complete newbie thinking about getting a drifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete newbie thinking about getting a drifter

im a newbie at drifting, never even drifted before but i've been thinking of getting a drift cars, im not quite sure whats good or not but it looks like the 240sx is a popular car,

(QUESTION #1) I would like to know what kind of funds are needed for this sport?

starting from nothing, i know this is a vague question but starting from cost of the cars, getting it into proper shape, tires, etc, i'm not too sure whats involved.

(QUESTION #2) this might look like a stupid question but, could a car like the 240sx or other popular older drift cars be ok to use as your daily driving cars?

(QUESTION #3)do you need special tires for drifting or is it mostly a car type/car setup issue?

(QUESTION #4) Another thing, where can i actually drift legally in an organized place, in southern california (los angeles actually)

im really seriously thinking about getting a car, but still researching, anyways theres a event going on this week in fontana that i plan on attending to further research this, thanks alot, and thanks for reading this long *Censored**Censored**Censored* post

[EDITED]

Hmmm... lets see

1. Well, I'd say you need about 5k to start out, but some poepl would disagree. 5K would buy you a descent car, and would still alott you some money to fix it up and add a couple after market parts. If its your first car, then click here and read it. Its all about first cars. Tires can get expensive. So if you are loking in to drifting, I'd suggest buying a cheap maybe 25000 mile tires (about 50-75 bucks a pop at my local walmart super center) to learn on and save the life of the tires already on the car.

2. 240s are wonderful cars! I own a 300z and I'm thinking about buying a 240 for my cusin (though thats not official yet.) Any cars is great for daily use.

3. You dont need "special tires," but some are better then others. It all depends on the type of tred really.

4. On a track... You can "drift" legally on a public road aslong as you are going the speed limit, staying with in your lane, and not wrecklessly driving.

Also remember that if you want to learn how to drift, look for Nissanguy_24's "Drifting 101" post. Its very useful.
    I hope that helped out...

Comment

thanks for the reply, much appriciated, and i found that thread you mentioned, its at

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=4238

im going to do more research and now I know at least somekind of ballpark as far as price is concerned for these cars, oh and btw, are regular parts for the 240sx easy/hard to come by? not racing specific parts but just normal factory parts

Comment

.:sigh:. please don't call them drifters....

On a track... You can "drift" legally on a public road aslong as you are going the speed limit, staying with in your lane, and not wrecklessly driving.
        so you can't...legally drift on the streets...

anywho, welcome to the boards.

Comment

You don't need 5k. I have to disagree there. You can get a feel for the sport with a stock car. You can get cheap tires at the take off store and you don't even know if you are going to like it so doing anything to a car just for that reason is kinda ill advised at this stage of the game.

Get a RWD car, then slide it. Simple as that. If you don't have anyone around you that does it, watch videos, look at what they are doing and then go try it. If you like it after that, then start sinking money into it.

Um whoever said that quote is completely not thinking. If you honestly believe that you can "Legally" drift on a public road if you stay in your lane and do the speed limit, then I got 3 Lambo Diablos that i'll sell you for 10,000 apiece but you have to send me the money first. I'll send you the cars later.

You CANNOT Drift on public roads legally. EVER!!. If you want proof, go out and do it in your lane under the speed limit in front of a cop and let him explain it to you while you are in cuffs. Drifting IS wreckless driving personified in a cops eyes. So don't get eliminated.
          Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 06-21-2004, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I'd suggest buying a cheap maybe 25000 mile tires (about 50-75 bucks a pop at my local walmart super center) to learn on and save the life of the tires already on the car
            man, you can get V rated Kuhmo Esta 712's for $60 at tirerack.com.

Comment

also, this is obvious sarcasm
              4. On a track... You can "drift" legally on a public road aslong as you are going the speed limit, staying with in your lane, and not wrecklessly driving.
              because drifting is over the speed limit, it goes in the other lane, and it's wreckless.

yall need to brush up on your reading comprehension

Comment

Originally posted by WildSe7en
                so you can't...legally drift on the streets...
                Thats kinda what I was getting at. It was a joke.. thats what the "" was for.
                Last edited by VertigoEpidemic; 06-21-2004, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clay payton
                  man, you can get V rated Kuhmo Esta 712's for $60 at tirerack.com.
                  Good find, but what about shipping and all that?... I'm assuming they do ship the tires to you...?

Comment

as far as shipping is concerned, it was about 30$ total, for all 4 tires shipped to my house.

then, i just went to a local service station after the mechanics are gone and asked the local kid to mount and balance the tires for $20 under the table.

the kids that work there know me, and would actually do it for free, or, for a pack of smokes. but I usually flow em a 20$ just cuz, they are doing me a huge favor and I know how it is to be working at some job all night for not a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by clay payton
                      also, this is obvious sarcasm

because drifting is over the speed limit, it goes in the other lane, and it's wreckless.

yall need to brush up on your reading comprehension
                      Hey now, I appreciate the fact you made a thread about it 'cause I posted a sarcastic comment in another forum and I got dogged on about being a racist. But it's a simple mistake, Ghost has been around long enough and earned people's respect. I think his reading comprehension is top notch.

So anyway dont want to get off topic here, so I'll contribute to this thread. I agree with everyone else here...minus the stupid ones

Comment

Advice:

Just about anything can be drifted. Even shopping carts. (Even though RWD is the way to go)

Just have fun and dont make it to serious.

BTW...
                        You can get a 240 shell + and KA engine + extras for well under $4000.

Comment

still havent decided what car I want and I wont for a small while, till then ill be saving and reading as much as i can find, I ordered a video today, Drift Bible, it seems to be recommended alot on here

Comment

Good man, read learn watch go to events and shows. You will have plenty of time to drift when your ready.

Comment

Actually, Drifting doesn't have to be over the speed limit, you don't have to leave your lane and if you are good and can do the above, then you really aren't that wreckless. Maybe you just aren't that good

Comment

Working...
                              X