?

Not just the bacis stuff like oil change and tune ups..but how many of you get under,around and on top of the car, so that you know how warn out every peace is and what everything is doing.

the only thing i farm out is stuff i dont feel like doing or stuff that i dont have the tools for..

I also know the exact condition of every bushing, u-joint, Half shat, line, bearing and anything else thats going on with my car..

The reason i ask this is because i was at drift event, riding with a friend of my in his S13...the suspension didnt feel right to me , and i was chacing an odd, transent problem with the handeling..I ask him if he knew the condition of the suspension and his answer shocked me..it was somthing along the lines of that he took it in for an alignment and the guy told him that somthing needed to be replaced but, he forgot what it was...

the suspension and breaks are what keep you on the road/track and they should receave as much, if not more inspection time than the rest of the car...

I do

Comment

I cant say that i know everything, far from it, but i learn everytime something needs to be done and everytime im in the car. I do all my work my self usualy its the first time i've ever done anything along those lines. But i read get some tools together and go for it.

Comment

I do all my own work as long as it doesnt require some crazy tool, like alignments i dont do, and I probably wouldnt install my own LSD as it requires backlash measurement and I dont have the tool or the knowledge to know anything about that.

Comment

My car is up on jack stands right now in my garage. So you know my answer.

Comment

Yes, I do my own work.

Comment

Don't really have a predictable time table in order to do major work on my own. I mean, hell, 6 months out of the year I'm stuck on a boat.

Comment

I would go insane if I couldn't work on my car for six months at a time.

Comment

^ There are other things that keep your mind busy like, you know, landing a fighter at 200 mph on a moving boat...at an angle.

Comment

i do, i've got removing my intake manifold and wire harness down to under 20 minutes.

Comment

I do the chevette fixings.

i guess i don't like paying guys 100 bucks to work on a car i paid 200 for.

Comment

for me along with many other reasons...i dont trust anyone but me to work on my car..I like to know EXACTLY how everything is done..and EXACTLY the condition of the parts that broke...or that are still there..that and im a cheep *Censored**Censored**Censored*..

Just re packed the wheel bearings today...barings are good but the greases was thrashed..and it gave me a chance to inspect the front suspension...and so now the passanger side shock is getting pulled and sent to tein to get rebuilt..
                        man i wish the last owner of the car worked on it...it would make my life eaiser...most of the stuff beside the tuneup and oil change have never been done

Comment

and so now the passanger side shock is getting pulled and sent to tein to get rebuilt..
                          man i wish the last owner of the car worked on it...it would make my life eaiser...most of the stuff beside the tuneup and oil change have never been done
                          From the word and, to the word done, is the story of my life with my current turbo II.

oh...and for topic sake, i work on my car aswell

Comment

Noone knows how to work on the Rotary, so of course I tune my baby.

Comment

Yeah I work on my cars. But I'm still a novice at mechanics, paint, and body. My friend Brian is the guy with the experience and I learn from him. When I first got into drifting I was not working on my own car but I quickly found out that you can save a lot of money doing stuff yourself (since stuff gets stressed while sliding breaks alot). Nowadays I do check all the bushings and suspension components under my car before drifting. Makes me feel a lot better about throwing the car around. But there is also some stuff I cant do, or wont do because 1. I have no experience doing it and I need it done the right way the first time or 2. just plain dont know how to do it or dont have the tool. Examples could be re-aligning the pitman arm in my car (need it done right the first time), or setting the line pressure for the transmission after swapping a new one in (dont have the tool or knowhow). But the good part is I know a lot of the people that work on my car personally so I can watch and learn from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X