rb instead of sr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rb instead of sr

in a 240 i would rather swap a rb into it rather than a sr what do you all think

I'd rather swap in a 13b, but that's a motor I'd throw in everything. An RB in an S-chassis is becoming more and more common, so if you're just doing it to be original, don't bother.

Comment

been done

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/engines.php

Comment

Swap in a motor heavier than the KA?
        No, thank you. If you have a horsepower fetish, just upgrade an SR20DET. Don't go about screwing up the balance of the S13 just to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
          Swap in a motor heavier than the KA?
          No, thank you. If you have a horsepower fetish, just upgrade an SR20DET. Don't go about screwing up the balance of the S13 just to be different.
          The RB doesn't screw up the balance...especially if you get the McKinney kit,which sits the motor pretty low and far enough back so that everything fits in place properly with out sacrificing weight balance.If your that picky about weight balance...a 240 would be the wrong car for you..

Comment

Originally posted by swifty949
            been done

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/engines.php
            So? We are drifters not wanna be rebels.

As for the Rb, its an excellent swap idea. However its costly, and adds weight to the car, you need to know what your doing to install it (dispite what the guys who sell the motors will tell you) And it takes some skill to tune it all to handle right. Your not just going to be slapping one into a stock S13 for example and go drifting.

However it can be very potent do alot of reading and talk to the guys who have done it. Plus nothing looks sexier under the hood of a S13 then a Rb25.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

and adds weight to the car,

Moreover, it adds weight to the front of the car. Although this is more or less a good place for extra weight when drifting, it may not suit your style. SMC was right in saying this can be corrected by chassis tuning, but the basic characteristic of being front-heavy can't be changed. Just some food for though.

Comment

I've seen custom motor mounts that have actualy improved weight distribution over the stock KA or SR. However im sure these cars had little things done like the battery moved to the rear ect.. It can be made pretty even you know. But like i said its not exactly slap one in and go.

Comment

Hmmm

What's the difference in weight between the two motors?

Comment

Near or over 100 lbs. However alot of the Extra weight is in the transmission which is much beefier then the SR and KA transmissions. Which puts alot of the weight in a good area.. And with the motor back as far as possible it keeps the weight tucked in pretty good. However you understand the RB is a physically much larger engine. So nothing you do will make it lighter nor are you ever going to be able to make the distribution better then you can make a sr or ka.

I think the real trick with chassis tunning.. asumming you have the good mounts and stuff, is handling the extra weight. Extra weight on the suspension, brakes everything.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                      However it can be very potent do alot of reading and talk to the guys who have done it. Plus nothing looks sexier under the hood of a S13 then a Rb25.
                      wrong!!! 1 thing is sexier: and RB26DETT . some guy here in LA has one in his red S14.

i know what ur gonna say: i said S13. well an RB26 in an S13 looks sexy too.

Comment

26b 4 rotor if yu wanna be different
                        oh but they cost about 100k

Comment

Originally posted by Hachi-roku04
                          26b 4 rotor if yu wanna be different
                          oh but they cost about 100k
                          Not really.Line up the housings and fabricate the e-shaft to build a 4 rotor(a little more to this).Your not getting the engine out of a 767B.

Comment

Don't forget that not only is the weight located near the front, but it also is increased up higher. A higher center of gravity is kinda the antithesis of drift prep. Just food for thought.

Comment

www.tophatperformance.com.

My brothers site and he makes the mounts for the RB swap. RB's are great and they are actually cheaper to get than the SR's if you look cause it's not as popular.

I'd do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X