PDA

View Full Version : First Things First

5Z S13
06-13-2004, 05:17 PM
what would you recommend be the primary upgrades for drifting, besides the car of course. Didn't know where to put this thread general or tech so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

dorimilk
06-13-2004, 05:20 PM
I think that the primary upgrades are:
Suspension
Tires
Remove that sound deadening crap

That's all I would need to drift good.

Feint
06-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Imo,these are what I would consider the primary upgrades.

Suspension (coilovers,tie-rods,bushings,a-arms(if needed)control arms,etc).
Bucket seat,or a seat that will keep you in place.
At least a 3 point harness(mount it right so you don't become paralyzed if you crash).
New steering wheel(stock sucks for the most part,unless you got a special package one,ie the Nismo wheel that came with some Silvias).
Exhaust system(I know it sounds weird,but it gets the thumbs up from the dorikin as well)
Clutch...stocks not going to hold up for long(lightend flywheel is also nice to throw in)
New pedals(sounds weird...but stock sucks)
A more better gripping shift knob
Racing radiator
Stainless steel brake lines
A better cooling fan
Possibly upgraded brake pads.

I might have forgot a few,but that's pretty primary.Is this car NA or turbo?

drft916
06-13-2004, 07:07 PM
you forgot a lsd........................mMmM

s0nny80y
06-13-2004, 07:10 PM
lucy in the sky with diamonds? lol j/k

i always thought my 1st upgrade would be a 2 way lsd. Strip the car of all its weight (make it feel/look like those drift cars where the inside is ghetto but they spend alotta there money on the exterior), coilovers and the likes, and used tires.

5Z S13
06-13-2004, 09:20 PM
why are limited slips so important though? I always thought you could drift decently without them.

Drift For Food
06-13-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm still using stock, so I can't comment much. However, the way I see it, it's up to you.

Build the car strong enough to handle the forces and hardships of drifting. A better radiator for high rpm cooling, better brake pads and lines for repeated hard braking, things like this. Beef up the weak points, so you're less prone to have failures. Depending on the car or what you plan on doing, you may need almost nothing or quite a few upgrades to get it strong and trustworthy.

Then you have tuning. Stock isn't the best suited for drifting. You'll probably lower and stiffen the springs. You'll add swaybars. You'll change tires and wheels. Camber, caster, and toe will be adjusted to better suit drifting. You'll set it up to have the driving characteristics you're looking for. What's available and how much you can actually adjust may vary by car.

Comfort and safty is another part. This is where the roll cage and seat come in. You want to be safe, so you limit your danger. You also want to be secure and comfortable. Like above, steering wheel and shifter are upgrade options as well. It's all what you want really, some for safety, some for comfort, and some just because it looks cool(skull shifter with red light up eyes comes to mind, lol).

As for me, mine's a daily driver and a mild back road drifter('02 Subaru Forester). My upgrades will be minimal for this car. For its future, I plan on minor suspension stuff, springs and swaybars basically, shocks too if I can find dampening rates anywhere. :rolleyes: It would be so much easier if everyone listed their rates for their springs, shocks, swaybars, etc... I'd get better tires also. Stock is quite...um...crappy, lol. Then I'd go for some better brake pads too later on when I wear mine down. Other than that, there's not much else I'd want. This is just me though. Later on when I get a dedicated drifter(some years from now), I'd really work through it and set it up good, major suspension, weight reduciton, engine tuning, etc...purpose built, but old and as cheap as possible. A basher for under $5000 would be awesome. In time...

Raziel
06-13-2004, 11:48 PM
yah know.. you guys are getting really technical. All you need is a good driver. Go driver your car the way it is and drive the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of it. You'll appreciate little modifications on the way much more. Your car doesnt drift you. You get your car to drift.

Feint
06-14-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by 5Z S13
why are limited slips so important though? I always thought you could drift decently without them.

Without LSD you get the wild one wheel spin,it looks stupid,and gives you less traction/control.There's a certain degree of traction needed in drifting.I gurantee that someone who drifted before getting an LSD and after would drift much better after getting the LSD.Only downfall to them,parking lot driving can be a little bit harder.

blargonator
06-14-2004, 08:46 AM
i asked that question before about lsd and i got a huge answer i did not want to bother to read. so if the car loses traction (normally) it sends power to one wheel. with lsd it keeps the power at an equal rate?

Feint
06-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Basiclly that's the concept behind it.WIthout the LSD the power goes to the inside wheel(I believe),and with it, it's evened out,so it goes to both wheels.

blargonator
06-14-2004, 12:02 PM
thank you for the simple answer. but i guess the other person did have a good point sending me to a site that explains the small details. it is always good to learn something new about drifting.

5Z S13
06-14-2004, 12:46 PM
aren't there a few different types? which would be the best value, im not made of money you know.

marshun
06-15-2004, 12:54 AM
lsd makes the car more predictable to drift.

this is the way im currently going.

coilovers
tein tie rods
lsd
sway bars
the rest of the suspension stuff from tein and battle version

then i'll try and hold off for a while.

i've already got the first two and my lsd is supposed to be in the mail.

Feint
06-15-2004, 04:40 AM
aren't there a few different types? which would be the best value, im not made of money you know.

Yes.clutch,viscous,locking,and torsen.For drifting you'd only be looking at the clutch and the viscous.Viscous is like a slushbox LSD,it uses a fluid inside the housing,they have problems with torque transfer.If you check out what the pros are using,good chance it's a clutch LSD(can anyone name a pro that isn't).Even if a wheel were to lift,with a clutch LSD,the torque is still distributed evenly,which can and does happen sometimes while drifting.Also,since your getting even torque distribution,it makes it more predictable,very important.You don't want to have an unpredictable car for drifting,this could mean kissing the wall.

blargonator
06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
you can always just figure out what each part does in a simple game like GT3. it may not be the same but if you dont have lsd and try to drift only one wheel gets power making it really messed up because it is random of which wheel gets power. then if you buy lsd 2way then obviously both use the same amount of power.

Wickdmarz
06-15-2004, 09:30 AM
I really would just say drift on what you got and then..as you break things up grade lol. My poor person upgrade tatics...

Lots of people say the first thing you should get is an LSD, but I think better suspension is a must.

You can drift without an LSD, drifting is mostly about throwing you momentum and catching it correctly. With open diff you can learn the most about that...I've seen people just only "drift" with an LSD and didn't try with an open, and then they can only "drift" an LSD moded car...::cough cough powerslide cough cough::

But if you want buy an old open diff out of junk yard, and weld the sucker...Drifting with a welded is so much more difficult than anything...the freakin thing just wants to go straight...so you learn to be precise as all hell. The downfall...makes a clanky noise when trying to make sharp turns are low speeds, like right hand turns...

And I like VLSD..some people say it stops working when it gets too hot...I've been in the dessert at around 100-105 mid day (god that sucks lol) but it never stopped working, I think its just an excuse for driver error...

prodigy
06-15-2004, 09:40 AM
what would you recommend be the primary upgrades for drifting, besides the car of course. Didn't know where to put this thread general or tech so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Stiffen up the car. There are a couple cheap techniques besides double plug welding that you can do on your own that will really help the rigidity of the car. Yes, I also agree screw that sound deadening crap. There are also simple cooling mods that are next to nothing in costs and they look cool also.

blargonator
06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
is the sound deadening stuff just dead wieght? because you could always take out the backseats which could probably make up for that stuff.

clay payton
06-15-2004, 09:45 AM
look man, if you're just getting started and want to learn some drifts, you don't need all that stuff, especially if you don't have the money.

first buy some decent tires (you might have to up grade your wheels) and then get suspension upgrades.

hell, I practiced some drifts in a stock ae86 with open rear end and NO upgrades except for nice tires on stock wheels.

so, if people tell you that you need all these special mods to drift, they don't really know what they're talking about, sure the mods make it easier to drift, but, if cash is tight you don't need all that stuff.

blargonator
06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
since when did it cost a ton of money to do simple things like gutting a car? you can do all sorts of things with very little money. i wish i had 5,000 to find a normal car and not a so called basher. i have 1,500 to find a car that is everything. people in southern states do not understand me when i say everything. i mean a car to drive in the snow and a daily driver. even all wheel drive cars can slide.

clay payton
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
i didnt say gutting a car cost a ton of money, my post wasnt even in regards to gutting the car.

i'm not trying to flame anyone here. jesus, lighten up.

but people are suggesting that he get coilovers from tien and a LSD rear end. those are pretty big bucks, and arent gonna do a bit of good if you're using crappy tires. you absolutely need to have controllable traction, which is something a quality tire will give you.

blargonator
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
if he is just learning what is the point of buying tires that will just be destroyed in a matter of days. if he does not have money to burn.

clay payton
06-15-2004, 11:41 AM
so, you're saying he should spend his money on other items, but not buy tires, so then have can have no traction what so ever and potentially crash his car because it's uncontrollable.

also, if he's just learning to drift, he's not going to destroy the tires in a couple days, because when you start you arent doing massive tire smoking drift burnouts.

you learn by doing small breaking drifts, you practice feint maneuvers, you drive your car and learn the limits of traction and it's potential for grip under normal conditions, then you gradually start incorporating different aspects of drifting.

NOT buying decent tires is probably the dumbest thing he could do. at a MINIMUM he needs good front tires. he can bring some crappy rear tires to a drift day.

also, kuhmo 712's are about 50$ on tirerack, which is REALLY cheap for a v rated summer tire.

there is no reason to not buy tires first. hell, i can't think of authority of automotive handling that would tell you not to bother buying tires first.

heck, even the drift king says getting good tires is paramount to handling and should be the first thing one upgrades, and GRM has again and again mentioned that tire upgrades are the most noticable and beneficial upgrade you can do, especially for the relatively low cost of good tires these days.

but, whatever, I'm absolutely through discussing this with you. the guy who made this thread can read the posts and make up his own mind.

just remember, without good tires, every other upgrade is a waste because you won't be able to control the car as well.

Feint
06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
^Dorikin says to start out on junkers dude.....I don't know about you,but in every car I've been in,lose of traction for extended periods of time sends the engine temps up.If cooling isn't addressed,your going to kill some thermostats at least.Even the pro cars sometimes need water poured over the radiator and intercooler to help with cooingl,even though their cars are modded up the ying yang.Also,clutch......Clutch kicking is a very important move,if you want to drift decently,your going to have to kick that clutch,ask any of the pros here.

5Z S13
06-15-2004, 01:08 PM
thanks a lot all of you, the advice really helps as I'm working non-stop, minimum wage job, just to pay for any upgrades, and as a result i have to spend my money wisely.

oh, was wonder about this lsd, good deal or rip off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7905233381&category=33731&sspagename=WDVW

Wickdmarz
06-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Totally JDM...love it. I guess it is a good deal...I don't really care for LSD's...

But yea I totally forgot tires...I get junkers from a tire shop...cheap and it doesnt matter if they get burned up fast...I'll keep to steelies though, if you do pop a tire you don't wanna ride on your nice rims lol.

And cooling..the first thing I did was take out the A/C...well unless your gonna have it as your daily driver...get an electric fan if your model doesn't come with one.

5Z S13
06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Wickdmarz
But yea I totally forgot tires...I get junkers from a tire shop...cheap and it doesnt matter if they get burned up fast...

do you get those mounted at the same shop?

Feint
06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
do you get those mounted at the same shop?

Are you still in high-school by any chance? I don't know about you,but your school/school you graduated from,you should be able to probably do everything for free there if you know how,and of course,the equipment needed is in the garage.

Wickdmarz
06-15-2004, 02:26 PM
No I mount my own tires, and don't care about balance...

Except for my old highschool...had everything but auto shop. Richest school in the discrit...all the spoiled rich kids when there with their bmws, mercedes and outrageously raised trucks...but no shop

blargonator
06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
yeah my school is like that too. except all the kids waste like 18,000 on some stupid gigantic SUV. there is one kid with a brand new M3 though. i do see the need for traction but if a person is just learning do you think they will actually need preformance tires because playing with the e-brake in a parking lot is the same to a begginer with either.

nissanguy_24
06-15-2004, 05:10 PM
I really would just say drift on what you got and then..as you break things up grade lol. My poor person upgrade tatics...

Lots of people say the first thing you should get is an LSD, but I think better suspension is a must.

You can drift without an LSD, drifting is mostly about throwing you momentum and catching it correctly. With open diff you can learn the most about that...I've seen people just only "drift" with an LSD and didn't try with an open, and then they can only "drift" an LSD moded car...::cough cough powerslide cough cough::

I cant tell you how much i agree. A open diff makes the car harder to control.. but thats good when your learning i think. It teaches you as a driver to be on top of your car. It teaches you very important things about countersteering and off throttle control.

People like to complain about cars or mods or lack there of that "snaps back" but if your good and quick you can stay on top of any snapback. Im not going to say a Open diff is easy to carry long drifts and connect half a dozen turns. However With a open differential you can deffenately drift a single corner, or two corners, or perhaps 3 (my best) Simply by staying on top of and even harnessing the snapback effect to carry into the next corner.

I used to use a braking drift into the first corner at highspeed then let it snap back on me abit to enter the next corner.

The point is i learned to drift smoothly with an open differential and i think it trained me in countersteering very well. I do want to get an LSD now though to take it to the next level so to speak.

anyways please ignore my rambling.

5Z S13
06-15-2004, 07:53 PM

Except for my old highschool...had everything but auto shop. Richest school in the discrit...all the spoiled rich kids when there with their bmws, mercedes and outrageously raised trucks...but no shop

oh exact same situation with me right now, i'm driving to school in a bone stock 240 when people who just got their license are been given brand new STi's and audis by their parents, they've never worked a day in their life you know? pisses me off.

Anyway i figure ill save my money a little longer, get better by learning the hard way...

blargonator
06-15-2004, 08:24 PM
im glad some other people have to suffer with me with no money. i actually got a simple idea of going to an auto auction. owning a car someone could not even pay for sounds great. especially if it was a rich kids. haaha actually how hard is it to make a all wheel drive car rear wheel drive?

Wickdmarz
06-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Actually its real simple, from what I've read, haven't done it myself. I was going to take an old school subi, but I couldn't stand the looks of it. Just disable the front controls, and make a few adjustments...I'm not to keen on the technical stuff, but I don't think its too difficult.

Wickdmarz
06-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by nissanguy_24
I cant tell you how much i agree. A open diff makes the car harder to control.. but thats good when your learning i think. It teaches you as a driver to be on top of your car. It teaches you very important things about countersteering and off throttle control.

People like to complain about cars or mods or lack there of that "snaps back" but if your good and quick you can stay on top of any snapback. Im not going to say a Open diff is easy to carry long drifts and connect half a dozen turns. However With a open differential you can deffenately drift a single corner, or two corners, or perhaps 3 (my best) Simply by staying on top of and even harnessing the snapback effect to carry into the next corner.

I used to use a braking drift into the first corner at highspeed then let it snap back on me abit to enter the next corner.

The point is i learned to drift smoothly with an open differential and i think it trained me in countersteering very well. I do want to get an LSD now though to take it to the next level so to speak.

anyways please ignore my rambling.

Well with my personal experience as well as my boyfriends...we find it actually quite easy to connect turns..its all about setting up for the next turn, thats the hardest to learn. Alot of people don't look ahead far enough.

Long drifts do take a lot of momentum, and it would be a little difficult with a small techi track, but nothing a good driver can't overcome.

We're at an event with all these "advanced" drivers, who couldn't keep a tight dounut with a LSD. I mean I wished I had video cuz it was awesome how long my bf (s13 with VLSD) would hold without making the donut bigger. And you know he did the same thing with my open diff...its all driver baby! I've done dounuts myself with my open like tight dounuts, where girls who had LSDs and more track time couldn't do.

Hey Nissan-guy, pm or email if you're available this weekend.