Turbo RX-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo RX-8

There is talk about an stock electric turbo RX-8 making a debut sometime in 2005 and production in 2006. No word on performance numbers, price, etc. Could someone please explain to me this "electric turbocharger"?

If the car's electric,how does the turbo work? Maybe I read it wrong.

Comment

It was a quick 2 paragraph blurb. I think the Turbo is electric, but i am not certain. I know for sure that the car is not electric. If anybody has heard anything else, or can shed some light on the "electric turbo", feel free.

Comment

its pretty much a leaf blower. i dont see how this is going to make anyone want the care more. :P

Comment

it depends on the kind of electric motor i guess. it could improve some torque in the low rpms, could just add power throught the entire powerband, or it could be a monster and add 100hp. i don't know, details are sure to come, i was just informing people and wondering if any other additional information was uncovered.

Comment

could you link me to the article you read? cause i've never heard of a factory eletric turbo'd car.

Comment

if its electric then wouldnt that make it a supercharger?? cause turbs are spooled by exhaust gasses.

Comment

First i want to clarify. The engine is still the Renasance Rotary, only with an electric turbo. The turbo is electric, not the car. Also i found this bit in the JULY 2004 issue of Car and Driver ( sweet article about Rhys Millen's drift GTO and drifting a stocker), page 34 if anybody has it or wants to pick one up...
                "A NEW MEMBER OF THE ROTART FAMILY"
                Mazda is working on a more powerful RX-8 that will a boast newly developed electrically assisted turbocharger. The electric turbo was choosen over a solely exhaust-driven turbo becuase the electrical unit is able to meet increasingly stringent emissions regulations. Mazda plans to unveil the turbo RX-8 at the benial Tokyo atuo show in 2005."
                exact words, no pics.

Comment

i heard that the turbo helps the electric engine go faster till 2000rpm theni the gas engine starts working, i dunno may be this sounds wrong but ill look it up.

I got it! this is nothing new to mazda they also have a hydrogen rotary, but this has an electric motor to spool the turbo up, the e motor helps at 1000 rpm to spool up the turbo but at higher rpm the turbo work the regular way .the motor is powerd by a 144volt batt
                  bye

my trusty super street rag has done it yet again
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ; 06-04-2004, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Renasance Rotary,
                    Um I dont want to correct people, But it's RENESIS ROTARY. Just an FYI. Not bashing u.

Thanks.

Comment

With the heat that rotaries create,I could see the wires going brital,causing turbo failure and other headaches.

Comment

So its a turbo charger with a small motor in it, Not to create boost but to eleminate lag? brilant... a motor could help it get up to speed to a degree where it would still be waiting on the exhaust gasses.. then you can disconnect power from the motor and the turbo can spin at any speed it needs to to make boost.. Kindof like a supercharger that isnt limited on the engine's RPMS.

It wont be perfect but that sounds like a great idea.. pair it with something like mitsubishi's twin scroll design... it would deffenately be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                          With the heat that rotaries create,I could see the wires going brital,causing turbo failure and other headaches.
                          the new rx8's dont really have that problem. their cooling system works pretty good now. idunno what they changed. but i've never seen one over heat. but then again i've only seen FC's overheat.

and ricer240sx, superchargers run off of the pulleys. not eletricity.

Comment

The next GT-R is suppose to use 2 of these electric assist turbo.

When there isn't enough exhaust energy/load, the electric motor will drive the turbo, generating boost.

Comment

can't believe nobody has tried this technology out yet...no matter, thank you for clearing up the mystery of the electric asist turbo.

Comment

Working...
                              X