Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Experienced" drivers like it too

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=07633510

This "experienced" driver liked drifting so much, he's decided to teach it at a driving school. The one aspect I liked was how he mentioned how Goodyear's interested in drifting. Now we have numerous domestic tire companies aiming to produce drift-spec tires such as Falken (domestic, I don't remember) and BFGoodrich (also domestic?).

GTOs huh? so his famous driving school couldnt afford 10 grand to buy a handful of old 240s? Well whatever.

Comment

Falken is Japanese

Comment

I dont understand what you are saying, you really cant make a drift spec tire no one can really do that, falken is a japanese tire company and has been involved with drift since the beginning, and goodyear and bf goodrich have been on cars that run D1 since D1 started in japan as well. I might be missing what your trying to say, if i am let me know.

Comment

I'm pretty sure a manufaturer can make a tire designed for drifting.

Comment

old people suck, just in general. 2 grand for a 2 day drift school... Man i dont know about that. its just so much money, Dont expect the kids who want to get into drifting to be signing up.

Comment

Heck he probably got those cars for free. I'd have taken them too. I don't like the skid control exoskeleton though. If you are going to drift then drift. Don't play with the instructor taking the weight off the wheels. Totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                Heck he probably got those cars for free. I'd have taken them too. I don't like the skid control exoskeleton though. If you are going to drift then drift. Don't play with the instructor taking the weight off the wheels. Totally different.
                Ghost what the hell are these things exactly?

Comment

Bob's about making money. That's his bottom line. I'm a little too familiar with the background story of his drifting school for comfort...

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
                    Bob's about making money. That's his bottom line. I'm a little too familiar with the background story of his drifting school for comfort...
                    I doubt 2 days with the drift king could make you a very good drifter.. It just takes alot of practice for the most part. Theres very little to teach person to person, and yet so much to teach your self when you make a mistake.

Comment

drift tires dont really exist, I dont know how you would design a tire to be specifically drift, when you see how the tires are used while drifting most logic behind the tire is thrown out the window. Case in point; using Falken Azenis/Advan Neova (hi grip tire) to drift like some of the pros do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                        They work as a tool. It's a hydraulic outrigger with one wheel at each corner of the car. The height of each corner can be raised or lowered. When you have both of the rear tires lifted up where they have barely any traction, the tires last a long, long, long time.

I played around doing figure-8s with their older mustangs in that setup.

It's only good for getting people to get use to being easy with the throttle.

And if the instructors sit there and mess with the weight balance during some figure-8 excercise, it becomes a good practice for catching the drift.

That's the limit of that tool, from what I was able to learn from it.

I had more fun drifting their Cobra Vics on their road course than messing around on their skidpads with those cars.
                        Last edited by '97 S14 SE Turb; 06-09-2004, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                          I doubt 2 days with the drift king could make you a very good drifter.. It just takes alot of practice for the most part. Theres very little to teach person to person, and yet so much to teach your self when you make a mistake.
                          It doesn't. It only can highlight areas for the driver to work on in their own time.

If I were interested in a drift school, going with www.driftconcept.com is a much better idea. You can say I'm one of their first student, even before driftconcept came about. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by slide
                            drift tires dont really exist, I dont know how you would design a tire to be specifically drift, when you see how the tires are used while drifting most logic behind the tire is thrown out the window. Case in point; using Falken Azenis/Advan Neova (hi grip tire) to drift like some of the pros do.
                            Actually, the regular logic behind tire choice for drifting is misinformed.

Yes, drifting is about being on the edge and beyond of traction, but the general public in the US is going about it the wrong way.

It's not about the low traction tires. It's about having good traction. The cars aren't setup for oversteer, but neutral with hint of understeer.

The highend tires will last a whole lot longer than the general type tires most folks in the US uses. While it last longer, it isn't as showy as the general tires. The regular tires can't handle the heat being generated and falls apart fast, creating a visually enticing smoke show.

I see too many folks out there with their 215 width tires. While the pro levels are using 235 and 255 width tires.

I used to believe in less traction, until I was working on higher speed snap transitions. With the lesser tires, it was impossible to recover from the extreme snap angle I was testing with. But with wide 255 width Max performance tire, I was able to catch it consistantly.

Another benefit of running the best traction tire (short of R-compound) is the higher speeds and much, much more control.

Personally, I'm run Yokoham AVS Sports 235/45-17 and 255/40-17. IMO, that's perfect for the speeds I want out of drifting.

Comment

I agree with you on the Bondurant thing. You also see those on police cars to help officers learn skid control. You can also take classes for the regular driver to battle loss control with those.

They are a pretty good control for controling skid, it will teach you alot with little wear on the vehicle. They also started using them in the military courses such as offensive driving school to help you learn car control under stress. Think it's hard to drive fast on the stree? Do it with a gun weilding weirdo terrorist on your tail. Offensive driving school is pretty neato. They learn you how to ram cars out of the way without doing major damage to your vehicle, vehicle surveillance technics, counter surveillance technics, driving while shooting, things like that. Pretty cool course if you have ever been in the military.

Comment

Working...
                              X