Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Direction of the Sport of Drifting: Where do we want it to go

Hey Everybody:

I hope you don't mind but I've moved a couple of my post to a new Topic cause I thought you all should consider it. If you think this is a dumb topic, let me know and I'll delete it........

This originaly was on a post that the Viper was the main subject.......

originally posted by Tsunami
    Nissanguy the PVO Competition Coupe isn't the 800hp Carbon-fibered monster you think it is. It's still the stock Viper chassis (no tube frame stuff), and suspension, plus all they did to the motor is put headers and straight exhaust on it plus a cold-air intake. I think it's around 525-550 hp. The body is stock save for the wing and splitter (I dunno if it has widened fenders or not), plus the suspension is stock viper, although I think they may have tweaked the dampening some. They upgraded the brakes and removed the heater and A/C. Inside they gave it a digital dash. That's it. Basically you could make a comp coupe street legal easily. It's basically a spec racer for ALMS and Speed GT.
    originally posted by myself
    You might want to read this: http://www.vipercompetitioncoupe.co...s/features.html
    and look at the pictures. This aint your Grandfathers Viper......

I guess we all have to ask ourselves, is this what we want the grassroots sport of Drifting to become? I know a bad driver in a great car can't win. God knows Samuel does an awesome job behind the wheel (as he would in any car he'd drive). However, motorsports has a bad habit of allowing it's competitors to spend themselves right out of the sport. Name ANY series and I'll show you how the rules/or lack of them have made it where a great driver that doesn't have a lot of money is forced to the sidelines because he can't make his car a bad-*Censored**Censored**Censored* as a guy with sponsors/personal money, etc.

IMO, one of the cool things about Drifting is that there is only 1 class. Even the D1 cars (as trick as they are) can still be beaten by a guy with some time on his hands and a few good parts in a "street derived" car. I believe Lateral G's Viper was a matter of convenience and lack of time. BUT, if we and the officials of this sport allow "purpose built" racing chassis cars it'll be just a matter of time before some guy (with good driving skills) comes with an unlimited budget and builds the Formula 1 of drift cars. Then where will all of us be with our "street hot rods"?

It's really up to all of us. We need to tell the officials of these events what we want! You've got to speak out! If you've got a ton of cash, go buy yourself a $120,000 Viper or an ex-Trans-AM car. If you're a Regular Joe like me, you better speak now, cause it won't be long until you'll be relegated to the "amateur only" class at your local stadium
    parking lot...........

originally posted by noobster

hey sam-

as you know, motorsports is a business. drifting is now a business.

almost every motorsport requires sponsors in order to elevate the level of competition. sponsors bring cash. drivers and teams need cash to be competitive. competitive, technologically advanced race cars bring media and put seats in the stands. media sells advertising. butts in the seats sells merchandise and tix sales.

what does this do to the grassroots racer? well, do grassroots racers even "care" about competition or do they just want to drift? you have 2 schools of thought. one school is a purist who just wants to keep the sport underground. 2nd school wants to drift at events but probably isn't as concerned about winning rather just having fun and competing.

the 2nd school of racers will always have their grassroots events. always. there are tons of series out there that support grassroots racers.

however, since drifting is a sport that crossesover many different age groups and audiences, the sport is going to get bigger and bigger. this will create "pro" series for the highest level of competition AND technologically advanced cars.

we just happen to be involved in the sport before the "pro" series is created. but as you can see, it appears that we're getting closer and closer to that point. a "pro" series is going to emerge and it will be the "F1" of drift series for the top racers and top teams. in my opinion, this is the reality of it.

In response to noobster's thoughtfull opinion:

Noobster,

You make very good points and I too see the writing on the wall. The good news is that we as competitors have the ability to help steer the sport in a direction that helps all of us regardless of our financial statement. I agree that it’s only a matter of time before this sport really gets big here in America. AND I also agree there will be an “Elite” division down the road, however……

A sport is only as strong as it’s smallest participants. Know one can stand on the top of a Pyramid unless it is supported by others. It is those “supporters” that (if they chose) will work their way up to the top through experience/practice and raise the sport to the next higher level. One of the things that stick & ball” sports have going for them is that any kid can play them even if he/she doesn’t have any money. All they need is talent and drive for with a good amount of perseverance there’s a good chance they can make it to the top and make a living at it. In some cases, even become very wealthy.

If we allow Drifting to get out of hand (read: unlimited specially built cars), there will be a bit of a “power vacuum” where those people that don’t have a ton of money won’t even be able to compete in the Elite class because their little cars will be so out matched. When (because of money) a person has no chance of rising to the top, they eventually will give up and go somewhere else where they can succeed, i.e. another sport. I’ve seen it happen for many years. Look at any elite series and you’ll see short fields. For example: IRL last weekend 20 cars, F1 Indy- 20 cars, NASCAR field fillers every week, CART field getting smaller almost every week, Sports Car racing (you pick the series) a joke…. etc.

That, I feel is one of the reasons we have so many different racing series in America now. A kid who may have all the talent in the world but no cash (to speak of) simply can’t make the jump from amateur to pro (or even semi-pro) without major corporate backing. Now the fact is that “rich kids” can be good racecar drivers too (and God bless them for being dropped down the right chimney), but at this juncture we have the ability to build this sport in a manner that the “little guy” can make it to the top based on his or her skills. Sure they’ll still need to spend some cash on the basic components that enable a car to “drift” properly, but in my opinion, they shouldn’t need to have a “purpose built” tube-frame car to compete. That is not to say that I think NOW you have to bring a All Out Factory Race Car to win (although our favorite Swede is bucking that thought----- love ya Sammy , but if those with the authority keep the rules tight, a driver would be able to compete in a car that’s performance has improved over time with his or her skills……..

Look, I’m not saying I don’t want this sport to get big. Quite the contrary. I want this sport to get huge! I just have seen too many really good drivers slip though the cracks cause they got to a certain level and ran out of money…….. This should not be a “rich guys only sport” and right now we have the ability to keep that from happening………

Keep look’n out the side windows……….

Comment

i do not agree with allowing "purpose built" drift cars in D1... look at Alex competing with his personal AE86. he is a great driver and is competive with his own personal car. but i do hope the american car makers will get involved in the sport... hopefully we will begin to see rear wheel drive platforms come back, hopefully being lightweight, from the american manufaturers. i don't drive a AE86 because its japanese, i drive it because its a great car to drift in. if chevy made a car that was great to drift in i'd drive that if it was better than my AE86 (and cheaper). and hopefully we will get more aftermarket support over here so we don't have to pay all that money for "JDM" just because thats the best (or only) stuff we can buy.
      i really hope the sport doesn't go to ovals... man that sould really be discouraged. then maybe if it was popular we could get more and better road course tracks.

Comment

i think thats why you have multiple series....for example (perhaps a bad one but...)

NASCAR- elite sports car series
        Busch- "almost there" sports car series
        Winston West/East- aspiring to "almost there" sports car series
        Local Circle Track Racing- Grassroots sports car series

This gives the "poor" guy a chance to prove what he's worth by competing in grassroots series. If he's really good, people WILL hear about him and he'll progressively move onward and upward.

I see drifting heading the same way. The "elite" series is going to be developed that is going to have high technologically advanced cars with super talented drivers. I see all kinds of cars involved be it japanese, german, american, italian, korean, etc. The "elite" series will be the top of the pyramid saved for the best talent with the cars EVERYONE wants to see.

The grassroots series are the series that need to be extremely careful about what they allow in. You can't allow crazy tube frame cars into grassroots series. its just not fair.

BUT, Formula Drift is NOT a "grassroots"series in my opinion. It's more of an "elite" series.

HOWEVER, I think you could allow less advanced cars into the "elite" series IF they can be competitive.

Following me?

Comment

This topic has been discused several times.Just use the search button.

Comment

Um, isn't ANY Drift car purpose built? All the cars in D1 are built with one thing in mind, Drifting. They aren't built for their comfortable ride and great cargo space for the kids and groceries. They are built to slide. Yes even Alex's car is built for Drifting not running to the store for a Pepsi and some Slim Jims. Actually ALL the Japanese cars are built for Drifting as well, so it isn't the "American" style of Drifting, it's Drifting in general.

I don't readily agree with the Viper, moreso I don't agree with the block, Drift style of the driver of said Viper, but you can't blame that on America and say that we are screwing up Drifting. Then to say that you don't agree with American Drifting because we are having purpose built Drift cars is just hypocritical.

And yes, this has been argued and covered so many times I see it in my sleep. Get over it already, you can't change it. 48% of the people here won't ever get good enough to run against the Viper, 2% are actually running against it and the other 50% can't even legally drive yet so why do you care? Enjoy the new found fame that the sport is getting, get the new parts that are filtering over and wait til the hype dies down. The Viper running is not impacting anybody except a handfull of people here, if they are still here. Let them worry about it. Just go out and drive.

Comment

Well said Ghost.

Comment

That's how we roll in the A.T.L. Rooney.

Comment

My sentra is begging for a taste of the dragons tail.

Comment

Well if I was trying to compete against the Viper then I guess it might be a hot issue, but even then, I wouldnt lose any sleep or anything. Even if the guy had 200 more HP than me I would really care because I have my own style and he has his. The better style/technique will win, not the car.

But for me as a driver right now, I dont really care at all. I dont see anything happening at Formula D that will be affecting the grassroots scene at my local track. I can pretty much guarantee you I'll have a lot of fun at the next Drift Session, and to me, thats what matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X