SpaceShip One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceShip One

Is it the ultimate drift machine? nah i doubt it. But it may very well be the first private space craft to break into space. And its launching from my back yard, Majove. Another milestone in the avation history set here in kern county.

Here is a shot of it. Im 95 percent sure the moutains in the background, on the far side of them is bakersfield, ca. My home town.

They have been 40 miles up before.

And Monday the 21st of June 2004 they will be shooting for 62 miles, Which will offically make it a suborbital space plane. In a few months they will try for two flights in two weeks with the same vehichle, if successful they will win a 10 million dollar prize and more then likely be in business selling flights.

its not drifting, but i figure its important enough to spread the word.

how did you find all this out?

Comment

Its been on a news a number of times. Furthermore the gentlemen doing it have a website with lots of pictures.

Comment

wow, i haven't heard a thing, thanks for the info. My dads an aero engineer, he talks about this kind of stuff all the time, he hasn't said a thing about it.

Comment

I'm headed up there to watch it take off. Leaving tonight, spending the night, and heading out there EARLY tomorrow morning.

I'll try to take some pictures and get them up on my host so I can share.

Comment

That would be awesome, I would love to see this thing

Comment

I'll have photos up by Wednesday at the latest. I also have photos of a Civic Del Sol Type-X (as in X-wing from Star Wars. Yes, it's a trip.)

We stayed in Lancaster and woke up at 2:50am to wait in line to get in. That didn't take too long, so we walked around for a while and watched the sun come up. Then, at around 6:20, the chase plane took off, followed by Spaceship One, carried by the White Knight. It took a while for the White Knight to reach altitude, but when it did Spaceship One dropped and took off like a rocket. (A rocket taking off like a rocket? You don't say!) It climbed until we couldn't see the contrail any more, then glided back down to Mojave Spaceport. Cheers rang out. It's all over the news.

Comment

Im in bakersfield and was going to come up at the last minute but something came up. Ill go out when they shoot for the Xprize.

Comment

cool, pics! Im suprised this hasnt reached the east coast yet.

Comment

Originally posted by su_maverick
                    cool, pics! Im suprised this hasnt reached the east coast yet.
                    What do you mean by reach the east coast? it is all over the news if thats what you mean.

Comment

not our local or papers.

Comment

if you dont hear anything on local news tonight or in the paper tomorrow then you need better media. Or CNN.

Comment

This is off there website. Cool pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

i read something about the idea over a couple of years ago in scientific american, i think this is the same thing i read about. it would be used for international flights and it would get there really fast, because it goes into space and does something similar to skipping a rock, accross the atmosphere. or something like that. that's what i read about at least. oh well, sounds cool, shouldn't take too long to get to australia or japan if they get it working.

- Peace

Comment

That's Spaceship One underneath White Knight.

(That last one is a pic of me amongst the sea of vehicles. I'm wearing a gray shirt and tan Dickies and looking through binoculars.)

There's Spaceship One gliding in for landing after completing its 62-mile high flight.

Me, JDM tYtE pose in front of the most Star-Wars-ed out car ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X