Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiero, i gotta know!!!!

i have a buddy who just bought a fiero.

now, all i've heard is that they're a POS car and such and nearly impossible to get real insurance or something like that. i think they're RWD (i'm bored so i'm asking).

so what do'ya think??? for a $500 car is it a good drift weapon????

any and all opinions appreciated, and thread jackin encouraged

It's RWD alright. M/R to be exact. It's actually a nice car if you don't buy one of those stupid Ferrari kits for it. Could be fun in the canyons, and it'll go sideways if you want it to.

Comment

The early four-cylinder cars had notoriously bad engines that have this nasty tendency of catching fire. The 87 and 88 six cylinder cars are actually pretty good, though. The car just never overcame the early bad image and it never caught on.

Comment

thanks for the replies

Comment

what does one of these look like

Comment

^ an odd version of a MKII Mr2

Comment

The Fiero was acutally designed by the same man who designed the older model Lotus Esprit. I believe they even shared the same engine for a while. The two cars do look a lot alike as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

so...who makes it

Comment

pontiac did back in the day

Comment

oh ok thanks

Comment

Plus its light because they used that space age frame construction, but my worry is that the frame is weak. It might flex while you are sliding, and if you crash the frame will probably get bent. Here in Hawaii we have a guy that swapped a Chevy V8 into one of those cars. Probably not good for drifting, (weight wise) but wow its fast. I guess if it can handle 475hp then the frame is not as weak as I think ... but I still would worry

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                        Plus its light because they used that space age frame construction, but my worry is that the frame is weak. It might flex while you are sliding, and if you crash the frame will probably get bent. Here in Hawaii we have a guy that swapped a Chevy V8 into one of those cars. Probably not good for drifting, (weight wise) but wow its fast. I guess if it can handle 475hp then the frame is not as weak as I think ... but I still would worry
                        The front could be braced up pretty well im sure, like a MR2 they ahve a big cargo area instead of a engine bay in the front right? Plus adding weight up there would only help to even out the weight ditstribution. As for stiffening up the rear im not sure. I can only go on the Mr2 my budy has, and they are similar cars in that regard. But there really isnt anyplace to put bars and stuff to stiffen it up. Maybe something over the engine? i dont know, but im sure it can be done.

Comment

Seam welding...foam injection into the frame,forget what the foam they use is called though.Both would stiffen up the frame,and with the foam such things as vibration would be absorbed as well as preventing flex.

Comment

Custom rollcage upfront

Comment

that will be a HARD car to drift. Any MR car is. Mind you, once you get on top of it, and can drift it, you'll love it.

The reason why is it so difficult to drift is because it has a low moment of inertia, like a Toyota MR2, etc... All the weight is in the middle, so it doesn't take much to make it snap out quite quickly. It's good for turn in though. It will turn in faster than any FR car available. The thing is, it will need just the right amount of initiation for a drift. Not enough? it'll push like hell. Just a little bit too much? Round she spins. Just right? Pure heaven.

My only MR experience is with MK1 MR2's, which are a little better balanced than a Fiero. The Fiero has a little more weight distribution toward the rear, so it will take a lot more effort to get the *Censored**Censored**Censored* out. But once you do, it will want to continue around, so watch out. This will be a car that you want to do a LOT of practice in a parking lot or something, NOT on a public road (unless you love ditches).

Comment

Working...
                              X