I like Rhys Millen's GTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like Rhys Millen's GTO

that car is amazing BUILT. having seen it up close it's really a racing piece of art. so clean, so well engineered. plus, he's a really good driver.

i feel bad that he was booed.

yea i liek it too. THose dam ppl that boo all ride civics with tenzo r seat covers anyways

Comment

lol. tenzo r seat covers. nice

idunno man but rhys is good. very smooth style. i like it.

Comment

I like the GTO better than the Competition Coupe Viper.At least it's a street legal car,not a tube frame race car,regardless of the engineering behind it.

Comment

i dont think the viper is tube frame, BUT, that's been discussed in another thread.

one thing I noticed is the millen's style is very conservative. like, he would go at a moderate pace, and then the car would just pitch sideways.

but, like, some of the lower powered drivers (like Gushi or Fixmer) would sorta haulass and start the drift a lot earlier, which is much better to watch, and they usually hold really good lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
            I like the GTO better than the Competition Coupe Viper.At least it's a street legal car,not a tube frame race car,regardless of the engineering behind it.
            millen's gto is not street legal.

but perhaps you meant, the gto in general. if so, i see ur point.

to the viper's defense, the GTO has more drift engineering in it than the viper, by far.

Comment

Originally posted by clay payton

one thing I noticed is the millen's style is very conservative. like, he would go at a moderate pace, and then the car would just pitch sideways.

but, like, some of the lower powered drivers (like Gushi or Fixmer) would sorta haulass and start the drift a lot earlier, which is much better to watch, and they usually hold really good lines.

Your mistaken..

hes not being conservative at all, its a strategy that i first saw him implore at Laguna Seca. And it has nothing to do with power but rather weight. Gushi and Fixmer cars are not monsters but they are not underpowered either..

See Rhys' biggest disadvantage is his weight. Even with 800 lbs dropped off the car he still weighs 300 lbs more then a stock S13. However his strategy is simple. When leading go in slow. break traction with your power, not weight transfer then use the momentum of your heavy car to slide you threw. Lighter cars cant carry a slow drift that long. Furthermore They dont expect to go in slow, thats against there drifting instinct.

Lets say your gushi.. gushi style is fast seems to use alot of weight transfer for his first drift. Your behind the GTO you come in fast, he comes in fast, suddenly he brakes hard. Early.. you brake to match him. Instead of going into the drift he waits, because hes too early. you loose your momentum, and your weight transfer technique. Suddenly he pitches the car early pressed down and uses the thick torque curve to break traction. His massive weight carries him threw excellently. You on the other hand now have to pitch your car.. Now your car isnt underpowered but its a 2 liter turbo, So you dont enter it as smooth.. Further more your car probably weighs under 2500 lbs. Giving you alot less inertia to carry this less then steller drift.

You go side by side against the GTO though not as smooth, this slow style is alien to you.. he exits a smooth drift punches the gas and takes off with his big power to the next turn. You exit it punch the gas, and follow him.. Now a car like Gushi's isnt slow. but its still not as impressive as the GTo whos covering you with smoke.

You clear the smoke, aproch the next turn and the bastard does it again!

You can see this isnt a conservative style, its a strategy to turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength. Rhys is a very smart driver, and one hell of a clever guy to come up with it.

I saw him use this strategy again and again to shame every driver he went up against at laguna seca. Only gushi was able to stop him and gushi did it by matching his moves the best he can then enter the Andretti hairpin faster then any race car i saw that day So fast that the heavy GTO simply could not match the speeds safely.

A good strategy but not unbeatable obviously.

Rhys is a hell of a driver, and a hell of a strategist, And hes impressive to see. this is no longer the clumsy car and driver combination we saw at the D1, but rather a real competitor whos unique style is a threat to all other drifters who can not adapt.

Comment

BTW, Millen's Car has about 10 -25 K worth of modifications. Well he's done more, but he personally estimates that he can reproduce the car with that much money.

The Viper's Tube Frame should be illegal... Sorry... That's just my opinion. It might be stock but that's like the L.A. Lakers buying their championship trophy by buying players like Karl Malone... Rediculous... I hope they loose, they are soo close to loosing...

Matt.

Comment

hey, nice informative post, i didnt really think about the "stategy" of it.

Comment

That strategy doesn't seem to work quite as well for Rhys when he is following someone as can be seen by the last D1 pictures that people put together. Since Rhys isn't going as fast, he isn't keeping up with the faster cars in front of him so I don't think he is getting as good of scores. I haven't been to any of the Formual D events though to watch how he has been doing lately. When he was on Speed channel show a few months back with that drift car it was amazing to watch how much angle he could get and hold with that car. Really would like to have a car with 60 deg of steering angle.

Comment

Originally posted by cjm
                      That strategy doesn't seem to work quite as well for Rhys when he is following someone as can be seen by the last D1 pictures that people put together. Since Rhys isn't going as fast, he isn't keeping up with the faster cars in front of him so I don't think he is getting as good of scores. I haven't been to any of the Formual D events though to watch how he has been doing lately. When he was on Speed channel show a few months back with that drift car it was amazing to watch how much angle he could get and hold with that car. Really would like to have a car with 60 deg of steering angle.
                      He did not have this strategy when he was at the D1. He was so farbehind the japanese drivers because he sucked then... Well he didnt suck but you have to understand he had just gotten to use the car. By the time of Laguna Seca it seems he had developed this style to throw off the faster cars. But it does only work When hes following.

Thats why it took someone like Ken Gushi going insanely fast to force him to attempt it too. See Rhys' style may be alittle slow in general because the car is so heavy its hard to enter the corners at high speed safely, However hes an excellent driver and only the best drifters can throw him off with high speed drifts. Despite the weight of his GTO if the drifter in front is not very good he cant go fast enough to throw him off.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman

The Viper's Tube Frame should be illegal... Sorry... That's just my opinion. It might be stock but that's like the L.A. Lakers buying their championship trophy by buying players like Karl Malone... Rediculous... I hope they loose, they are soo close to loosing...

Matt.
                        booo on u.... =p

Comment

I'm partial.

Comment

Rhys is taking the GTO to Pikes Peak

http://www.gtodrift.com/Pikes_Release.htm

The 2004 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado also serves as part of the SCCA ProRally Series event, taking place June 24~26, 2004

There might be Speed channel coverage...

Comment

the comercial for the GTO is really cool and they look stylish while drifting. i wish i was in cali..... GTOs are beasts though. for the money i would rather go with something else but american muscle would be cool to drift with.

Comment

Working...
                              X