8 speed skyline!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 speed skyline!!!

yeah that shocked me too, but nonetheless, its true. imagine drifting this sucker

http://www.apexjapan.com/news/gt_8/gt_8.html

here too, about 1/4 of the way down

http://autozine.kyul.net/0_News/Arch...02_01/News.htm

thats pretty insane, ive heard you cant make transmissions go much over eight speed, manufacturers feel its way too awkward and difficult to shift like a normal 5 or 6 spd, you know why...

Comment

the thing about it is that its paddle shift, not ur normal stick shift.

Comment

that's awesome i can't even imagine drifting that thing!!

Comment

i think theres some confusion. it says it is a 8 speed CVT. CVT is continously variable transmission. we have an audi with a cvt, and the thing about it is that it doesnt have ANY gears. or it has infinite gears, depends on how you look at it. instead of the traditional gear ratios being split up, the cvt can pick almost any gear ratio. it works with a huge drive chain between two sets of cones. the transmission will pick the most suitable situation of each set of cones. this means that it can change it very very slightly, like by 100 rpm from gear to gear. driving our audi A6 3.0l FF CVT is crazy. when you floor it, the rev's will go up to a certain speed, the place on the powerband that has the most power, and almost stay there as you accelerate. the needle wobble around it, but will stay in that area from 40mph to 80mph. there is also a mode where you have a conventional 6-speed clutchless manual mode, where 6 specific gear ratios are picked out, and you can change them yourself. so i think it just like that. there are other cars with the cvt, think prius and such. performance is not sacrificed, as the 6 speed A6 and CVT A6 run to 60 in the same time. technology is great isnt it? i think thats what they are trying to mean.

Comment

i think those articles are a kinda dated. 350GTS? Geeze why can't Nissan be a little more orignal like Silvia. BTW, on the second link, they stated that the Silvia is the last affordable RWD car. Now that I think about it, when was the last time an affordable Japanese RWD car was produced for the states?

Comment

whats up with all of these cars that are not real standard. i still have not got to see this automatic/standard in action. it just does not seem to be the same almost like a video game as one of the stories said. it seems like it should be a person because there is no mistakes if you hit a button and it shifts. i prefer the great thing of imperfection.

Comment

In theory with a CVT transmission in full continuously variable mode they can keep the car at the RPM where they receive PEAK power no mater what speed they are in. I've yet to see one that advanced. But imagine a time period where you no longer need to worry about power band. Just peak power and you change your tranny to hold it there....

Comment

8 speed? man that might suck... like one of those civics that sound like they are doin 10k rpm but theyre only going like 15mph lol. shift at 15! 25! 37! 49! 60! 72! 84!

lol downshifting would be hell... 2-1 downshift at 20 and blow the engine... hahahaha

Comment

nissanguy, thats what the audi does. to bad its slow though. but just as fast as the manual

Comment

yeah bmw makes cars with cvt but im not sure if all the companies use the same name. it would not take as much skill to do anything like drifting, but then again if it is always at peak power then you could not adjust yourself as easily. i just don't know anymore......

Comment

Whoa, that's weird. It would be hard for me to drive.

Comment

I think that would just make drifting hard or next to impossible. It isn't very practical to change gears mid drift. With no clutch that also takes away some techniques that are critical to be a good drifter. What this sounds like is the kind of gears on a mountain or 10 speed bike.

Comment

http://cars.ign.com/articles/521/521554p2.html

7 speed

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
                              I think that would just make drifting hard or next to impossible. It isn't very practical to change gears mid drift. With no clutch that also takes away some techniques that are critical to be a good drifter. What this sounds like is the kind of gears on a mountain or 10 speed bike.
                              There are no real gears on a CVT.

Comment

Working...
                              X